The Innocents

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

reaky

Re: The Innocents

#76 Post by reaky » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:48 am

Interestingly, the following is now appearing on Amazon UK's listing for THE INNOCENTS blu-ray:

Item Under Review
This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page.

I wonder if this is a response to the Oppo/LG/Philips non-compatibility issue? And if there will be a reissue, a la LEOPARD?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#77 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Thus sticks on my Sherwood too -- had to jump to the next chapter and then go in reverse to right after the point is stopped. Seems like a major screw-up -- too bad since it is such a gorgeous disc of such an incredible film.

purplex

#78 Post by purplex » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:56 am

Just dropping in to say that I watched this today on my OPPO BDP-83 and was relieved to get through the entire film without a hitch. So I don't think there isn't anything systematically wrong with the disc, maybe just a bad batch?

Great film too.

ievenlostmycat

#79 Post by ievenlostmycat » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:23 pm

purplex wrote:Just dropping in to say that I watched this today on my OPPO BDP-83 and was relieved to get through the entire film without a hitch. So I don't think there isn't anything systematically wrong with the disc, maybe just a bad batch?
I too have the Oppo BDP-83 but do have pixelization problems. Amazon sent a second disc which plays a little better, but certainly not without flaw. The first disc, along with pixelization, had flashes of pink about every 20 or 30 seconds. Unfortunately I already got rid of my dvd copy. Very disappointing because this was a highly anticipated release for me.

Matt

#80 Post by Matt » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:28 pm

I've got a bad disc, too, so what are my options for getting a replacement disc? It's long past the point when I could have gotten a replacement from Amazon.

tojoed

#81 Post by tojoed » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Matt wrote:I've got a bad disc, too, so what are my options for getting a replacement disc? It's long past the point when I could have gotten a replacement from Amazon.
I had a faulty disc in the Noir box, which I'd bought a long time before.
I e-mailed the BFI and they replaced it within 2 days, no questions asked. I'm sure they will do the same for you.

Matt

#82 Post by Matt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:38 pm

tojoed wrote:I e-mailed the BFI and they replaced it within 2 days, no questions asked. I'm sure they will do the same for you.
Sadly, no. Here's the response I got:
BFI Filmstore wrote:There is a known problem with playback of this disc on a small number of BD players. Here is the list of players:

LG BD360
Oppo BD80
Sony 370
Sony 470
Sony 373
Philips BD3000
Philips BDP7500

We're in the process of updating our website with this information. Sorry that you weren't aware of this at time of purchase. Please explain the fault to Amazon who should give you a full refund.
Which I guess means that they've not re-pressed the discs, so even a replacement would be faulty.

Amazon ended up giving me a refund after all, but what I really want is a working disc.

Matt

#83 Post by Matt » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:20 am

I have also received an email from a BFI DVD producer:
Some Blu-ray players have had problems playing our edition of 'The Innocents'. Since the disc works on most players we believe the problem is player-specific rather than a fault on the Blu-ray itself.

Some recent firmware updates have corrected the problem so, if you haven't done so already, I suggest you try this first.
The producer did kindly offer to replace the BD with a DVD of the film or a BD of any other title in the BFI catalog, but since I've already gotten a refund from Amazon, it would be a little greedy of me to take advantage.

John Hodson

#84 Post by John Hodson » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:20 pm

Interesting that they list the Oppo BD80 but not the 83; presumably the latter's latest firmware update sorted the problem?

perkizitore

#85 Post by perkizitore » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Indeed it has, i don't have problems with BFI titles on my Oppo BDP-83 anymore.

John Hodson

#86 Post by John Hodson » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:08 am

Well, that's great news - bring on the BDP-80 update...

John Hodson

#87 Post by John Hodson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:20 pm

...and they released new beta firmware today which has sorted my problem with The Innocents. Excellent.

Le Samouraï

#88 Post by Le Samouraï » Mon May 09, 2011 4:36 am

Is this one of the discs that will be re-released in dual format? If so, is there any reason to pick up the original release (large booklet etc.)?

MichaelB

#89 Post by MichaelB » Mon May 09, 2011 4:44 am

Le Samouraï wrote:Is this one of the discs that will be re-released in dual format? If so, is there any reason to pick up the original release (large booklet etc.)?
My understanding is that this will not be reissued in Dual Format - the other exceptions being its companion releases for August 2010: The Edge of the World and A Zed and Two Noughts.

But I think every other formerly separate BD release is getting repackaged.

Le Samouraï

#90 Post by Le Samouraï » Mon May 09, 2011 9:56 am

Ok. Thanks for the info, Michael.

Wayne Klein

#91 Post by Wayne Klein » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:02 pm

I realize this thread been dead for while but I wanted to see if anyone here has the German Blu and if it is region free or region A.

MichaelB

#92 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:13 am

Why would a German disc be Region A?

But it will almost certainly be region-locked - it would be hard to believe that Fox insists on British sublicensors locking their discs while giving their German counterparts a free run.

manicsounds

#93 Post by manicsounds » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:07 am

Blu-ray.com member has posted that it is region A compatible

The German disc comes with lots of extras including the English commentary by Christopher Frayling.

Wayne Klein

#94 Post by Wayne Klein » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:07 am

manicsounds wrote:Blu-ray.com member has posted that it is region A compatible

The German disc comes with lots of extras including the English commentary by Christopher Frayling.
Thanks for the information. It's rather sad that Fox hasn't released this themselves three years after the BFI release.

It seems to me that, given the state of the declining home video market, that Fox would do well to reissue this on BD. some sales are better than no sales (there is the issue though of less retailers carrying catalog titles which I find rather sad).

Yorkshire

#95 Post by Yorkshire » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:36 pm

For fans of the film, on the 10th May the BBFC certified a trailer for The Innocents, and on the 11th of June the whole film for both DVD and cinema.

I have no idea why they'd have to have it reclassified so soon.

Steve W

Telstar

#96 Post by Telstar » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:14 pm

I just received a copy of this BD from Amazon only to discover that when played on my Oppo BD80 it has what appears to be the pixellation problem others have reported experiencing. I'm hesitant to contact Amazon about a replacement if all the discs are going to have the same problem on my player. Is contacting BFI about replacing The Innocents with one of their other titles an option?

EddieLarkin

#97 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:52 pm

Telstar wrote:I just received a copy of this BD from Amazon only to discover that when played on my Oppo BD80 it has what appears to be the pixellation problem others have reported experiencing. I'm hesitant to contact Amazon about a replacement if all the discs are going to have the same problem on my player. Is contacting BFI about replacing The Innocents with one of their other titles an option?
Update your firmware?
John Hodson wrote:...and they released new beta firmware today which has sorted my problem with The Innocents. Excellent.

Telstar

#98 Post by Telstar » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:05 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Telstar wrote:I just received a copy of this BD from Amazon only to discover that when played on my Oppo BD80 it has what appears to be the pixellation problem others have reported experiencing. I'm hesitant to contact Amazon about a replacement if all the discs are going to have the same problem on my player. Is contacting BFI about replacing The Innocents with one of their other titles an option?
Update your firmware?
John Hodson wrote:...and they released new beta firmware today which has sorted my problem with The Innocents. Excellent.
I think I'm up to date with firmware...