It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:32 am 

mistakaninja wrote:
The BFI online shop lists it as a two disc dual edition.
http://shop.bfi.org.uk/dvd-blu-ray/pre- ... 2qDV1-3PFo

What is a "dual edition"? The case is clearly for a DVD, so either it's a typo or they're undecided whether this will include a Blu-ray disc or not!

I'll ask them on Twitter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:37 am 

The "additional info" tab indicates a blu ray and dvd are included.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:34 pm 

Drucker wrote:
The "additional info" tab indicates a blu ray and dvd are included.

Strange, they never mentioned it in the official announcement, nor on the Amazon listing.

This is all it says:

Quote:
We mark the ‘rural’ phase of the BFI’s Britain on Film series with the DVD release of On the Black Hill. Based on Bruce Chatwin’s award-winning novel and starring Bob Peck (Jurassic Park) and Gemma Jones (Bridget Jones’s Diary), On the Black Hill offers a redolent depiction of farming life set in the beautiful Welsh border country.

And the Amazon listing:

Quote:
On the Black Hill (DVD)
Number of discs: 1

They've replied to me on Twitter and are saying it's now Dual Format, so it's odd that they haven't made that clear to everyone potentially pre-ordering this!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:44 am 

Some good and bad news from BFI concerning several upcoming releases. Good of them to clarify a few of them though, so at least we have final word on some of them (or near enough):

- The Wages of Fear looks likely to be delayed again, and will probably be pushed into 2017. Apparently not long after they confirmed the year-long delay this time last year (it was originally due for October 2015 release), they caught wind of a new scan and restoration of the film, so now they're now waiting on that. I can certainly wait for that!
- El Sur is indeed set for a Dual Format release as suspected (though may be split between separate Blu-ray and DVD releases...they haven't decided yet). Won't be ready for a while now, but my guess would be early 2017 (if not, then later on in the year)!
- Exact specs for The Quay Collection and Pioneers of African-American Cinema will be confirmed soon (keep an eye on Amazon listings).
- Privilege will be reissued soon with new artwork, and other Flipside titles will get the same treatment as and when they go OOP. They will still be Dual Format and include the booklet as well, so no need to rush out and pay extortionate prices from third party sellers (Privilege in particular is going for stupid money in some places). Only titles with separate Blu-ray and DVD reissues will omit the booklet (as they did with The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and Saturday Night & Sunday Morning).
- The Glass Shield is not coming out on Blu-ray, and never was. According to my contact, it was some kind of miscommunication that resulted in a third party submitting listings for the film on Blu-ray on various sites, but they only ever had materials appropriate for DVD. No word on any other Burnett on Blu-ray though, but I expect if they did it would presumably have to be restored in the States first.
- The Klushantzev Collection is almost definitely cancelled outright. I say almost because they seemed to imply "never say never". Presumably there would have to be some sort of relevant theatrical season for it to happen, or a restoration elsewhere that they could license or collaborate on. Either way, there are no plans to start that project up again right now.
- No current plans for upgrades to Japanese DVD titles (though they didn't elaborate - I was mostly asking about Kurosawa). In particular, no more Ozu upgrades as people have been consistently requesting, due to the materials not being suitable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:15 am 

I am wondering what is happening with their Naruse set, I stupidly sold it after MichaelB said it wasn't OOP ](*,)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:45 am 

perkizitore wrote:
I am wondering what is happening with their Naruse set, I stupidly sold it after MichaelB said it wasn't OOP ](*,)

I just asked about that, and all I can say is that they might be considering it (in some form or another).

Last edited by rapta on Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:55 am 

It's a shame they didn't wait to release the newest restoration of Seven Samurai.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:23 am 

rapta wrote:
- No current plans for upgrades to Japanese DVD titles (though they didn't elaborate - I was mostly asking about Kurosawa). In particular, no more Ozu upgrades as people have been consistently requesting, due to the materials not being suitable.

Any idea what that means for their plan to release all 32 Ozu films they had access to? They'd been releasing the last few in DVD sets but they don't seem to have any plans to finish the run. Or did you only ask about bluray upgrades?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:41 am 

rapta wrote:
Perhaps Criterion has secured UK rights to many of the Kurosawa and Ozu films.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:01 pm 

rapta wrote:
- The Klushantzev Collection is almost definitely cancelled outright. I say almost because they seemed to imply "never say never". Presumably there would have to be some sort of relevant theatrical season for it to happen, or a restoration elsewhere that they could license or collaborate on. Either way, there are no plans to start that project up again right now.

