Tintin and the Blue Oranges / Mystery of the Golden Fleece

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

antnield

Tintin and the Blue Oranges / Mystery of the Golden Fleece

#1 Post by antnield » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:09 am

The two live action Tintin films promised in the Black Jack press release...
Future releases will include [...] two volumes of Tintin stories made in the early 1960s.
...are now up for pre-order at Play.com for October release:

Tintin and the Blue Oranges
Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece

RossyG

Re: Tintin and the Blue Oranges / Mystery of the Golden Flee

#2 Post by RossyG » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:08 am

I wonder if the subtitles will use the French character names (Milou the dog; Professor Tournesol etc...) or use the ones from the English translations (Snowy; Professor Calculus etc...).

antnield

#3 Post by antnield » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:41 am

I think it's safe to assume that Golden Fleece will include the rare English dub that came into the BFI's possession a few years back. It was screened as part of the BFI's very first Flipside event back in March 2007 (info here).

Meanwhile, I'm wondering as to whether these will be issued on Blu or not - they have in France (I believe, although I may be wrong here, without English subtitles) - but Play.com is only listing them as DVDs at the moment.

RossyG

#4 Post by RossyG » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:51 am

Yes, both the films are on BD in France without English subs. Because of this and Tintin's popularity in the UK, not to mention the upcoming Spielberg film, I've got my fingers crossed that this'll be a Blu Ray release.

knives

#5 Post by knives » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:46 pm

Are these actually good? I just can't imagine Tintin in live action.

RossyG

#6 Post by RossyG » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:56 am

They ok lightweight fun for children and adult fans of the series. Jean-Pierre Talbot - 19 in the first film, a sports instructor who went on to become a teacher and then headmaster in Begium - is amazingly good in his only acting role. He really looks the part. The others are very good too, especially the Thompsons/Les Dupondt.

knives

#7 Post by knives » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:16 pm

Saw the German trailer (for Blue Oranges) and this does look appropriately odd. I can't imagine it being anything other than a goofy good time.

antnield

#8 Post by antnield » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:32 am

- Region 0
- Fully illustrated booklet with newly commissioned essays and notes by actor Jean-Pierre Talbot
- Remastered to High Definition

Professor Calculus' dreams of ending world hunger are brought one step closer by the creation of a desert-proof orange, deep blue in colour. But it seems he's not the only one interested in this magnificent scientific discovery. When the strange blue orange - invented by Spanish Professor Zalamandea - is stolen, Tintin, Captain Haddock, Calculus and Snowy the dog make for Spain to investigate.

Jean-Pierre Talbot, a life-long friend of Tintin creator Hergé, plays the boy-reporter for the second time in this wonderful live-action adaptation and is well-supported by Jean Bouise's (Le grand bleu) excellent comic performance as the irrepressible Captain Haddock. Adapted by Asterix creator René Goscinny this lively adventure is a must for Tintin fans.
- Region 0
- Fully illustrated booklet with newly commissioned essays and notes by actor Jean-Pierre Talbot
- Remastered to High Definition
- Includes original English dubbed version

A surprise message from Istanbul is about to ruin Captain Haddock's day. Named as sole beneficiary in the will of his late comrade Paparanic, Haddock and his best friend, intrepid boy reporter Tintin (Jean-Pierre Talbot), journey to Turkey to claim a strangely disappointing bounty - but is all as it seems? One of the very few adaptations to meet with Tintin creator Hergé's approval, Tintin and the Golden Treasure is a spirited live-action take on his iconic comic creation and features all his best-loved characters. Uncanny Tintin-alike, Jean-Pierre Talbot's martial arts skills and the larger-than-life Georges Wilson as Captain Haddock make for lively performances in a film which no Tintin fan, young or old, will want to be without.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#9 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:38 am

Slightly disappointed by the cover art that seems to be a bastardisation of the original poster here http://www.tintin.free.fr/aventures/cin ... ix=oranges" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which I am proud to have adorning the wall of a spare bedroom.

[img]afforanges.jpg[/img]

RossyG

#10 Post by RossyG » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:37 am

Are these just DVD then? It says they were remastered to HD but makes no mention of Blu ray. Along with the Famous Five DVDs, you'd think the popularity of the characters would have justified putting out a BD. Ah well...

PS> I love the cover art.

RossyG

#11 Post by RossyG » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:27 am

Three minutes into this clip - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x83gh0 ... shortfilms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - you get a 1961 interview with Jean-Pierre Talbot in his Tintin costume and then an update filmed in 1995. There's also footage of Herge's enthusiasm about the casting.

French only with no subs, alas.

Camera Obscura

#12 Post by Camera Obscura » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:39 pm

knives wrote:Are these actually good? I just can't imagine Tintin in live action.
They're not. I'm a huge Tintin fan and collect every single shred there is to find about Tintin, but these two films are simply awful.

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:45 am

Official press release:
BFI releases two rare Tintin adventure films on DVD

This autumn the BFI adds to its range of family DVDs with the release of two rarely seen and previously unreleased live-action films starring Hergé’s intrepid boy reporter Tintin.

Remastered to High Definition, Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece (1961) and Tintin and the Blue Oranges (1964) are both released on DVD on 18 October.

