Fairy Tales: Early Colour Stencil Films from Pathé

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

antnield

Fairy Tales: Early Colour Stencil Films from Pathé

#1 Post by antnield » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:23 pm

Confirmed on the BFI's website:
A collection of rare French fairytale and fantasy shorts from the birth of cinema, with newly-commissioned scores from composers including Chris Watson, Philip Jeck and Fennesz.

John Edmond

Re: Pathé Colour Stencil: The Fairy Films

#2 Post by John Edmond » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Jeck, Watson and Fennesz? That's an impressive list, I'm curious how much they'll tailor their work to the fairy.

antnield

#3 Post by antnield » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:37 pm

antnield

#4 Post by antnield » Sat May 05, 2012 8:26 am

Once upon a time, during the belle époque in turn-of-the-century Paris, a short-lived film form called scènes de feeries ('fairy films') were produced in great number by the Pathé Frères company. In jewel-like colours the films recreated the theatrical spectacles of the age with their fantastical settings, dancing girls, mythical beasts, supernatural brings and a plethora of stage illusion enhanced by the trickery of the new medium of film. Made to appeal to young and old spectators alike, these gorgeous films offer modern audiences a fascinating glimpse into the magical world of the nineteen-century theatre.

These breathtaking films are released here with newly-commissioned soundtracks composed by experimental artists from the leading British independent label Touch, including Chris Watson, Fennesz, Hildur Guðnadóttir, Ryoji Ikeda, Philip Jeck, and BJNilsen amongst others.

Special Features*

- Additional short films from the era
- All-new scores, featuring leading experimental composers such as Chris Watson, Philip Jeck and Fennesz
- Extensive illustrated booklet with contributions from silent cinema experts, including BFI curator Bryony Dixon
* Special features are subject to change

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:17 am

Full specs announced:
Fairy Tales
Early Colour Stencil films from Pathé

Once upon a time, during the belle époque in Paris, a short-lived film form called scènes de feeries, or fairy films, became popular thanks to the Pathé Frères company. Made to appeal to young and old alike, the films recreated the theatrical spectacles of the age in jewel-like colours. This collection, released on 3 December 2012, brings the films to DVD for the first time, each accompanied by a newly commissioned soundtrack by recording artists from the leading experimental music label Touch.

These gorgeous films feature fantastical settings, dancing girls, mythical beasts, supernatural beings and a plethora of stage tricks. Enhanced by the techniques of the then-new medium of film, they give modern audiences a fascinating glimpse into the magical world of the nineteenth-century theatre.

Presented here with original hand-colouring, the new soundtracks, all by recording artists from the Touch label, feature contributions from such acclaimed composers as Chris Watson, BJ Nilsen, Hildur Gudnadóttir, Philip Jeck and Fennesz. Their music, at times elegant and playful, at times intense and challenging, combines with these beautiful images, in often surprising ways, to create a unique and unforgettable experience.

Special features on the disc include films by Georges Méliès, Anson Dyer and more from the Pathé Frères company, along with nine alternative soundtracks to the film La Danse du diable.

This release should appeal to fans of Jan Švankmajer and Lotte Reiniger, or to anyone interested in early cinema or experimental film and music.

Film Titles and Soundtrack Composers
Un Drame au fond de la mer (Drama at the Bottom of the Sea) (1901) – Jana Winderen
Les Sept châteaux du diable (The Seven Castles of the Devil) (1901) – Joachim Nordwall and Henrik Rylander
Ballet des Sylphides (1902) – Marcus Davidson
Ali Baba et les quarante voleurs (Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves) (1902) – Leif Elggren
Valse excentrique (Eccentric Waltz) (1903) – Marcus Davidson
Japonaiseries (1904) – Pascal Wyse
La Danse du diable (Weird Fancies) (1904) – Leif Elggren
Métamorphose du papillon (Metamorphosis of a Butterfly) (1905) – Chris Watson
La Poule aux oeufs d'or (The Hen That Laid the Golden Eggs) (1905) – Achim Mohné
Martyrs chrétiens (Christian Martyrs) (1905) – Sarah Nicolls
Loïe Fuller (1905) – Philip Jeck
L'Album merveilleux (The Wonderful Album) (1905) – Oren Ambarchi
L’Antre de la sorcière (The Bewitched Shepherd) (1905) – Maia Urstad
La Peine du talion (Tit for Tat) (1906) – Christian Fennesz
La Fée printemps (The Fairy of Spring) (1906) – Hildur Guðnadóttir
Les Roses magiques (Magic Roses) (1906) – Sohrab
Le Scarabée d'or (The Golden Beetle) (1907) – Michael Esposito and Mike Harding
Cendrillon ou la pantoufle merveilleuse (Cinderella) (1907) – Philip Jeck
Le Spectre Rouge (The Red Spectre) (1907) – Michael Esposito and Mike Harding
Le Pied de mouton (The Talisman) (1907) – BJ Nilsen
La Sorcière noire (The Black Witch) (1907) – Michael Esposito and Mike Harding
La Belle au bois dormant (Sleeping Beauty) (1908) – Sarah Nicolls
L'Oiseau bleu (The Blue Bird) (1908) – BJ Nilsen
La Légende du fantôme (The Black Pearl) (1908) – The London Snorkelling Team
Le Faune (The Fairies and the Faun) (1908) – Hildur Guðnadóttir

