Gregory's Girl

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Gregory's Girl

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 04, 2023 10:15 am

Out on 21 August is the BFI’s new 4K restoration of Bill Forsyth’s GREGORY’S GIRL (1980). This coming-of-age masterpiece is widely considered one of the greatest Scottish movies ever made. Starring John Gordon Sinclair, Dee Hepburn and Clare Grogan, GREGORY’S GIRL has been charming audiences around the world for over 40 years. Our stunning new restoration uses the original camera negative and the film will be available in separate 4K UHD and Blu-ray editions.

What A Disgrace

Re: Gregory's Girl

#2 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu May 04, 2023 10:46 am

Splendid news!

Finch

#3 Post by Finch » Thu May 04, 2023 1:02 pm

Interesting that they're not doing dual format anymore.

What A Disgrace

#4 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu May 04, 2023 1:05 pm

Get Carter and The Proposition were not dual format, either. I think it will be on a case by case basis.

Finch

#5 Post by Finch » Thu May 04, 2023 5:31 pm

You're absolutely right. I don't know why I was thinking the BFI was ever doing dual format for 4k and BD. My brain is turning to mush.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#6 Post by swo17 » Thu May 04, 2023 5:34 pm

Well I think Seventh Seal and Full Circle are dual format

beamish14

#7 Post by beamish14 » Thu May 04, 2023 7:36 pm

Is it too much to hope that Andrina will finally get a release on this disc?

DeprongMori

#8 Post by DeprongMori » Thu May 04, 2023 10:54 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 7:36 pm
Is it too much to hope that Andrina will finally get a release on this disc?
Fingers crossed. I’m despairing of ever being able to view that one. I have no idea whether it’s a rights issue or something else. (Never mind. It seems to be BBC Scotland.)

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 05, 2023 1:55 am

If anyone can pull that off, the BFI can, but it may simply boil down to the BBC wanting an unrealistic amount of money, as ever.

Calvin

#10 Post by Calvin » Fri May 05, 2023 6:07 am

Doug Weir (of the BFI) told me at the time that Andrina was considered as an extra for That Sinking Feeling but was too expensive to clear. I don't see that changing but, you never know, here's hoping.

jheez

#11 Post by jheez » Sat May 06, 2023 8:45 am

The 4k is only 12.99GBP on Amazon at the moment

ntnon

#12 Post by ntnon » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:38 am

Just caught it on the Channel. I will be buying a copy as soon as possible - what a fantastic, funny, witty film. Good acting, great scenes.. glad I've finally seen this.

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:20 am

Full specs announced:
GREGORY’S GIRL
A film by Bill Forsyth
John Gordon Sinclair, Dee Hepworth, Clare Grogan

BFI UHD, Blu-ray, iTunes and Amazon Prime release on 11 September 2023

See the brand new trailer here

A huge breakout hit on its original release in 1981, GREGORY’S GIRL was nominated for four Baftas, winning for Best Original Screenplay. Bill Forsyth’s much-loved coming-of-age comedy remains one of film’s greatest depictions of teen awkwardness and longing, and is an enduring favourite of Scottish cinema. Newly restored by the BFI, this is the definitive release of the film, available in both UHD and standard Blu-ray presentations on 11 September 2023. Special features include an audio commentary with Bill Forsyth and Mark Kermode (2014), a newly recorded commentary with cast members Robert Buchanan, Douglas Sannachan and Caroline Guthrie and the rarely seen The Strathclyde Tapes: Bill Forsyth, featuring the writer and director as he discusses GREGORY’S GIRL and the Scottish film industry in the early 90s.

Gregory (John Gordon Sinclair) and his friends are starting to notice girls – particularly Dorothy (Dee Hepburn), not least because she’s on the football team and is a better player than all the boys. With counselling from his younger sister, can Gregory finally work up the courage to ask Dorothy out?

