Children's Film Foundation

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Children's Film Foundation

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Among the upcoming releases announced in the BFI's latest newsletter is The Children's Film Foundation Volume 1: London Tales.

That's literally all I know for now, but the title should provide some clues.

Calvin

Re: Children's Film Foundation

#2 Post by Calvin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:45 pm

I know that Network DVD released 4 volumes of CFF films on DVD (now OOP I think) but none of them included the only film I'd really be interested in purchasing - Powell/Pressburger's final film, The Boy Who Turned Yellow.

zedz

#3 Post by zedz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Well, that would be a natural choice for a London Tales collection (though I'm afraid I don't think much of it as a film).

antnield

#4 Post by antnield » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:22 pm

Volume one will include John Krish's wonderful The Salvage Gang, as confirmed here.

Duncan Hopper

#5 Post by Duncan Hopper » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:13 am

I believe the plan is to release 4 or 5 of these a year, each will contain a few films linked by a theme. There will be some overlap with the Network releases, but as the BFI now has the entire CFF collection, expect all sorts of exciting rare titles. These will also have exclusive painted covers by Graham Humphreys.

RossyG

#6 Post by RossyG » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:54 am

Duncan Hopper wrote:I believe the plan is to release 4 or 5 of these a year, each will contain a few films linked by a theme.
Wow! Brilliant! :D

Lots of themes suggest themselves looking at their back catalogue: science-fiction; overseas adventures; disaster; school stories; historical romps; robberies; animal stories...

I have all four Network discs, but I wouldn't mind crossovers. I'm sure the prints/transfers will be better than the sometimes grotty ones Network used.

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:06 am

RossyG wrote:I have all four Network discs, but I wouldn't mind crossovers. I'm sure the prints/transfers will be better than the sometimes grotty ones Network used.
I would hope that, as with the COI and BTF collections, the BFI is remastering the films for archiving purposes in parallel with the DVD releases - which is what usually happens when they take over an entire library.

RossyG

#8 Post by RossyG » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:01 am

If they're of the same quality as the two Famous Five serials then I'll be very happy.

antnield

#9 Post by antnield » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:41 pm

July 16th release date for Volume One. Directors listed as John Krish, David Eady and Pat Jackson - I'll let someone else speculate on the films that'll possibly involve.

antnield

#10 Post by antnield » Tue May 15, 2012 7:49 am

E-tailer blurb has revealed the contents to volume one...
For over 30 years the Children's Film Foundation dedicated itself to producing quality entertainment for young audiences, employing the cream of British filmmaking talent.

In this first volume of specially-curated DVD releases from the BFI, villains, gangsters and conmen are foiled by plucky London youngsters. Featuring the work of celebrated director John Krish, the films in London Tales also include assured performances from an array of familiar faces, including a fresh-faced John Moulder-Brown (playing a schoolboy in trouble), a young Frazer Hines (in and out of scrapes) and Bernard Cribbins (as a dastardly master-of-disguise).

Newly transferred from the best-available elements held in the BFI Archive, these much-loved and fondly-remembered family films finally make their welcome return to the screen after many years out of distribution.

Includes: The Salvage Gang (1958), Operation Third Form (1966) and Night Ferry (1976)

zedz

#11 Post by zedz » Tue May 15, 2012 4:26 pm

Don't you just love how John Krish has become a marketable auteur in record time?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#12 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue May 15, 2012 4:32 pm

zedz wrote:Don't you just love how John Krish has become a marketable auteur in record time?
Unfortunately not enough to see a Volume 2 on the near horizon

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 15, 2012 4:34 pm

I don't know about another dedicated volume, but there's certainly plenty more Krish in prospect over the next few months.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#14 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue May 15, 2012 5:00 pm

MichaelB wrote:I don't know about another dedicated volume, but there's certainly plenty more Krish in prospect over the next few months.
Whoopeee...Hurry Krish now, Hurry Krish now, Krish now Krish now etc etc

zedz

#15 Post by zedz » Tue May 15, 2012 5:05 pm

Merry Krishmas!

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#16 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed May 16, 2012 2:37 pm

Krishnamerci

antnield

#17 Post by antnield » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:32 am

Volume one artwork...

antnield

#18 Post by antnield » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:02 pm

The Guardian previews the releases.

