GAZWRX: The Films of Jeff Keen

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

bunuelian

Re: GAZWRX: The Films of Jeff Keen

#26 Post by bunuelian » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:19 am

I've seen some reports that the Blu disc in this set is region coded. Did BFI change its practices after the initial release?

I've recently discovered Keen and am flabbergasted by my need for this set.

MichaelB

#27 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:29 am

I'll check, but I'm not aware of any contractual requirement for this to be region-coded - and I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if this release has gone to a second printing!

Could it be that there's confusion between region-coding and PAL video? The Blu-ray disc is 1080p throughout and should be universally compatible, but although the DVDs containing Keen's video work are region-free, they're also encoded to the PAL video standard. Obviously, they shouldn't be anything else since Keen worked in PAL video to begin with, but these discs might have problems playing on standard US DVD players.

bunuelian

#28 Post by bunuelian » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Thanks. That's certainly possible. I wasn't aware that the DVDs also weren't region coded.

I'd be surprised if this has gone to a second printing, since it's pretty hard to find. There's also a wild range of prices out there - Amazon has a few sellers offering it for $75 or $35 (ballpark). Were there two versions of this set (one with the Blu disc, one without) or is this just a fleecing?
Last edited by bunuelian on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minkin

#29 Post by Minkin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:07 pm

bunuelian wrote:I'd be surprised if this has gone to a second printing, since it's pretty hard to find. There's also a wild range of prices out there - Amazon has a few sellers offering it for $75 or $35 (ballpark). Were there two versions of this set (one with the Blu disc, one without) or is this just a fleecing?
Try the Amazon UK page. At about $20 shipped, the set is tremendous value- and certainly a must buy. The discs in my set aren't region encoded.

MichaelB

#30 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:09 pm

There are two editions, though the only practical difference is that one of them contains hi-def transfers.

The Blu-ray package contains a Blu-ray disc (region-free, 1080p throughout) and two DVDs for Keen's video work (region-free PAL) plus a 96-page booklet.

The DVD package contains the same two DVDs and booklet, but the content of the Blu-ray disc is split across two more DVDs (again, region-free PAL.

For more details, see page one of this thread.

Minkin

#31 Post by Minkin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:21 pm

MichaelB wrote:The Blu-ray package contains a Blu-ray disc (region-free, 1080p throughout) and two DVDs for Keen's video work (region-free PAL) plus a 96-page booklet.
Plus a paper faux-disc informing about the soundtrack :P

Finding that and a 6th, empty disc spot in my Melies set (which was all in French, so I had to have a friend translate it a few days later) within a few days of each other left me wondering about conspiracy.

Laughs aside, the BFI has done an outstanding job with experimental films on Bluray and I suggest you, bunuelian, to also spring for the Kenneth Anger set.

Might I suggest the BFI produce a Zwartjes Bluray set next? :wink:

bunuelian

#32 Post by bunuelian » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks for the info, folks.

The Anger set will be on my radar for my next R2 spending spree. Between Second Run and BFI there are so many wonderful titles!

knives

#33 Post by knives » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:14 am

I've only finished the 16mm films and The Cartoon Theater and this has given me more than I paid for. I'll admit right off the bat I don't get anything these films are selling, but the humour and playfulness they were made with is so obvious I can't help but laugh and cheer as these bizarre creations go across my eyes. I think my favorite so far is 24 Films which had me bursting a number of times, great show. White Lite was also very memorable if just for how much more somber it is from the rest of the films so far. I just want to thank BFI for releasing this marvelous set.

kubelkind

#34 Post by kubelkind » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:03 pm

Agreed - a stunning set. Thanks BFI.
Having had my mind blown by his 3 1/2 hour epic "Mare's Tail" at Cherry Kino here in Leeds UK last year, I'm gonna have to ask if the BFI would ever consider putting any of David Larcher's work on DVD. Do they even own the rights?

MichaelB

#36 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Regardless of what film you end up with, why on earth would anyone pay $74.49 (i.e. £47.45) when you can get it for £10.61 at Amazon.co.uk?

Granted, you'll have to factor in postage too, but I reckon you'll still be quids in.

htshell

#37 Post by htshell » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:02 pm

This is one of the coolest box sets I own. The films are pretty amazing (and dense) and I love the layout/design. Not to mention it's very affordable!