Special features
• UHD: 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
• Blu-ray: Newly restored and presented in High Definition
• Audio commentary with Bill Forsyth and Mark Kermode (2014)
• Newly recorded audio commentary with Robert Buchanan, Douglas Sannachan and Caroline Guthrie
• Gregory’s Girl Q&A with John Gordon Sinclair, Clare Grogan and Dee Hepburn (2015, 30 mins): the stars of Gregory’s Girl are interviewed on stage by Sue Harris to mark the film’s 35th anniversary
• Bill Forsyth: The Early Years (2014, 21 mins): an archive interview with the director
• The Strathclyde Tapes: Bill Forsyth (1992, 38 mins): the writer and director discusses his career and film craft with an audience of schoolchildren in this rarely seen archive interview
• Clare Grogan: Gregory’s Girl Memories (2014, 12 mins): an interview with the actor
• Soundtrack gallery (2023, 13 mins): alternative takes and unused music from Gregory’s Girl, accompanied by a selection of stills from the BFI National Archive
• Alternative US dialogue version
• US trailer
***First pressing only*** illustrated booklet with new essays by Tim Blanchard, David Archibald and Claire Walker; a review by Gilbert Adair from Sight & Sound Quarterly, Summer 1981, credits and notes on the special features

UHD release: Product details
RRP: £24.99 / Cat. no. BFIU0006 / 12
UK / 1980 / colour / 92 minutes / English language with optional descriptive subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.85:1 // UHD66: 2160p, 24fps, DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 mono audio

Blu-ray release: Product details
RRP: £19.99 / Cat. no. BFIB1493 / 12
UK / 1980 / colour / 92 minutes / English language with optional descriptive subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.85:1 // BD50: 1080p, 24fps, DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 mono audio

MichaelB

#14 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:25 am

What A Disgrace wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:05 pm
Get Carter and The Proposition were not dual format, either. I think it will be on a case by case basis.
I gather they got loads of complaints about their one dual-format UHD/BD release to date, with people who never had any intention of upgrading to 4K being decidedly peeved about being asked to pay a pretty hefty premium.

If there was any realistic way of being able to release something dual format and charge the same as a single-format Blu-ray release, that would obviously be ideal, but that simply isn't financially feasible when set against the per-unit manufacturing cost of UHD discs.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#15 Post by tenia » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:16 pm

Some people will complain if it's DF, others will if it's not.

ryannichols7

#16 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:23 am

we are beyond lucky to have gotten this beautiful film on UHD - I was shocked when it was announced, and now I feel even stronger about that after having watched the film. I picked it up solely on the strength of Local Hero and I think I like it even better than that film, though I'm really excited to watch it a second time now that I know where it ends up. I love that this film bucks so many conventions - it's a coming of age, high school film that's not crass or crosses too many lines - while I love Fast Times at Ridgemont High, I appreciated that Forsyth kept the full on horniness to the very first scene. would've been fine with it, but the route he takes is a lot more pure. these are very offbeat, oddball kids and it's nice hearing their curiosities ("Caracus" of course being extemely hilarious) without it becoming a bit too over the top. I wasn't prepared at all that:
SpoilerShow
the movie genuinely has so many fakeouts and twists - you get so comfortable in the "hangout" space of it, and the way it fully sets you up for it to be a Gregory/Dorothy thing, only to throw you down another path, is incredible. the title of the movie alone is incredibly genius! the way the last 30 minutes unravels is something to behold
was expecting a lot more football scenes but what we got was definitely enough too. I just really appreciated how the kids of both genders were written. the boys were written to be dumb but in a really curious, endearing way that was steeped in inexperience above anything else. they aren't fully idiots, they just need time and experience on their side! and the girls weren't meanspirited or evil or anything. they play along with it, and I appreciate how that's written in a very true-to-life way without being some sort of male wish fulfillment from a male director. hell,
SpoilerShow
the movie is even pro-poly with the whole "girls help each other" thing, isn't it?? talk about progressive!
I loved it really. makes me so excited to see more of Forsyth's work, I need to go back and get ahold of That Sinking Feeling for sure. haven't gone through any of the features at all yet but I appreciate that the BFI basically went all in on the "where are they now?" archive, cause if there was ever a film for it, this would be it! the presentation looked super amazing to my eyes, the Dolby Vision aiding in those crucial night time scenes and the "dance" scene towards the end of the film was ravishing. hoping Local Hero gets the same treatment someday. will report back on the supplements, but tremendous job by the BFI in bringing this one to the format, you guys should support it if you haven't already!