The Edge of the World

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

The Edge of the World

#1 Post by MichaelB » Mon May 10, 2010 10:45 am

One of the BFI's most celebrated DVD releases is now confirmed as a Blu-ray release on 23 August.

More details when I get them.

DanV

Re: The Edge of the World (Michael Powell, 1937)

#2 Post by DanV » Wed May 12, 2010 11:01 am

What?? Marry, I'm in Heaven.

perkizitore

#3 Post by perkizitore » Sun May 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Special features courtesy of Play.com
* Daniel Day-Lewis reads extracts from 200,000 Feet on Foula
* Commentary featuring Thelma Schoonmaker (Michael Powell's widow, Martin Scorsese's editor) and film critic Ian Christie
* Michael Powell's home movies
* Documentary: Return to the Edge of the World (1978)
* Travelogue: St Kilda - Britain's Loneliest Isle (1928)
* Biographies of Michael Powell and producer Joe Rock
* Subtitles for hard of hearing

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:59 am

I'm delighted to confirm that this title is region-free.

DanV

#6 Post by DanV » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:03 pm

This IS gonna be the BD of the year!

Oh, no wait... the Ozus, The Innocents, the Leopard, Benjamenta... However, BFI's doing great.

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:05 pm

I'm really looking forward to this one - the transfer of the DVD deservedly got rave reviews, and I'm pretty sure it was sourced from an HD master. In which case the Blu-ray will have all of its virtues, plus tons more detail.

UPDATE: I've since found out that absolutely everything on the Blu-ray will be in native 1080p, including extras not featured on the DVD (the trailer, alternative titles and scenes), and that this version of the film was personally signed off by Thelma Schoonmaker-Powell, who considers it definitive. Granted, filmmakers' widows aren't usually the obvious authorities in such cases, but I think we can make an exception here - not least given her demonstrable commitment to film preservation and restoration on top of her stellar track record as an editor and Powell expert.

UPDATE NO.2: Contrary to what I said above, it seems that a brand new master was created for the Blu-ray, whose technical supervisor has described it as "a significant leap forward over all previously available versions". The crucial difference between this and earlier masters is that it was sourced directly from the original 35mm nitrate negative as well as the safety fine grain materials - so this really should be absolutely definitive.

DanV

#8 Post by DanV » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:45 pm

Thanks for the updates. A BD with a brand new master will be peerless.
Last edited by DanV on Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zedz

#9 Post by zedz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:47 pm

Fantastic news - and this was already one of my favourite BFI DVDs.

RossyG

#10 Post by RossyG » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:46 pm

Sounds great. Time to pre-order and donate my DVD to a friend. :)

Jeff

#11 Post by Jeff » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:25 am

MichaelB wrote:I'm delighted to confirm that this title is region-free.
Just now saw this post. Thanks for the wonderful news, Michael. Definitely sounds like a "disc of the year" candidate!

MichaelB

#12 Post by MichaelB » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:30 am

Full specs announced:
The Edge of the World
A film by Michael Powell

A powerful story of love, rivalry and survival against the harsh elemental realities of island life and an ever-encroaching modernity, The Edge of the World is released on Blu-ray from a High Definition master, overseen and approved by Michael Powell’s widow, award-winning editor Thelma Schoonmaker-Powell.

Shot over four arduous months in the wild, windswept Shetland Islands, The Edge of the World was legendary British director Michael Powell's first independent production and established the daring techniques and experimentation that would become familiar hallmarks of his career.

Stirring performances from a strong cast, including the inimitable John Laurie (The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, The 39 Steps, Dad's Army) as the Island's fiercely proud patriarch and the dashing Niall MacGinnis as a wounded lover, inject a warm liveliness that belies the extremity of the weather.

Previously released on DVD by the BFI, this Blu-ray release now also contains additional scenes and the original trailer. Among the many extras is a full feature commentary by Thelma Schoonmaker-Powell and Professor Ian Christie, with extracts from Powell’s book about the making of the film, 200,000 Feet on Foula, read by Daniel Day-Lewis.

Special features (all content presented in High Definition)

* Full-feature commentary by Thelma Schoonmaker-Powell and Professor Ian Christie with extracts from Powell’s book about the making of the film, 200,000 feet on Foula read by Daniel Day-Lewis

* Alternative scenes (1944, 9 mins): specially shot for a shorter version of the film released in 1944

* Original trailer (2 mins)

* Return to the Edge of the World (Michael Powell, 1979, 24 mins): Michael Powell and actor John Laurie journey to the island of Foula to see what has changed in the 42 years since they filmed The Edge of the World there

* Michael Powell’s home movies narrated by Thelma Schoonmaker-Powell (c. 1955, 7 mins): Powell and friends on a hiking expedition in the Scottish highlands

* St Kilda – Britain’s Loneliest Isle (Topical Productions, 1928/1923, 16 mins): a travelogue from St. Kilda

* Fully illustrated 26-page booklet with new essay by Professor Ian Christie, a contemporary review, promotional materials and credits

Release date: 23 August 2010
RRP: £19.99 / cat. no. BFIB1030 / cert U
UK / 1937 / black and white / English / optional subtitles for hearing-impaired / 75 mins + 58 mins / BD25 / original aspect ratio 1.37:1 / 1080p / 24fps / PCM mono audio 48/24-bit)

broadwayrock

#13 Post by broadwayrock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:43 pm

Bleddyn Williams

#17 Post by Bleddyn Williams » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:57 pm

I've seen this film for the first time, and loved it. The overall package, extras are just wonderfully complementary.

I must admit, though, I thought I had a problem when there was no audio for the alternate scenes. I've just read the above reviews and only one reviewer mentions this. I don't remember the booklet mentioning this at all, although it strikes me that would have been a good thing to point out.

denti alligator

#18 Post by denti alligator » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:45 pm

One of the best releases of the year. Stunning example of what Blu can do to older films.

nitin

Re: The Edge of the World

#19 Post by nitin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:24 am

I just watched this disc and although the 9-10 year old underlying HD restoration still looks pretty lovely, the very low bitrate does unfortunately result in noticeable compression artifacting in a key scene (the 3 main characters discussing the decision by one of hem to leave). Shame because otherwise this is otherwise still a delightful presentation of a charming little film.