Shot on location with a flair that makes them look like James Bond films for kids, these live-action adventures will appeal to Tintin fans young and old. Both titles are beautifully packaged, featuring original artwork adapted from original film posters.

Each release contains an illustrated booklet featuring the first ever English translation of extracts from Tintin actor Jean-Pierre Talbot’s autobiography J'étais Tintin au cinema; fact-filled essays from Tintinologists Simon Doyle and Christian Owens and contributions by Vic Pratt, Curator at the BFI National Archive, and John Fardell, Viz comic artist and children's author.

The Adventures of Tintin comic strip stories are amongst the most popular and successful comic books ever written, published in over 50 languages and selling millions of copies. Tintin’s enduring appeal will receive a boost next year with Steven Spielberg’s big-screen release of The Secret of the Unicorn, with a screenplay by Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish.

Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece (Jean-Jacques Vierne, 1961)

One of the very few adaptations to meet with Tintin creator Hergé’s approval, Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece is a spirited live-action take on his iconic comic creation and features all his best-loved characters. As well as uncanny Tintin-alike Jean-Pierre Talbot’s martial arts skills and the larger-than-life Georges Wilson as Captain Haddock, the film features the talents of other established character actors including Marcel Bozzuffi (The French Connection) and Charles Vanel, famed for having the longest career of any film actor (Henri-Georges Clouzot's Les Diaboliques, The Wages of Fear and La Verité and Hitchcock's To Catch a Thief).

A surprise message from Istanbul is about to ruin Captain Haddock’s day. Named as sole beneficiary in the will of his late comrade Paparanic, Haddock and his best friend Tintin, journey to Turkey to claim a strangely disappointing bounty – but is all as it seems? Aided by their friends, the eccentric Professor Calculus and faithful Snowy the dog, Tintin and Haddock set out to solve the mystery of Paparanic’s bequest – a rusty old ship called the Golden Fleece. Along the way they confront slippery lawyers, ex-pirates, dangerous gangsters and the bumbling Thom(p)son detectives in an action-packed journey that takes them from Turkey to Greece.

Special features

- New High Definition transfer
- Optional English language dub track
- Illustrated booklet with newly commissioned essays and notes by actor Jean-Pierre Talbot

Tintin and the Blue Oranges (Philippe Condroyer, 1964)

Professor Calculus’ dreams of ending world hunger are brought one step closer by the creation of a desert-proof orange, deep blue in colour. But it seems he’s not the only one interested in this magnificent scientific discovery. When the strange blue orange – invented by Spanish Professor Zalamea – is stolen, Tintin, Captain Haddock, Calculus and Snowy the dog make for Spain to investigate. In a riotous adventure Tintin and friends must overcome violent kidnappers, deadly traps and unscrupulous rich adventurers to rescue the orange and themselves. With help from a gang of enterprising kids and big-hearted opera menace Bianca Castifiore can Tintin save the day?

Jean-Pierre Talbot, who became a life-long friend of Tintin creator Hergé, plays the boy-reporter for the second time in this wonderful live-action adventure and is well-supported by Jean Bouise’s (Le grand bleu) excellent comic performance as the irrepressible Captain Haddock.

Adapted by Asterix creator René Goscinny this lively adventure is another must for Tintin fans.

Special features

- New High Definition transfer
- Illustrated booklet with newly commissioned essays and notes by actor Jean-Pierre Talbot

Each title has an RRP of £17.99.

Technical details

Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece
Cat no: BFIV902 / Belgium / 1961 / Cert PG / colour / French language with English subtitles / English dub track / 98 mins / Original aspect ratio 16:9 (1.66:1)

Tintin and the Blue Oranges
Cat no: BFIV903 / Belgium / 1964 / Cert U / colour / French language with English subtitles / 96 mins / Original aspect ratio 16:9 (1.66:1)
Last edited by MichaelB on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jerome

#14 Post by jerome » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:47 pm

they are available in France on Blu-ray with 1080i HD transfers which are quite good. One of the films has the original theatrical trailer. only french tracks, no subtitles

Too bad BFI didn't include the excellent documentary Hollywood- Moulinsart, on the many tentatives to bring Tintin to the screen. It is a 50 minutes documentary made during the 90s for the french television. If I remember correctly, there is a english dub of this documentary.

RossyG

#15 Post by RossyG » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:02 am

I wonder who the actors are on the new Blue Oranges English language dub. Unknowns or have a few high profile Tintin fans and Equity members volunteered their services?

Is this a first for the BFI DVD range, creating a new dub track?

MichaelB

#16 Post by MichaelB » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:26 pm

RossyG wrote:I wonder who the actors are on the new Blue Oranges English language dub. Unknowns or have a few high profile Tintin fans and Equity members volunteered their services?

Is this a first for the BFI DVD range, creating a new dub track?
No, because I'm afraid there was an error in the press release - Blue Oranges is being presented only in the original French, while Golden Fleece has an original 1961 dub track that was found in the BFI National Archive.

Apologies for misleading people (however inadvertently) - I'll correct the press release now.

antnield

#19 Post by antnield » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:30 pm

Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece is getting a budget re-release in October to coincide with the Spielberg movie. New packaging too...

imhotep

#20 Post by imhotep » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Remastered to HD but no BD!? What is the point of it then?
Why not make it a dual-format edition BFI?