Not fair. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:06 pm 

kindaikun wrote:
rapta wrote:

Any idea what that means for their plan to release all 32 Ozu films they had access to? They'd been releasing the last few in DVD sets but they don't seem to have any plans to finish the run. Or did you only ask about bluray upgrades?

Perhaps the sales of the DVD sets weren't good enough to justify licensing the others? I dunno, somewhat foolishly I didn't ask about that.

FrauBlucher wrote:
rapta wrote:
Perhaps Criterion has secured UK rights to many of the Kurosawa and Ozu films.

True. I remember Kevin (ex-Eureka) feeling frustrated when they bought up titles they were planning for Blu-ray (which included Grey Gardens). Maybe they did the same with some BFI titles. That said, you would think they would've started releasing them already if that was the case? Ikaru at least, or some of their older Kurosawa releases.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:11 pm 

Gotta wonder how many of these BFI cancellations are situations where it turns out the available materials are not up to snuff. Why risk putting out a title that's going to be slammed on PQ review sites?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:23 pm 

Drucker wrote:
Why risk putting out a title that's going to be slammed on PQ review sites?

I'm quite certain that in some cases, it's sadly too late and too costy for some labels to cancel the release without losing a shit-load of money (along with a small bit of reputation).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:19 pm 

Oh I'm aware, but maybe these are circumstances where they did get access to the elements in time to cancel the release.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:24 am 

Perhaps you could ask your source about Terence Davies upgrades. His "Trilogy" and "Distant Voices, Still Lives" should make it to Blu-ray. (I would like to see "Neon Bible" and "House of Mirth" as well but I don't think BFI has them).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:51 pm 

BFI has announced a September 16 cinema release of Victor Erice's El sur.

There was talk of more Erice from Criterion at a 2015 Wexner talk, so hopefully this means a Criterion blu-ray is coming soon too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:56 pm 

Love that film so much, just came to the forums to see whether there might be any new info on when BFI are releasing it. Since I don't live in the UK I'm out of luck with the theatrical run, but I suppose they'll have it out on Blu-ray reasonably soon? (At least judging from how they've handled Napoléon)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:54 am 

I expect we'll see the Dual Format edition announced for early 2017 then! From the trailer the BFI posted it looks wonderful. Hopefully means we'll see more restored Erice (and Spanish cinema in general).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:59 am 

Any chance of the Quince Tree Sun being released with English subs?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:46 pm 

Drucker wrote:
It's a shame they didn't wait to release the newest restoration of Seven Samurai.

Really? Is that the one the Criterion uses?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:42 pm 

vincanss wrote:
Drucker wrote:

Really? Is that the one the Criterion uses?
The Criterion one is newer, but the 4K Toho one is newest.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:32 am 

thirtyframesasecond wrote:

While I'd also love to see BFI bring it out, it is already available in a great DVD with English subs – it's a bit pricey, but there are still a handful of copies floating around on Spanish Amazon, Ebay and elsewhere under El Sol del Membrillo.

https://www.amazon.fr/Songe-lumiere-Dre ... +membrillo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:01 pm 

furbicide wrote:

While I'd also love to see BFI bring it out, it is already available in a great DVD with English subs – it's a bit pricey, but there are still a handful of copies floating around on Spanish Amazon, Ebay and elsewhere under El Sol del Membrillo.

https://www.amazon.fr/Songe-lumiere-Dre ... +membrillo

Does it definitely have English subs? That Amazon listing doesn't suggest so. The Amazon Spanish DVD only has French subs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:19 am 

Does it definitely have English subs? That Amazon listing doesn't suggest so. The Amazon Spanish DVD only has French subs.
It's this 2-disc edition:
https://www.amazon.es/sol-del-membrillo ... +membrillo
I've got it and it does have English subs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:53 am 

Yep. If you're buying and looking for English subs, the ones you want to avoid are the French 'Le Songe de la Lumiere' DVD and the two-film set with El Sur. The Spanish 2-disc 'El Sol del Membrillo' does have English subs (I also have a copy; it's fantastic and comes with quite a few special features). This earlier release seems to have had a different cover (the one you want has the close-up of the quince bounded by black bars), but all the specs are the same I think:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview ... flight.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next