Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

What A Disgrace

#1 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:38 pm

This is being released on DVD and Blu Ray on March, 23 2009. Amazon UK ahs the BR for pre-order, but unfortunately, not the DVD (otherwise I'd have placed my first DVD order of the year). No details yet.

John Hodson

Re: Saturday Night, Sunday Morning

#2 Post by John Hodson » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:10 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:This is being released on DVD and Blu Ray on March, 23 2009. Amazon UK ahs the BR for pre-order, but unfortunately, not the DVD (otherwise I'd have placed my first DVD order of the year). No details yet.
I was told late last year:

SNSM will feature newly telecined and remastered HD presentation of the film (which will differ from our old DVD version).

We anticipate it having having the same extras as our DVD, but - as is the case with our Loneliness BD - these will been re-created to allow us to present at full 1080 resolution (as opposed to upscaled SD content). Extras are still slightly TBC though.

MichaelB

Re: Saturday Night, Sunday Morning

#3 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:20 pm

I'm not in a position to confirm full specs yet (I'm hoping to get my hands on a checkdisc next week), but I can confirm that extras will include new HD transfers of Karel Reisz's two Free Cinema films, Momma Don't Allow (1956) and We Are The Lambeth Boys (1959).

UPDATE: Apologies - I've only just discovered that the shorts are being split across the two releases, so Momma Don't Allow is accompanying The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner.
Last edited by MichaelB on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

Re: Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

#4 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:21 am

I can now confirm full specs:
A film by Karel Reisz
Starring Albert Finney, Shirley Anne Field and Rachel Roberts

The much-admired British New Wave classic is re-issued on DVD and released on Blu-ray in new High-Definition transfers, alongside The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (Tony Richardson, 1962)

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, a seminal film of the British New Wave, was a great box-office success when it opened in 1960 – audiences were thrilled by its anti-establishment energy, gritty realism, and above all by its fresh, outspoken working-class hero.

In the industrial streets and factories of Nottingham, Arthur Seaton (Albert Finney) spends his days at the factory bench, his evenings in the local pubs and his nights in the arms of Brenda (Rachel Roberts), the wife of a fellow factory worker. Irresistibly handsome and brimming with animal vitality, Arthur is anti-authority and unashamedly amoral….“What I’m out for is a good time. All the rest is propaganda.”

Based on Alan Sillitoe’s largely autobiographical novel, and with powerful central performances, crackling dialogue and a superb jazz score by Johnny Dankworth, the film stands as a vibrant modern classic.

Special features
• Commentary by film historian Robert Murphy, with writer Alan Sillitoe and cinematographer Freddie Francis
• New filmed interview with Shirley Anne Field
• Audio interview with Albert Finney
We Are the Lambeth Boys (1959) – Karel Reisz’s classic Free Cinema documentary
• Illustrated booklet containing essays and biographies

Release date: 23 March 2009
RRP: DVD £17.99 / cat. no. BFIVD784 / Blu-ray £22.99 / cat. no. BFIB1004
UK / 1960 / black and white / 89 mins / cert PG / original aspect ratio 1.66:1
Optional subtitles for the hearing-impaired
I'll confirm when I get a checkdisc (later this week, hopefully), but I believe the Blu-ray is HD throughout (i.e. including the Shirley Anne Field interview and We Are The Lambeth Boys).

What A Disgrace

#5 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:06 pm

So Michael, why has the DVD not been listed on Amazon?

A similar brainfart to MoC's A Time to Love?

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:22 pm

I would have thought asking Amazon might be more fruitful.

What A Disgrace

#7 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:37 pm

I have asked Amazon, but no dice.

The saga continues, though: the DVD listing for Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner has now changed into a 2nd listing of Saturday Night, Sunday Morning Blu Ray.

John Hodson

#8 Post by John Hodson » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:15 pm

I've only had chance to have a brief look at this (and 'Loneliness'), but, even disregarding any aspect ratio issues, I think it's marginally the better of the two transfers; appears to be quite lovely and very film-like. The PCM mono soundtrack is also impressive. 'We are The Lambeth Boys' looks great in hi-def too. Fabulous work from the BFI.

