Bodysong

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

antnield

Bodysong

#1 Post by antnield » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:13 am

DVD and Blu. March 22nd 2010
An epic vision of love, sex, violence and death, Bodysong is the story of our lives told through archive footage from across the world and spanning 100 years of cinema. With an ambitious score by Radiohead’s Jonny Greenwood, director Simon Pummell has created an almost mythic document that is a celebration, and also indictment, of the human spirit. This DVD includes two early shorts by Simon Pummell and interactive content which provides us with the stories of the people portrayed in each of the extraordinary images.

ellipsis7

Re: Bodysong

#2 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:26 am

Moving from the micro (spermatozoa advancing on an egg) to the macro (Earth suspended in space), this first feature-length work from acclaimed animator/experimentalist Pummell offers an exhilaratingly fresh look at the human experience. Boasting a fine score by Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood, it's essentially a montage of archive footage sourced from a century of cinema and television. It's structured primarily according to the chronological progress of the human body, but also includes a few well-chosen detours into sex, illness, conflict, religion, art and politics. In sum, it embraces both individual and species, physics and metaphysics, body and soul. The images are enthralling, of course, but what lifts the movie above the picturesque if intellectually stunted posturing of such superficially similar projects as Koyaanisqatsi are the imaginative, witty and revealing links used to thread them all together. Fascinating.
Author: GA
Time Out Film Guide

antnield

#3 Post by antnield » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:08 pm

Just noticed that this will also be released as a "limited edition" upping the RRP by £5. My first thought was that Greenwood's soundtrack would be included as a bonus disc, except Amazon, Play, HMV et al are all listing this as having just the one disc...

antnield

#4 Post by antnield » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:44 pm

From the Amazon product description - and answering my own query as to the differences between the standard and limited editions...
Product Description
An epic vision of love, sex, violence and death, Bodysong is the story of our lives told through archive footage from across the world and spanning 100 years of cinema. With an ambitious score by Radiohead s Jonny Greenwood, director Simon Pummell has created an almost mythic document that is a celebration, and also indictment, of the human spirit.

Extra Features:

Two early shorts by Simon Pummell, Blinded by Light (2000) and How Long is a Minute? (2001)
A filmed interview of Simon Pummell
Theatrical Trailer
Commentary featuring Jonny Greenwood and Simon Pummell on the process of composing the score
The award-winning Bodysong website which provides the stories of the people portrayed in each of the extraordinary images.
This exclusive COLLECTORS EDITION comes with a 200 page accompanying book containing stills and a written history of the films development. Limited to 1000 copies.

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:18 pm

Full specs announced:
Bodysong
A film by Simon Pummell
Also released in a Limited Collectors Edition

An epic vision of love, sex, violence and death, Bodysong is the story of an archetypal human life told through archive footage from across the world, cut to music written and produced by Radiohead’s Jonny Greenwood.

In Bodysong, director Simon Pummell has created an almost mythic work that is a celebration, and also an indictment, of humanity.

This is the story of our lives, told through moving images from around the world. From newsreel to home movies, from births to deaths, footage taken from across the last 100 years of cinema is cut to an ambitious score by Jonny Greenwood.

The Limited Collectors Edition will contain a 200-page bound book of authoritative essays by Geoff Andrew, Matt Hansen, Gareth Evans and William Gibson, plus a wealth of information on, and stills from, each of the archive films used. The standard release contains an illustrated 32-page booklet of the above essays along with filmographies, biographies and credits.

Special features
• Two early shorts by Simon Pummell, Blinded by Light (2000) and How Long is a Minute? (2001)
• Filmed interview with Simon Pummell
• Theatrical trailer
• Commentary on the score by Jonny Greenwood and Simon Pummell
Bodysong website

Bodysong is both a theatrical film and an award-winning website which provides the stories of the people portrayed in each of the extraordinary images. The DVD disc contains the website which can be accessed through a computer DVD-ROM drive.

Release date: 22 March 2010
RRP: £19.99 / cat. no. BFIVD786 / cert 18
Limited Collectors Edition RRP: £24.99 / cat. no / BFIVD856
UK / 2003 / black & white and colour / English, optional feature subtitles / PCM stereo audio (48k/16bit) / 78 mins / DVD-9 / 1.78:1 (16x9 anamorphic)

JAP

#6 Post by JAP » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:50 pm

So, there won't be a Blu-Ray edition?

antnield

#7 Post by antnield » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:55 am

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:46 am

manicsounds

#9 Post by manicsounds » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:39 am

I thought I was too late to get the limited edition, but luckily, I got a shipping confirmation. I've been waiting so long to see this film, as I've had the CD for ages, but missed the opportunity of getting the previous DVD that's OOP now. I see that some etailers still have a Bluray listing up. Was that announced and cancelled?

manicsounds

#10 Post by manicsounds » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:37 am

BODYSONG won't play on my player! Ugh!

My Momitsu clone player is my main player, and when I insert the disc, it goes to the browser menu! (VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS etc...) and can't access anything through it.

On my old DVD player though, has no problem though...

Anyone else having problems like this?

Sent an email to BFI so I guess we will see. I hate that I'm probably going to have to re-hook up my old player to watch it. My BD player does have some problems with certain discs, saying "Read Error", "No Disc" etc on occasion, but never this.

lord patchogue

#11 Post by lord patchogue » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:28 pm

manicsounds wrote:BODYSONG won't play on my player! Ugh!

My Momitsu clone player is my main player, and when I insert the disc, it goes to the browser menu! (VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS etc...) and can't access anything through it.

Sent an email to BFI so I guess we will see. I hate that I'm probably going to have to re-hook up my old player to watch it. My BD player does have some problems with certain discs, saying "Read Error", "No Disc" etc on occasion, but never this.
It seems I have replicated the exact same problem, too. I have 'Momitsu bdp-899' and never has had problems with playing discs/bds from all around the world thus far. As manicsounds describes, it tries to navigate into the disc as though it's a disc consisted of pictures and avi files instead of playing the VIDEO_TS file right away.

PS: Having just navigated into the disc on my PC, I think DVD-ROM content would be the reason that confuses Momitsu. I noticed a subfolder called 'qt' has 3 very short quicktime movies (supposedly for the website content) in the disc. But I cannot think of any other DVD in my collection like this -with similar DVD-ROM features- to make it sure.

manicsounds

#12 Post by manicsounds » Sat May 01, 2010 8:57 am

lord patchogue wrote:
manicsounds wrote:BODYSONG won't play on my player! Ugh!

It seems I have replicated the exact same problem, too. I have 'Momitsu bdp-899' and never has had problems with playing discs/bds from all around the world thus far. As manicsounds describes, it tries to navigate into the disc as though it's a disc consisted of pictures and avi files instead of playing the VIDEO_TS file right away.

PS: Having just navigated into the disc on my PC, I think DVD-ROM content would be the reason that confuses Momitsu. I noticed a subfolder called 'qt' has 3 very short quicktime movies (supposedly for the website content) in the disc. But I cannot think of any other DVD in my collection like this -with similar DVD-ROM features- to make it sure.
Then please send an email to the BFI. I got a reply back and they said this is the first case they have heard about this.

Cash Flagg

#13 Post by Cash Flagg » Tue May 18, 2010 6:23 pm

Michael, any further news on a Blu-ray edition?