Classic Ghost Stories

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

antnield

Classic Ghost Stories

#1 Post by antnield » Thu May 09, 2013 7:14 am

September 23rd
CLASSIC GHOST STORIES (DVD)

The BFI presents another volume of classic BBC ghost stories adapted from the pen of M.R. James. These partially-dramatized readings by actor Robert Powell (Jesus of Nazareth, Mahler, Tommy) were originally broadcast to terrified audiences over the Christmas of 1986. Made available here for the very first time since then, these blood-curdling tales include, The Mezzotint, The Ash Tree, Wailing Well, The Rose Garden and Oh, Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad.

Also included as an extensive bonus on this release are the three M.R. James episodes - The Mezzotint, A School Story and The Diary of Mr Poynter - from the 1980 BBC TV series Spine Chiller, read by celebrated actor Michael Bryant (star of the 1974 BBC Ghost Story for Christmas episode The Treasure of Abbot Thomas).

Special Features

- First time of DVD of these BBC TV adaptations of classic M.R.James stories
- All five episodes of the rare BBC TV series Classic Ghost Stories (1986)
- Three episodes of Spine Chiller (1980), produced by the BBC's Jackanory team
- Illustrated booklet with new writing and full credits

GaryC

Re: Classic Ghost Stories

#2 Post by GaryC » Sat May 11, 2013 4:55 am

Wasn't it Spine Chillers? (plural). I remember watching that at the time (I would have been 15 or 16) so I'm pretty sure I saw one or more of those at the time.

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:58 am

Full specs announced:
Robert Powell in
Classic Ghost Stories
By the Master of the Chilling Tale
M R James

From the cosy confines of his study, a learned professor (award-winning actor Robert Powell – Jesus of Nazareth, Mahler, The Detectives) tells five terrifying tales. Inspired by M R James’ legendary readings of his own words, these vintage ghost stories were originally broadcast by the BBC during Christmas 1986 and have been unavailable on DVD until now. Classic Ghost Stories by M R James is released by the BFI on 28 October 2013 as part of GOTHIC: The Dark Heart of Film.

In The Mezzotint a haunted picture slowly reveals the horrors of the past, whilst The Ash-Tree tells of the execution of a witch and the dreadful curse she places on the Fell family. Wailing Well involves a troop of scouts who find that curiosity can be fatal, and Oh, Whistle, and I’ll Come to You, My Lad concerns itself with an academic who gets more than he bargained for after he discovers an enchanted whistle. Finally, in The Rose Garden, disturbing visions upset Mrs Anstruther’s gardening plans.

Long unseen and much sought after, these celebrated readings are accompanied by an illustrated booklet and three episodes from the rare BBC series Spine Chillers, in which the acclaimed actor Michael Bryant (A Ghost Story for Christmas: The Treasure of Abbot Thomas) plays the M R James-like storyteller.

Special Features
Spine Chillers (1980, 3 x 11 mins): Michael Bryant reads M R James' 'The Mezzotint', 'A School Story' and 'The Diary of Mr Poynter' in episodes from the series produced by Classic Ghost Stories producer Angela Beeching and made by the team behind the BBC children's programme Jackanory;
• Illustrated booklet with a new essay by BFI TV curator Lisa Kerrigan, and credits.

Classic Ghost Stories is also being made available as part of the BFI’s expanded Ghost Stories for Christmas box set, also released on 28 October. This 6-DVD collection contains over 13 hours’ worth of chilling content, including all 12 episodes of the BBC’s celebrated A Ghost Story for Christmas series, three instalments of Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee from 2000, and a 48-page booklet with new essays and complete credits.

Product Details
RRP: £19.99 / cat. no. BFIVD993 / Cert PG
UK / 1986 / colour / English, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / 71 mins / Original aspect ratio 1.33:1 / DVD9 / PAL / Dolby Digital mono audio (320kbps).

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:58 am

DeepSouthDan

#5 Post by DeepSouthDan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:01 am

Amazon UK pre-order price has just gone down to £12.04.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C ... ROKL5A1OLE