The Klushantzev Collection

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

EddieLarkin

Re: The Klushantzev Collection

#2 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:01 am

This sounds exciting, despite the fact we seemingly only have the title to go by (no announcements, press details?). I've wanted to see Planeta Bur for ages. Is anyone familiar with the rest of his filmography?

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:01 am

It must be a very safe bet that that will be included, as this will be part of the BFI's Science Fiction project and that's by far his best known sci-fi title.

EddieLarkin

#4 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:06 am

That's what I figured. His filmography appears to be rather small, made up of shorts and films with generally short running times. You could easily fit everything on 2 Blu-rays, which is what Amazon lists, so I'm crossing my fingers we'll get something close to complete.

What A Disgrace

#5 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:22 pm

And its been deleted from Amazon.

Fitzcarraldo555

#6 Post by Fitzcarraldo555 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:27 am

EddieLarkin wrote:You could easily fit everything on 2 Blu-rays, which is what Amazon lists, so I'm crossing my fingers we'll get something close to complete.
It's Dual Format: one blu ray and one DVD. You can pre-order it from Zavvi.
http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-klusha ... 85084.html

It's seems unlikely that they'll be able to fit his entire filmography on one DVD, unless the blu-ray will have more material, yet as it's dual format they'll most likely be keeping both discs identical in material.

Sounds like a very interesting director, can't wait :)

neilist

#7 Post by neilist » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:25 pm

While we're waiting for this release to reappear on the schedule, there's an exhibition running through October and November at London's Calvert 22 gallery featuring Klushantsev's work and screening two of his documentaries, 'Road to the Stars' (1957) and 'Moon' (1965).

Orlac

#8 Post by Orlac » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:41 pm

what happened to this release? I hope it hasn't gone the way of BFI's Rosselini releases - ie. nowhere slowly.

htdm

#9 Post by htdm » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:39 pm

Bumping this thread in hopes that someone may have more info.

L.A.

#10 Post by L.A. » Tue May 10, 2016 12:54 pm

I can't help but wonder that first the collection was announced and then no updates. Please BFI, just let us know is it still coming. If not, then at least I would have some piece of mind.

stepps

#11 Post by stepps » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:39 am

It would be unbelievably amazing if somehow this got back on track and there were non-Cormanised versions of some of the films. Just tell me who I have to kill.

MichaelB

#12 Post by MichaelB » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:00 pm

By this stage, I'm assuming it's not happening. The rationale for the release passed literally years ago.

These things happen: that fascinating look at early BBFC problem pictures bit the dust as well.

stepps

#13 Post by stepps » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:22 pm

I'm still holding a candle. I'm a bitter man, and will stand holding this candle for years. Back at the time of this announcement I had just seen these films in London, and they are just so much better than what Corman did with them, much as I admire many of Corman's other pictures.

MichaelB

The Klushantzev Collection

#14 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:46 am

Honestly, I’d give it up. It’s wildly unlikely that they still have the rights: even if licensing had been trouble-free (bearing in mind that we don’t know why the release didn’t ultimately go ahead), they’ll have expired years ago.