Les Demoiselles de Rochefort

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

tojoed

#1 Post by tojoed » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:49 am

Following the huge success of Les Parapulies de Cherbourg (1964), Jacques Demy went on to make Les Demoiselles de Rochefort, a large scale tribute to the Hollywood musical featuring screen legend Gene Kelly. Released in the UK on DVD for the first time by the BFI, the 1996 restoration is presented in a 2-disc set that also features an hour long documentary by Agns Varda and other special extras.

Jacques Demy was one of the most distinctive directors to emerge from the French New Wave in the late '50s and early '60s. The films he made up until his untimely death in 1990 constitute one of the most extraordinary bodies of work of that era, much of which was screened in a career retrospective at BFI Southbank last November.

Les Demoiselles de Rochefort centres on twin sisters Delphine and Solange (played by real life sisters Catherine Deneuve and Franoise Dorlac). Tired of their humdrum existence in the picturesque seaside town of Rochefort, they dream of leaving to find success and romance in Paris, just as a carnival and an American composer (Gene Kelly) hit town.

The superb ensemble cast also features Danielle Darrieux, Michel Piccoli, Jacques Perrin, George Chakiris and Grover Dale.

With a plot of pure Shakespearean farce, witty dialogue and lyrics by Demy and a magnificent jazz score by three-times Academy Award winner Michel Legrand, this has to be one of the most joyously ebullient movies ever.

Extras:

- Les Demoiselles ont eu 25 ans ( Agns Varda, 1993, 64 mins) - documentary mixing on-set footage, home movies and footage from the 25th Anniversary celebrations in Rochefort
- Extracts from the Guardian Interview in which Catherine Deneuve talks about working with Jacques Demy and his influence on her career
- Audio extracts from Gene Kelly's Guardian Lecture on the Hollywood Musical
- Illustrated booklet containing original publicity photos and production stills
* Fully uncompressed PCM stereo audio

What A Disgrace

#2 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:22 am

tojoed wrote:Extras for Jacques Demy's Demoiselles de Rochefort: 2 disc set.

Extras
* Les Demoiselles ont eu 25 ans ( Agns Varda, 1993, 64 mins) - documentary mixing on-set footage, home movies and footage from the 25th Anniversary celebrations in Rochefort
* Extracts from the Guardian Interview in which Catherine Deneuve talks about working with Jacques Demy and his influence on her career
* Audio extracts from Gene Kelly's Guardian Lecture on the Hollywood Musical
* Illustrated booklet containing original publicity photos and production stills
* Fully uncompressed PCM stereo audio
I'm surprised there hasn't been much chatter over BFI's Les Demoiselles de Rochefort.

I just received the DVD in the mail, and though I'm going to be too busy to watch it for a week or so...would anybody appreciate screen caps?

Hopscotch

#3 Post by Hopscotch » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:51 am

What A Disgrace wrote:I'm surprised there hasn't been much chatter over BFI's Les Demoiselles de Rochefort.

I just received the DVD in the mail, and though I'm going to be too busy to watch it for a week or so...would anybody appreciate screen caps?
I would.

Peacock

Re: Les Demoiselles de Rochefort

#4 Post by Peacock » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:06 pm

Sorry to bump this thread, but Michael, this is one of my absolute favorite films, any idea if this is being planned for a Blu release (so visually deserving!). Now that i've decided to go Blu I don't want to buy something which could be upgraded soon?

Finch

#5 Post by Finch » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:53 am

I've been thinking about buying the DVD as well but if a Blu was imminent in the next 6-12 months, I'd wait since I plan to upgrade next autumn.

antnield

#6 Post by antnield » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:36 pm

Blu-ray upgrade 4 November
- Les Demoiselles ont eu 25 ans (1993, 64 mins): documentary by the late great Agnès Varda
- Gene Kelly Guardian Lecture (1980, audio only): the legendary Hollywood star discusses his long and much celebrated career
- Catherine Deneuve Guardian Interview (2005)
- **FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Fully illustrated booklet with writing on the film and full film creduts
- Other extras TBC

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:39 pm

Full specs announced:
A film by Jacques Demy

Catherine Deneuve, Françoise Dorléac, Gene Kelly

Blu-ray release on 4 November 2019

The delightfully light-hearted Les Demoiselles de Rochefort is Jacques Demy’s large-scale tribute to the Hollywood musical. With a plot of pure Shakespearean farce, witty dialogue and lyrics by Demy and a magnificent jazz score by three-time Oscar winner Michel Legrand, it’s an effervescent celebration of life that is sure to captivate and uplift.

On 4 November 2019 it comes to Blu-ray for the first time in the UK, released by the BFI as part of the major season, BFI Musicals! The Greatest Show on Screen. Numerous extras include a new commentary by David Jenkins, an audiovisual essay by Geoff Andrew and Agnès Varda’s documentary celebration of Demy and his film.

The story of Les Demoiselles de Rochefort unfolds over the course of a weekend and centres on twin sisters Delphine and Solange (played by real life sisters Catherine Deneuve and Françoise Dorléac) who, tired of their humdrum existence, dream of finding success and romance in Paris. Little do they know that their ideal partner may be just around the corner. The superb ensemble – featuring such screen legends as Gene Kelly, Danielle Darrieux, Michel Piccoli, Jacques Perrin, George Chakiris and Grover Dale – weave and wander around the town, looking for and just missing the love of their lives. Will the happy pairs of lovers be united or will cruel fate keep them apart?

BFI Musicals! The Greatest Show on Screen celebrates the joyful, emotional, shared experience of watching film musicals; with the biggest stars, the most iconic scenes and the best-loved song and dance numbers back on the big screen. Running 14 Oct 2019 – Jan 2020, it incorporates a season at BFI Southbank, BFI UK-wide re-releases of classic musicals, hundreds of screenings and events at venues across the UK, DVD/Blu-ray releases and films to watch on BFI Player and at the Mediatheque at BFI Southbank.

Special features
• Newly commissioned feature commentary by David Jenkins
• A Melody Composed by Chance… (2019, 19 mins): audiovisual essay by Geoff Andrew
• Les Demoiselles ont eu 25 ans (1993, 67 mins): Agnès Varda’s documentary celebration of Demy and his film
• The Guardian Interview: Catherine Deneuve (2005, 7 mins): excerpts of the actress in conversation at the NFT
• The Guardian Interview: Jacques Demy (1982, audio, 76 mins): the director interviewed on stage following a screening of Une Chambre en ville
• The Guardian Interview: Michel Legrand (1991, audio, 71 mins): the great composer discusses his career, recorded at the NFT
• The Guardian Lecture: Gene Kelly (1980, audio, 76 mins): the song-and-dance legend recorded on stage at the NFT discussing his career
• Illustrated booklet (***first pressing only***) containing essays by Jonathan Rosenbaum, Selina Robertson and Dr Nicolas Pillai, a biography of Jacques Demy by Jason Wood, film credits and notes on the extras.

Product details
RRP: £19.99 / Cat. no. BFIB1361 / Cert PG
France / 1967 / colour / 126 mins / French language, with English subtitles / original aspect ratio 2:35:1 // BD50: 1080p, 24fps, 2.0 and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (48kHz/24-bit)