A Day in the Life (John Krish, 1953-64)

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Re: A Day in the Life (John Krish, 1953-64)

#26 Post by MichaelB » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:47 am

If that's your reaction to that film, you'd better have a very stiff drink handy for I Think They Call Him John!

knives

#27 Post by knives » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:58 am

I actually had an easier time with that one, had to wait something like two hours and get real work done but hey. It was just as somber, but I could place my emotions and reason things out so I actually had a really fun time with I Think They Call Him John which was really great too. I think the presence of a human to apply everything to helped in that regard. I really don't know what in The Elephants Will Never Forget made me react the way I did but the movie is still affecting me actually, hence still being awake at one in the morning, but the other films no matter how great didn't leave that sort of impression. All things said though this release has gotten me very pumped for the Jennings release and maybe after Amazon finally sends me the Geoffrey Jones disc I'll pick up one of the other BFI doc sets.

MichaelB

#28 Post by MichaelB » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:13 am

As highlighted in its own thread, Shadows of Progress is an unbelievable bargain on Amazon at the moment.

RossyG

#29 Post by RossyG » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:34 am

knives wrote:I actually had an easier time with that one...
You empathised more with trams than with a poor, lonely old man??? :shock: :wink:

Try watching the one about the primary school next. It's great fun, very feel-good and the kids are sweet (albeit very old-fashioned-looking to modern eyes).

knives

#30 Post by knives » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:33 pm

I finished the whole set and liked it a lot. Instantly makes me a fan at the least.
RossyG wrote:
knives wrote:I actually had an easier time with that one...
You empathised more with trams than with a poor, lonely old man??? :shock: :wink:

Try watching the one about the primary school next. It's great fun, very feel-good and the kids are sweet (albeit very old-fashioned-looking to modern eyes).
I empathized with the old man better and that's why I had a more normalized reaction, I could rationalize everything. There was an ability to relate with the old man that isn't present in the trams. That's what I'm assuming anythings.
Last edited by knives on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

antnield

#31 Post by antnield » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:18 am

The Digital Fix
[The BFI's] generous dedication to British film, particularly documentaries, has allowed the entire world to have its eyes opened to material that was previously less than an afterthought.

MichaelB

#32 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:07 pm

John Krish fans might want to take a look at this...