Supernatural (BBC, 1977)

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

antnield

Supernatural (BBC, 1977)

#1 Post by antnield » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:53 am

SUPERNATURAL (2-DISC DVD)

Werewolves, vampires and ghosts haunt the living in this long-awaited double-disc presentation of the much sought-after BBC horror series Supernatural.

Originally broadcast on BBC1 in 1977 and rarely seen since, this classic series ran for eight terrifying episodes. In each, a different prospective member of the Club of the Damned is required to tell a story that will chill the blood of the club's members, and their application for membership would be judged on how frightening the story was. Failure to induce terror in all who attend would lead to the death of the storyteller...

A timeless example of British Gothic horror at its best, Supernatural boasts a superb cast of acting talent, including Billie Whitelaw, Jeremy Brent, Robert Hardy, Gordon Jackson, Sinead Cusack, Denholm Elliott and Ian Hendry.

First ever DVD release of this much sought-after and highly acclaimed BBC TV series.

Contents

Disc One

1. Ghosts of Venice with Robert Hardy and Sinead Cusack
2. Countess Ilona with Billie Whitelaw, Ian Hendry and Edward Hardwicke
3. The Werewolf Reunion with Billie Whitelaw, Ian Hendry and Edward Hardwicke
4. Mr Nightingale with Jeremy Brett and Lesley-Anne Down

Disc Two

5. Lady Sybil with Denholm Elliott
6. Viktoria with Catherine Schell and Judy Cornwell
7. Night of the Marionettes with Gordon Jackson, Kathleen Byron and Vladek Sheybal
8. Dorabella with Jeremy Clyde
November 18th

CSM126

Re: Supernatural (BBC, 1977)

#2 Post by CSM126 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:25 pm

The fact that that synopsis immediately made me think of Nickelodeon's Are You Afraid of the Dark? reveals how embarrissingly young I am, doesn't it?

Incidentally, I'm now really curious if this show actually influenced AYAOTD in any way.

Orlac

#3 Post by Orlac » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:36 pm

CSM126 wrote:The fact that that synopsis immediately made me think of Nickelodeon's Are You Afraid of the Dark? reveals how embarrissingly young I am, doesn't it?

Incidentally, I'm now really curious if this show actually influenced AYAOTD in any way.
I remember seeing the Nosferatu episode as a child!

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:08 am

Full specs announced:
Supernatural
The classic BBC horror series devised by Robert Muller
2-disc set

Werewolves, vampires and ghosts haunt the living in this much sought-after 1977 BBC horror anthology series devised by talented TV dramatist Robert Muller. Previously unavailable and much requested, it finally comes to DVD, released in a double-disc set by the BFI on 18 November 2013 as part of GOTHIC: The Dark Heart of Film.

Referencing a rich vein of literary gothic stories, from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein to Sheridan Le Fanu's Carmilla, Supernatural presents seven unique tales (including the admired two-parter Countess Ilona and The Werewolf Reunion) across eight unsettling instalments.

Each episode opens in the Club of the Damned, where prospective entrants are required to tell a story that will chill the blood of the assembled members. But much is at stake for the storyteller, as failure to induce terror in all who attend carries the price of certain death.

A timeless example of British Gothic horror at its best, Supernatural boasts a superb cast of acting talent, including Billie Whitelaw (Frenzy, The Omen), Jeremy Brett (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes), Robert Hardy (Psychomania, Middlemarch), Gordon Jackson (The Professionals), Denholm Elliott (The Signalman, Bad Timing), Sinead Cusack (V for Vendetta, Wrath of the Titans), Ian Hendry (Repulsion, Get Carter), Jeremy Clyde (Schalcken the Painter) and John Justin (Schalcken the Painter), and is directed by such legendary filmmakers as Peter Sasdy (Countess Dracula, The Stone Tape).

Disc One

Ghost of Venice with Robert Hardy and Sinead Cusack
Countess Ilona with Billie Whitelaw, Ian Hendry and Edward Hardwicke
The Werewolf Reunion with Billie Whitelaw, Ian Hendry and Edward Hardwicke
Mr Nightingale with Jeremy Brett and Lesley-Anne Down

Disc Two

Lady Sybil with Denholm Elliott
Viktoria with Catherine Schell and Judy Cornwell
Night of the Marionettes with Gordon Jackson and Kathleen Byron
Dorabella with Jeremy Clyde and John Justin

Special Features

Illustrated booklet featuring an introductory essay by Julian Upton, episode notes, biography of Robert Muller, cast and credits.

Product Details

RRP: £24.99 / cat. no. BFIVD994 / Cert 12
UK / 1977 / colour / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / 400 mins / DVD9 x 2 / Original aspect ratio 1.33:1 / Dolby Digital audio (320 kbps)

antnield

#5 Post by antnield » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:25 pm