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:18 pm

John Hodson wrote:I've only had chance to have a brief look at this (and 'Loneliness'), but, even disregarding any aspect ratio issues, I think it's marginally the better of the two transfers; appears to be quite lovely and very film-like.
My colleagues (one in particular) will be very happy to hear this, as the BFI did that transfer from scratch from original film elements - as mentioned in the other thread, Loneliness was bought in from Warner Bros (albeit with a bit of digital cleanup along the way).

John Hodson

#10 Post by John Hodson » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:25 pm

MichaelB wrote:
John Hodson wrote:I've only had chance to have a brief look at this (and 'Loneliness'), but, even disregarding any aspect ratio issues, I think it's marginally the better of the two transfers; appears to be quite lovely and very film-like.
My colleagues (one in particular) will be very happy to hear this, as the BFI did that transfer from scratch from original film elements - as mentioned in the other thread, Loneliness was bought in from Warner Bros (albeit with a bit of digital cleanup along the way).
I'm being slightly restrained because I've yet to watch it through Michael, but even a brief comparison underlines it's superority. They should be rightly proud of the results.

What A Disgrace

#11 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:22 pm

And the DVD is finally up for pre-order on Amazon UK!

MichaelB

#12 Post by MichaelB » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:44 am

Dr Amicus

#13 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:15 pm

There's another pre-order added to my many.

Those Beaver screencaps look fantastic - but I have to say I'd prefer it if Runner had the better transfer, as I prefer the film. But hell - I can't really complain. I'm just glad someone's putting these films out in such apparently top notch editions. Considering the endless clag taking up most of the space on Blu-Ray displays, it's really good to see something decent there.

I can't remember where I saw it, but someone recently (?) said that Blu-Ray B&W was the best kept secret around (or words to that effect). These will be my first BRs in B&W - and I can't wait to see what they look like in the flesh (so to speak).

MichaelB

#14 Post by MichaelB » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:13 am

DVD Times
This is a true honey of a transfer the BFI has produced. The enclosed booklet states that the film was transferred in high definition using an original 35mm finegrain film element from the BFI National Archive. The picture was then restored to remove various dirt and scratches, which has been accomplished beautifully here. The detail shines through boldly and contrast too looks exceptional. It's an improvement over the simultaneous release of The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, and the brightness is comparatively toned down. Some mild grain has still been retained, but at a consistent and appropriate level. There obviously haven't been too many black and white films brought to Blu-ray thus far, but the only one I've seen that outdoes the BFI's work here is Casablanca from Warner Bros.

Dr Amicus

#15 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:06 am

This arrived yesterday, along with Runner, and I've only had time to have a quick look - but I have to say all the praise this has had so far looks to be entirely justified. Runner looks good, but this looks fantastic. I watched the opening scene, and the detail in the factory was very impressive. I'm really looking forward to watching the whole film again.

Also, We Are The Lambeth Boys looks as if that is first rate as well. It's a few years since I've seen it (on the old vhs) but I remember it as a fascinating period piece.

Basically, if you like the film (and are Region B) - this is as close to a must buy as possible.

Lazertron

#16 Post by Lazertron » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:33 am

Watched this great milieu study on Blu-ray lately and was very impressed with picture, sound quality and film grain intact. The cast plays very believably and everyday life of these people are pictured very conceivable.

I always shudder when I see workers' living quarters built so close to their factories with not much space to regenerate. This also was shortly thematised in the Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.

Overall a stranger to British film and social circumstances of the working class, I find these BFI releases totally interesting and thought-provoking and look forward to view more as time permits.

John Hodson

#17 Post by John Hodson » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:26 pm

Lazertron wrote:I always shudder when I see workers' living quarters built so close to their factories with not much space to regenerate.
Some of us called it 'home'...

max_cherry

#18 Post by max_cherry » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:54 am

Can somebody confirm, if PQ-difference between DVD and Blu-ray versions as drastic as DVDBeaver wrote about it?

Bürgermeister

#19 Post by Bürgermeister » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:55 am

Dual format coming next week(October 17th)