Before the Revolution

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Before the Revolution

#1 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:18 am

Before the Revolution

Young, middle-class and idealistic, Fabrizio struggles to break away from his bourgeois background. Bertolucci’s beautifully operatic film, winner of the Cannes Critics’ Week prize in 1964, celebrates the passion and ideology of the 1960s, and is presented here newly restored with a selection of revealing extra features.

Extras
- Presented in Standard Definition and High Definition (DVD and Blu-ray)
- Original theatrical trailer
- On-set footage (1963, 4 minutes, DVD only): extract from Italian TV series Cinema d’oggi featuring an interview with the young Bertolucci
- Interview with Bernardo Bertolucci (Giuseppe Bertolucci, 2003, 46 minutes, DVD only): the director discusses Before the Revolution
- Interviews with Roberto Perpignani, Vittorio Storaro and Ennio Morricone (Giuseppe Bertolucci, 2003, 26 minutes, DVD only)
- Working Copy (Giuseppe Bertolucci, 2003, 31 minutes, DVD only): comparisons between the working and final versions of the film
- Bernardo Bertolucci in conversation with David Thompson ( 2011, 6 minutes, DVD only): Q&A recorded at BFI Southbank

razumovsky

Re: Before the Revolution (Bernardo Bertolucci, 1964)

#2 Post by razumovsky » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:58 am

MichaelB wrote:Given the recent revival of this thread and all the speculation about availability, I'm delighted to be able to leak the news that the BFI is working on a Dual Format release of Bertolucci's second feature, which will be out later this year.

It will be sourced from the same digital master that fuelled this newly-edited trailer and the current theatrical revival.

More details when I get them.
That is good news. I saw this last night, as it happens, and it looks magnificent. Wonderful film, too.

Does this mean that Partner is coming too? It was mooted by BFI a while ago, but I haven't seen it mentioned since. Then of course there's Spider's Strategem, which I believe was once a Connoisseur VHS title - although I wonder if, being a TV film, the rights issues are more complicated.

knives

#3 Post by knives » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:01 pm

This is all I could ask for. I can't emphasize enough how BFI gets my vote this year.

antnield

#4 Post by antnield » Mon May 23, 2011 11:09 am

antnield

#5 Post by antnield » Tue May 24, 2011 4:46 am

Amazon product description:
Before the Revolution

A film by Bernardo Bertolucci

A rarely seen early work from one of world cinema s most acclaimed directors, Bernardo Bertolucci s beautiful and unique Before the Revolution - made when he was just 22 captures the passions and ideology of the 1960s. Young, idealistic and bourgeois, Fabrizio struggles to come to terms with these contradictions and master a transgressive love for his aunt

Part autobiography, part literary adaptation, part homage to the French new-wave and Italian neo-realists that inspired him, Bertolucci s virtuosic second film is an atmospheric, ambiguous portrait of idealistic youth.

Extra Features:

- Dual Format Edition: includes both the Blu-ray and the DVD of the film and the extras.
- Original theatrical trailer
- Today s Cinema (1963, 4 mins, DVD only): interview with the young Bernardo Bertolucci on the set of Before the Revolution
- Self-portrait (Giuseppe Bertolucci, 2003, 46 mins, DVD only): interview with Bernardo Bertolucci about making Before the Revolution
- The Workshop of the Young Masters (Giuseppe Bertolucci, 2003, 26 mins, DVD only): interviews with editor Roberto Perpignani, cinematorgrapher Vittorio Storaro and composer Ennio Morricone
- Variations by the author (Giuseppe Bertolucci, 2003, 31 mins, DVD only): comparisons between the working and final copy of Before the Revolution
- Interview with Bernardo Bertolucci (2011, 6 mins, DVD only)

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 24, 2011 5:36 am

Confirmed as Region B, I'm afraid - for the usual contractual reasons.

nolanoe

#7 Post by nolanoe » Tue May 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Michael, can you tell us about the chances of other early Bertolucci's possibly getting the treatment?

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 24, 2011 1:52 pm

2011 is shaping up to be a pretty good year for Bertolucci - La Commare Secca has just been released by Mr Bongo, and The Conformist is a forthcoming Dual Format release from Arrow. The BFI has hinted at a release of Partner in the past, but I don't know if anything ever came of that.

The most important MIA title is The Spider's Stratagem, but I'm not aware of any plans to release that either.

nolanoe

#9 Post by nolanoe » Tue May 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Yes, The Spider's Stratagem it is... Sad to hear there are no official news on this one, as it is one of the films I really would love to have a look on. I recall it being rather "tame" for Bertolucci, but that was a TV airing a LONG time ago.
It baffles me how these films have not been released yet, but I am at least glad to hear that The Conformist is FINALLY getting out. And I am crossing my finger's for Partner... So thanks a lot for this tidbit. :)

MichaelB

#10 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 24, 2011 2:04 pm

nolanoe wrote:I recall it being rather "tame" for Bertolucci
Absolutely not - it's one of his very best films. In fact, I don't think he ever improved on the Conformist/Spider's Stratagem two-header.