MichaelB

#38 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Jeff Keen RIP.

htshell

#39 Post by htshell » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:15 pm

Very sad. Saw a show of Keen's paintings earlier this year in NYC.

MichaelB

#40 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:29 am

Guardian obituary (whose author, William Fowler, produced the BFI box set).

fatboyslim142

#41 Post by fatboyslim142 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:10 am

Doe anyone know if the soundtrack has been produced yet? As i'm missing this from my set.

MichaelB

#42 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:08 am

Very thorough obituary in today's Independent.

MichaelB

#43 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:37 am

Jeff Keen's cardboard coffin and sidecar hearse.

It's safe to say it's what he would have wanted.

RossyG

#44 Post by RossyG » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:59 am

He would indeed. I hope they drove him past Brighton dump one last time.

So long, Dr Gaz, and thanks for all the blatz.

htshell

#45 Post by htshell » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:03 pm

DR. GAZ FOREVER!

MichaelB

#46 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:10 am

DVD set to be reissued in August:
GAZWRX: The films of Jeff Keen

Dedicated to the memory of Jeff Keen, the BFI re-issues GAZWRX on DVD on 20 August 2012.

"It went right over my head and seemed a little bit threatening, but I'm all for it" Ken Russell on the trilogy Cineblatz, Marvo Movie and White Lite.

In February 2009, the BFI released GAZWRX: The Films of Jeff Keen, an audacious 9-hour collection of restored and remastered film and video works from one of Britain's most bold and distinctive artistic voices. The collection offered the long-overdue opportunity to explore Jeff Keen's explosive cinematic world, and was released to coincide with screening events at BFI Southbank and a nationwide cinema touring programme.

Sadly, Jeff Keen died in June 2012 aged 88. This re-issue of GAZWRX on DVD is a tribute to a truly visionary filmmaker. Containing over 40 films across four discs, this extensive career retrospective is packaged with a richly illustrated 44-page booklet.

Born in 1923 and a soldier in the Second World War, artist Jeff Keen began making films at the age of 37 when his local art school film society needed things to show. And so began over forty years of unique, imaginative, irrepressible filmmaking that has outlived the various scenes in which it has thrived: the sixties counter-culture, punk and beyond.

Films such as Marvo Movie and Mad Love look like post-apocalyptic home movies and point to the sublime subversion of Jack Smith and Kenneth Anger, as well as to Keen's wartime experiences and to the trashy pop culture of 'B' movies and comics.

Unafraid to grapple with challenging subjects such as sex and war, or to experiment with multiple screens, visceral noise soundtracks and brutal animation techniques, Jeff Keen is revealed in GAZWRX to have been a unique artist and a pioneer of independent film who impressed his very personal and highly individual stamp upon all his work.

Special Features
• Jeff Keen interview (2008, 25 mins): Keen on his life and work;
Art Flies Free (2000, 3 mins): short experimental documentary by Ian Helliwell;
Jeff Keen Films (1983, 36 mins): documentary with interview and performance footage;
• 44-page booklet featuring artworks and writings by Jeff Keen, film notes and articles by Tony Rayns, Jack Sargeant, Raymond Durgnat and William Fowler.

Product Details
RRP: £34.99 / cat. no. BFIVD966 / 15
UK / 1960-2002 / colour and black and white / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / 585 mins / 4 PAL DVD-9s / Original aspect ratio 1.33:1 (+ some bespoke widescreen presentations, 16x9 anamorphic)

Wu.Qinghua

#47 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:28 am

DVD only? Not that I'd really care about BD, but has the set sold that bad? That would be a pity, of course. Or might there be other reasons for not re-relasing this one as dual format?

MichaelB

#48 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:34 am

Amazon (or at least Amazon Marketplace sellers) still have copies of the Blu-ray version. I imagine sales figures did indeed play a fairly significant role in the decision to reissue it on DVD only.

antnield

#49 Post by antnield » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:35 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#50 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:58 am

For all you Keenies out there
http://boomkat.com/search?q=jeff%20keen&fields" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[]=&utm_source=Boomkat+Production&utm_campaign=515a8b5565-Jeff_Keen_Noise_Art_&utm_medium=email