GaryC

#19 Post by GaryC » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:52 am

Rangi's Catch, made by the CFF in New Zealand in 1972 is of particular interest to aficionados of antipodean cinema. It marks the screen debut of Temuera Morrison, aged eleven, in the title role.

It exists both as an eight-part serial (episodes of 14-18 minutes each) or a 93-minute feature. Presumably it will be turning up on DVD in due course.

MichaelB

#20 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:32 am

Full specs announced:
The Children’s Film Foundation
London Tales
The Salvage Gang; Operation Third Form; Night Ferry

Released 23 July 2012

For over 30 years the Children's Film Foundation produced quality entertainment for young audiences, employing the cream of British filmmaking talent. After many years out of distribution, these much-loved and fondly-remembered family films return to the screen, newly transferred from the best-available elements held in the BFI National Archive. In London Tales, the first volume of themed DVD releases from the BFI, villains, conmen and plain bad luck are no match for plucky London youngsters.

The CFF was a non-profit making pan-industry initiative, set up in 1951 by the owner of the Odeon and Rank cinema chains to make home-grown entertainment for young cinemagoers to see at the ‘Saturday morning pictures’.

One of the Foundation’s major contributions to the British film industry was encouraging directorial and acting talent. Michael Powell, Lewis Gilbert, Alberto Cavalcanti and John Krish all worked for it and famous film and TV names such as Francesca Annis, Michael Crawford, Susan George, Richard O’Sullivan, Dennis Waterman, Keith Chegwin, Gary Kemp, Leslie Ash, Phil Collins, Sadie Frost and Matthew Wright all started out in CFF films.

Key themes of the films include adventure, mysteries, monsters, science-fiction, ship wrecks, races and animals, with regional content from Scotland to South West England.

Directed by acclaimed filmmaker John Krish (I Think They Call Him John), The Salvage Gang (1958) is an affectionate tour of bomb-damaged London, featuring performances from a young Frazer Hines (Doctor Who, Emmerdale) and a cameo by Wilfred Brambell (Steptoe and Son). When four friends try to raise enough money to replace a broken saw, their money-making schemes take them on an unexpected journey through the capital.

With its groovy 1960s soundtrack, Operation Third Form (1966), by Children’s Film Foundation veteran David Eady, is a pacey boys’ own adventure. A fresh-faced John Moulder Brown (Deep End) gives a sparkling performance as the schoolboy out to foil a pair of North London crooks with his crack spy unit – his classmates and kid sister…

Night Ferry (1976) stars Bernard Cribbins (The Railway Children, Doctor Who) as ‘Pyramid’, a dastardly master-of-disguise who plans to smuggle an ancient Egyptian mummy out of the country. When young Jeff, played by Graham Fletcher-Cook, discovers the plan, a dangerous chase via South London’s Victoria Station and Clapham Junction ensues.

The Salvage Gang and Operation Third Form will be screened at BFI Southbank on Saturday 21 July at 3.10pm in the Capital Tales strand. John Krish, director of The Salvage Gang and actors Frazer Hines and Amanda Coxell will be introducing the screening.

The CFF collection is now preserved in the BFI National Archive. A selection of the films will be screened at BFI Southbank and released on BFI DVD over the next few years. Several films from the collection can already be watched for free in BFI Mediatheques and more will be made available in due course.

Special features
• Brand new High Definition transfers of all films
Topic – Children’s Theatre (1959, 14 mins): US TV show Topic on the work of the Children’s Film Foundation, with John Krish on the set of The Salvage Gang, J Arthur Rank and the CFF director Mary Field
• Illustrated booklet with essays by Andrew Roberts and Vic Pratt

RRP: £19.99 / cat. no. BFIVD948 / Cert U
UK / 1958 + 1966 + 1976 / black & white and colour / 50 mins + 56 mins + 58 mins / DVD 9 / Dolby Digital mono audio (320kbps) / Original aspect ratio 1.33:1

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#21 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:04 am

antnield wrote:Volume one artwork...

This is a great cover from a label not often known for such things-- looks like an interesting and fun release!

MichaelB

#22 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:09 am

The artwork has changed slightly since that was uploaded - it now looks like this:

MichaelB

#23 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:44 am

An excerpt from Night Ferry.

MichaelB

#24 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:17 am

Mondo Digital reviews London Tales, and likes it very much indeed.

antnield

#25 Post by antnield » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:23 pm

Another excerpt has been uploaded, this time from Krish's The Salvage Gang.