Special features
Barbe-blue (1901): Georges Méliès’ telling of the Bluebeard tale with music by SAVX;
Au Pays de l’or (1908): a trip to the magical underground gold foundry of the dwarves;
Little Red Riding Hood (1922) Anson Dyer’s animation made for Hepworth Picture Plays with music by Rosy Parlane;
La Danse du diable (Sint-Lukas versions): nine alternative scores by students from Sint-Lukas Brussels University College of Art and Design;
• Illustrated booklet with introductory essay by the BFI’s silent film curator Bryony Dixon, music essay by Touch’s Mike Harding, plus film notes and credits.

Product details
RRP: £19.99 / cat. no. BFIVD529 / U
France / 1901–1908 / stencil-coloured, tinted, and black and white / silent with music / 156 mins / DVD-9 / Original aspect ratio 1.33:1 / Dolby Digital stereo audio (320 kbps)
...and the BFI has just published Valse excentrique (Eccentric Waltz) on its YouTube channel

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:30 am

Mondo Digital:
Considering the age and history of these films, the BFI DVD is a welcome treat for almost all of them. Only a tiny handful are taken from black and white prints, as most of them have the original color tinting and look pretty great. The constant barrage of wild, stylized hues is an intense experience after a few minutes, and it's a bit surprising that someone in the late '60s didn't think to stitch some of these together into a feature, slap on some psychedelic music, and market it to teens looking for another state of consciousness.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#7 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 pm

MichaelB wrote:Mondo Digital:
it's a bit surprising that someone in the late '60s didn't think to stitch some of these together into a feature, slap on some psychedelic music, and market it to teens looking for another state of consciousness.
Wasn't that the modus operandi of the Old Grey Whistle Test?

MichaelB

Re: Fairy Tales: Early Colour Stencil Films from Pathé

#8 Post by MichaelB » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:28 am

Filmwerk:
The BFI have really done themselves proud with their latest offering, almost two and a half hours of pure belle époque movie magic.

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:08 pm

The Arts Desk:
Although it's impossible to place yourself in the shoes of audiences seeing these other-worldly short films at the dawn of the 20th century, the reaction they provoke now cannot be that different. Delight, surprise and then amazement. These films were meant to be magical, and remain so. Taking 19th century theatre in all its forms, capturing it on film and making it even more unreal with hand tinting and editing resulted in a unique strand of cinema.

peerpee
not perpee

#10 Post by peerpee » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:12 pm

I'm halfway through this (many of the films are only a few minutes) and it's absolutely incredible. Magical, crazy films from over 100 years ago. Gobsmacked.

antnield

#11 Post by antnield » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Re-Score/Re-Issue, the Quietus on Fairy Tales and BFI commissioned soundtracks.

colinr0380

#12 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:01 pm

peerpee wrote:I'm halfway through this (many of the films are only a few minutes) and it's absolutely incredible. Magical, crazy films from over 100 years ago. Gobsmacked.
As much as I'm hoping to enjoy the films myself, I especially want to thank the BFI for presenting me with the last minute absolutely perfect Christmas gift for my mother, who ever since I was a child had a hobby where she used to enjoy drawing and watercolouring pictures of fairys. I don't think that she has seen any of these films or knows about the existence of the set yet, so I'm trying to keep it a secret from her until Christmas Day!

EddieLarkin

#13 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Barring a few of the more well known films, I found it difficult to get through the Flicker Alley George Melies set. Would anyone recommend this despite that? Are these films typically of a different style? I watched Eccentric Waltz at the link posted above, at the least I'd say the score alone is better than 90% of what appears on the Melies set. I'm somewhat intrigued.

antnield

#14 Post by antnield » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:02 am

Two of the composers, Marcus Davidson and Pascal Wyse, explain their approaches.

antnield

#15 Post by antnield » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:41 am

Another taster: Le Scarabée d'or (1907) with soundtrack from Jacob Kirkegaard.