Black Jack

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

antnield

Black Jack

#1 Post by antnield » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Googling info on some of the upcoming BFI discs I came across this press release. It confirms titles that have been discussed elsewhere on this forum, apart from the mention of Ken Loach's Black Jack. The info, for those who don't wish to sift through the .pdf is as follows...
Black Jack (Ken Loach, 1979) – released 21 June

DVD premiere of this visually stunning feature film, adapted from Leon Garfield’s children’s novel, set in 1750s York. Directed by one of Britain’s most celebrated directors, Ken Loach.

Cash Flagg

Re: Black Jack

#2 Post by Cash Flagg » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:25 pm

antnield

#3 Post by antnield » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:02 am

Cover art:

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 14, 2010 10:20 am

Full specs announced:
Black Jack – The Director’s Cut
A film by Ken Loach

The BFI is proud to present the world premiere of Ken Loach's director's cut of Black Jack. Available for the first time on DVD in the UK, this ‘lost’ Loach also features a director's commentary recorded exclusively for the BFI. Black Jack is the first of a new strand of adaptations of children’s literary classics to be released on DVD by the BFI this year.

Based on Leon Garfield’s popular novel, this long-unseen film adaptation from celebrated British filmmaker Ken Loach is an adventure story which will capture the imagination of adults and children alike.

When honest young Tolly Pickering is forced to go on the run with a villainous ruffian named Black Jack, adventure and mishap are never far away. As the two enter a world of body-snatchers, private lunatic asylums and travelling fairs, they find friendship in the most unlikely places.

With Chris Menges’ beautiful photography, enchanting performances by its charismatic young cast and Loach’s gentle, observational style – similarly seen in his earlier feature Kes (1969) – Black Jack received the Critics’ award at the 1979 Cannes Film Festival.

Special features

- Exclusive feature commentary by director Ken Loach
- English and French language versions of the feature
- Illustrated booklet with newly commissioned essays, extracts from Terry Deary’s Horrible Histories series and more
- Original trailer
- Deleted scenes

Release date: 21 June 2010
RRP: £15.99 / cat. no. BFIVD844 / cert PG
UK / 1979 / colour / English, optional subtitles for the hearing-impaired /
98 mins / DVD-9 / Aspect ratio 1.56:1 / Dolby Digital mono audio (320 kbps)

Dr Amicus

#5 Post by Dr Amicus » Wed May 19, 2010 11:10 am

Director's Cut? Does anyone know how this came about?

I have to admit I haven't seen this at all. I might have a copy of this on a vhs IF Film4 showed it as part of their Loach season about 10 years ago. I know The Gamekeeper was, but can't remember re this - I suppose I'll have to rummage through piles of dusty, mouldering tapes...

antnield

#6 Post by antnield » Wed May 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Dr Amicus wrote:I have to admit I haven't seen this at all. I might have a copy of this on a vhs IF Film4 showed it as part of their Loach season about 10 years ago. I know The Gamekeeper was, but can't remember re this - I suppose I'll have to rummage through piles of dusty, mouldering tapes...
It wasn't screened as part of the Film4 season, but Channel Five did show it back in 2000 when their film programming was a bit more adventurous that it is today. (I remember finally catching up with The Picasso Summer, The Illustrated Man and a Wertmuller around the same time too.)

GaryC

#7 Post by GaryC » Thu May 20, 2010 2:04 am

IIRC it has been shown on Film 4 now and again.

I haven't seen it, but I'd be interested to. I've read Leon Garfield's novel twice - once at the age of ten, and again a few years ago.

antnield

#8 Post by antnield » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:08 pm

The BFI have put the trailer up on their YouTube channel.

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Dr Amicus wrote:Director's Cut? Does anyone know how this came about?
My understanding is that Loach was unhappy about quite a few aspects of the original 1979 version, and welcomed the chance to give it a going-over - in fact, I think it was his idea.

This is actually one of the few "director's cuts" that's shorter than the original release version - but I suspect the surplus footage ended up in the 'deleted scenes' section, so no-one should be losing out.

MichaelB

#10 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:03 am

RossyG

#11 Post by RossyG » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:40 am

I watched this last night. It's a great film, well-worth getting. I was a Leon Garfield fan as a kid and this adaptation really captures his world, although I'd slightly question Loach's use of naturalistic performances. It makes the kids come across as amateurish at time. I really wanted the boy playing Hatch to give a more heightened Jack Wild type of performance. The realist approach works a lot better with the adults, though, and gives a welcome change to the 'give it all you've got' style of campery you get in BBC Dickens adaptations.

The visuals are quite beautiful at times. The transfer itself is excellent; the print used is pretty good but with cigarette burns and the odd bit of dirt and 'sparkle'. The booklet suggests this is the best print available; perhaps that's why this is a DVD-only release. There's a white noise hum on the soundtrack that comes and goes as scenes change, especially in the second half. I'd guess that it was a 'burnt in' fault in the original recording, a result of a rushed, low budget production, and it's not too distracting.

I'd argue that all of the scenes Loach deleted for this edition were worth cutting except for the last one. Set in a pub, it contains information that I would say was necessary and should have been retained.

I'll listen to the commentary tonight; should be fascinating.

All in all, highly recommended.

MichaelB

#12 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:46 am

RossyG wrote:The visuals are quite beautiful at times. The transfer itself is excellent; the print used is pretty good but with cigarette burns and the odd bit of dirt and 'sparkle'. The booklet suggests this is the best print available; perhaps that's why this is a DVD-only release.
There was no real choice about this - as the booklet explains, parts of the print were so damaged that they had to resort to an analogue broadcast master to fill in the gaps. So while a Blu-ray would have been notionally possible, parts of it would have had to be upscaled SD video, and I don't think that would have gone down too well.

colinr0380

#13 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:05 pm

MichaelB

#14 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:04 pm