It's certainly less flamboyant than most of his other films, and it works better on the big screen (perversely, despite being made for television, he deliberately went overboard with medium and long shots because he hated the TV convention of close-ups), but it's certainly one of my favourites. Not to mention one of the most effective Borges adaptations.

Duncan Hopper

#11 Post by Duncan Hopper » Tue May 24, 2011 2:16 pm

You could conceivably see all sorts of Bertolucci released on DVD and Blu in the future. Cinecittà Luce recently made lots of nice new prints of pretty much all his work.

nolanoe

#12 Post by nolanoe » Tue May 24, 2011 2:45 pm

MichaelB wrote: Absolutely not - it's one of his very best films. In fact, I don't think he ever improved on the Conformist/Spider's Stratagem two-header.

It's certainly less flamboyant than most of his other films, and it works better on the big screen (perversely, despite being made for television, he deliberately went overboard with medium and long shots because he hated the TV convention of close-ups), but it's certainly one of my favourites. Not to mention one of the most effective Borges adaptations.
Hmm, interesting. I guess you have seen a cinema print, then (as Duncan mentioned, I heard of a new print of this that was shown), so I trust your opinion here. As I said, it was long ago and a TV-airing... I recall it had a heavy sepia tone (which surprised me, compared to Il Conformista's amazing colors), so a restoration would certainly win me over.

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 24, 2011 3:53 pm

It had a theatrical revival (or possibly premiere) in Britain in the early 1990s - I saw it then. I don't remember anything especially unusual about the colour scheme.

antnield

#14 Post by antnield » Tue May 24, 2011 5:49 pm

The TV screening, presuming that we're referring to British television, was in 1995 as part of the BBC 100, their selection of 100 sound films from 1930 (Morocco) to 1994 (The Days) to commemorate cinema's centenary. I don't think it has screened since. A few years earlier it had been released on VHS through the BFI's Connoisseur label alongside The Conformist and Before the Revolution. I seem to recall that it had a PG certificate, which may explain the comparative "tameness".

MichaelB

#15 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:18 am

Full specs announced:
Before the Revolution
A film by Bernardo Bertolucci
Starring Francesco Barilli, Adriana Asti
2-disc set

After its recent revival in cinemas, the BFI now releases Bernardo Bertolucci’s newly restored early film Before the Revolution in a Dual Format Edition (DVD & Blu-ray discs together) with a selection of revealing special features.

A rarely-seen early work from one of World Cinema’s most acclaimed directors, Bernardo Bertolucci’s beautifully operatic film Before the Revolution – made when he was just 22 – celebrates the passions and ideology of the 1960s.

Part autobiography, part homage to the French new-wave and Italian neo-realists that inspired him, Bertolucci’s second film is an atmospheric, ambiguous portrait of idealistic youth, which won the Cannes Critics’ Week Prize in 1964.

While young Fabrizio (Francesco Barilli) struggles with his commitment to the Communist Party his emotional life grows ever more complex. Breaking away from his planned marriage to Clelia (Cristina Pariset), a perfect bourgeoise, he embarks on an affair with his neurotic aunt Gina (Adriana Asti), who is visiting from Milan. With extraordinary skill and honesty Bertolucci explores the emotional and political conflicts of Fabrizio, his alter-ego.

Special features

• Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition (DVD & Blu-ray)
• Original theatrical trailer;
• On-set footage (1963, 4 mins, DVD only): extract from Italian TV series Cinema d’oggi featuring an interview with the young Bertolucci;
• Interview with Bernardo Bertolucci (Giuseppe Bertolucci, 2003, 46 mins, DVD only): the director discusses Before the Revolution;
• Interviews with Roberto Perpignani, Vittorio Storaro and Ennio Morricone (Giuseppe Bertolucci, 2003, 26 mins, DVD only);
Working Copy (Giuseppe Bertolucci, 2003, 31 mins, DVD only): comparisons between the working and final versions of the film;
• Bernardo Bertolucci in conversation with David Thompson (2011, 12 mins, DVD only): Q&A recorded at BFI Southbank;
• 22-page illustrated booklet with notes and essays.

Release date: 22 August 2011
RRP: £22.99 / cat. no. BFIB1099 / Cert 12
Italy / 1964 / black and white, and colour / Italian language with optional English subtitles / 112 mins / Original aspect ratio 1.85:1 / Region B
Disc 1: BD25 / 1080p / 24fps / PCM mono audio (48k/24bit)
Disc 2: DVD9 / PAL / Dolby Digital 320kbps

TMDaines

#16 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Looks awesome. I just wish the supplements weren't only on the DVD, even if they'll only be SD. I just know there's less chance of me going back and watching them if I have to change disk.
Last edited by TMDaines on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zombeaner

#17 Post by zombeaner » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:22 pm

TMDaines wrote:Looks awesome. I just wish the supplements weren't only on the DVD, even if they'll only be SD. I just know there's last chance of me going back and watching them if I have to change disk.
From a reviewing standpoint the extras thing is a problem since BFI tends to send only the Blu-ray disc from Dual Format releases.

