Land of Promise

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Re: Land of Promise

#26 Post by MichaelB » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:15 am

antnield wrote:...or simply a way of tying in with the Shadows of Progress set and possibly gaining a few extra sales. Shadows is, effectively, a sequel to Land of Promise so it makes sense.
That's absolutely spot on - it is indeed a tie-in reprint/reissue given that it's hard to imagine reviews of Shadows of Progress not mentioning Land of Promise.

A full list of titles is imminent - I'll try to get something up within the next 24 hours.

ellipsis7

#27 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:02 am

I love the LAND OF PROMISE set and eagerly await SHADOWS OF PROGRESS...

Bleddyn Williams

#28 Post by Bleddyn Williams » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:17 pm

I'm getting this for Xmas - the 2010 cheaper release. Unfortunately my mate in the UK who sent it to me didn't do giftwrap, so when I opened it, I had to put it aside for the wife to wrap. Oh sweet torture!

Its a digipak in a slipcover with the book - I'm a bit surprised, because I thought the initial package was like this, and that the new re-release might have gone for a cheaper plastic case or something.

What's the difference between the two versions? I read some comments that the original release came in a sturdy package. This version's slipcover looks pretty thin - did the original have a better box? Any other differences? Just curious.

MichaelB

#29 Post by MichaelB » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:23 pm

I don't have a copy of the reissued version, but my understanding is that it's now a perfect physical match for Shadows of Progress - on my shelves, the old Land of Promise is clearly physically bigger, despite containing more or less exactly the same amount of material (in fact, Shadows of Progress has a longer cumulative running time).

Bleddyn Williams

#30 Post by Bleddyn Williams » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Thanks, Michael. I did a bit of reading since my post, and it sounds like the original external box is heftier and hence as you say, bigger. Probably very nice, but I'll be more than happy with the new version. And if I get Shadows of Progress next, they'll match! :)

antnield

#31 Post by antnield » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:35 pm

Next week on BBC4 (and BBC iPlayer) they're showing Britain Through A Lens: The Documentary Film Mob. 60 minutes dedicated to Grierson et al from 1929 to 1945, ie. the period covered in Land of Promise and no doubt with plenty of reference to some of the titles on the set (and the BFI GPO collections too).

perkizitore

#32 Post by perkizitore » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:40 am

Is this OOP?

MichaelB

#33 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:21 pm

It certainly shouldn't be, though I daresay they had stock issues as a by-product of the Sony DADC fire. But it's one of the BFI's flagship releases, and there's no copyright reason I can think of for it to go OOP after less than four years.

perkizitore

#34 Post by perkizitore » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:27 pm

It also had a reprinting at late 2010, if I am not mistaken?

MichaelB

#35 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm

Indeed - it's one of the BFI's bestselling titles. So I'd be astounded if it was OOP.

whaleallright

#36 Post by whaleallright » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:12 am

I hope they are reprinting it; I placed an order in September with Amazon.co.uk and apparently there are still no copies available to send me.