MichaelB

#18 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:32 am

My Blu-ray screener has arrived with a note saying that the DVD will follow when it's ready.
TMDaines wrote:Looks awesome. I just wish the supplements weren't only on the DVD, even if they'll only be SD. I just know there's less chance of me going back and watching them if I have to change disk.
But presumably this also applies to the RHV DVD of Before the Revolution, since most or all of the supplements were on the second disc?

TMDaines

#19 Post by TMDaines » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:44 am

MichaelB wrote:My Blu-ray screener has arrived with a note saying that the DVD will follow when it's ready.
TMDaines wrote:Looks awesome. I just wish the supplements weren't only on the DVD, even if they'll only be SD. I just know there's less chance of me going back and watching them if I have to change disk.
But presumably this also applies to the RHV DVD of Before the Revolution, since most or all of the supplements were on the second disc?
Dunno, I haven't got it, but regardless your point is correct. I'm always more likely to watch the extras if they're on the same disc. It's not a major complaint, I was just suggesting that in future that the extras could possibly be on the Blu-ray also, just for the convenience, as they won't take up any noticable room anyway. It seems kind of silly only putting them on the DVD when space is at a premium as it is.

The cynic in me though wonders if one of the reasons it is done is so someone who only wants the Blu-ray wouldn't give/sell the DVD away thus losing a potential sale.

Don't get me wrong, it's just a mere suggestion. This is one of my most anticipated releases this year.

MichaelB

#20 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:53 am

TMDaines wrote:The cynic in me though wonders if one of the reasons it is done is so someone who only wants the Blu-ray wouldn't give/sell the DVD away thus losing a potential sale.
As far as I'm aware, BFI policy since they first got into Blu-ray is to avoid putting any SD material on the Blu-rays, to maximise compatibility with every system. While European players can handle NTSC (480p) material with no problems, it seems that many American players (including multi-region capable ones) can't cope with PAL (576p), and of course the BFI's SD video material would almost invariably be in PAL to begin with.

As for your theory... well, if it was planned intentionally, surely every Dual Format release would have some unique content on the DVD? Whereas in practice the Blu-rays and DVDs are often identical, aside from picture resolution.

TMDaines

#21 Post by TMDaines » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:17 am

MichaelB wrote:[As for your theory... well, if it was planned intentionally, surely every Dual Format release would have some unique content on the DVD? Whereas in practice the Blu-rays and DVDs are often identical, aside from picture resolution.
Yeh, I didn't believe what I said, I was merely being cynical. What's the reasoning behind the extras only being on the DVD here then? It can't be the bitrate as they've only used a 25GB disc, so clearly that isn't too much of an issue.

MichaelB

#22 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:45 am

TMDaines wrote:What's the reasoning behind the extras only being on the DVD here then?
I assume they were only available in SD video (I suspect most if not all of them originated in standard definition in the first place) - and in line with BFI policy that means they're exclusively presented on the DVD.

There may be an exception that I'm not aware of, but I think I'm right in saying that every scrap of footage on every BFI Blu-ray is in native HD.

zombeaner

#23 Post by zombeaner » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:42 am

MichaelB wrote:My Blu-ray screener has arrived with a note saying that the DVD will follow when it's ready.
That's interesting, I would assume that this would be the case for mine when it arrives eventually, as well, though I would be fine waiting, and it would benefit them as they wouldn't have to send to packages internationally.

McCrutchy

#24 Post by McCrutchy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:48 am

Yes, especially the Q&A shot in 2011 (surely that was in HD to begin with!), if I didn't know better I'd say it was cost-cutting at the authoring stage or minimizing the HD content to use a BD-25, but even so, the BFI are getting VERY PAL-happy with the extra content on their dual format releases.

MichaelB

#25 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:02 am

McCrutchy wrote:Yes, especially the Q&A shot in 2011 (surely that was in HD to begin with!)
As far as I'm aware, the Southbank Q&As are shot with two SD cameras - not too surprisingly, since they're primarily intended for streaming via BFI Live (in fact, you can watch the Bertolucci interview here).

Because they consist exclusively of talking heads filmed in comparatively dim lighting, I don't see any particularly compelling reason to go to the additional expense of shooting and editing in HD. Only a very small number of these videos has made it onto a commercial release - the vast majority (and we're now talking hundreds) are exclusively viewable online and likely to stay that way.
if I didn't know better I'd say it was cost-cutting at the authoring stage, but even so, the BFI are getting VERY PAL-happy with the extra content on their releases.
If the extras were available in HD in the first place (I think most of them originally appeared on RHV's two-disc DVD), you can rest assured they'd be on the Blu-ray. Why on earth would the BFI deliberately deny you HD content when the package already contains a Blu-ray disc? Especially given that, contrary to your bizarre "VERY PAL-happy" claim, the BFI arguably produces more genuine HD extras than any other British label?