The Jacques Tati Collection

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

knives

Re: The Jacques Tati Collection

#126 Post by knives » Mon May 13, 2013 11:12 am

Hasn't that been oddly true of many of the doc sets BFI have put out. I remember a beer set (or something along those lines) was their second quickest run out of a first printing in their history or something like that.

zedz

#127 Post by zedz » Mon May 13, 2013 4:34 pm

I believe so, but I don't think it's odd at all. As Michael said, film buff numbers are dwarfed by those of train enthusiasts, people who drink in pubs, and probably morris dancers too!

knives

#128 Post by knives » Mon May 13, 2013 4:38 pm

I only put odd there because it flies in the face of conventional wisdom.

rattlebag

#129 Post by rattlebag » Wed May 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Mon Oncle has all but disappeared online but the BFI film store still has it.

http://filmstore.bfi.org.uk/acatalog/info_24502.html

tubal

#130 Post by tubal » Fri May 31, 2013 3:24 pm

rattlebag wrote:Mon Oncle has all but disappeared online but the BFI film store still has it.

http://filmstore.bfi.org.uk/acatalog/info_24502.html
Mine arrived this morning! Had given up hope of getting this.

Many thanks!

fatboyslim142

#131 Post by fatboyslim142 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Why wasn't Tati's Parade released on Blu-ray as it's the only one from the set that wasn't?

Forrest Taft

#132 Post by Forrest Taft » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:32 pm

It's shot on video, so there is no need for an upgrade.

MichaelB

#133 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:14 pm

1970s analogue PAL video at that. It won't look any better than the current DVD.

fatboyslim142

#134 Post by fatboyslim142 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:14 am

As the UK & French Tati Blu-ray boxset will be exactly the same when released in February, will the versions of the films be exactly the same as the BFI ones?

Here is a list off what the Studio Canal boxset will contain (translated from French Amazon as no info on UK one except when it's out)

Contains:
- Jour de fête (+ alternate version)
- Mr Hulot's Holiday (+ alternate version)
- My uncle (+ alternate version)
- Playtime
- Traffic
- Parade
- 1 booklet Jacques Tati
Restored films in high definition
Blu-ray 7 - Shorts:
"The school factors"
"Gay Sunday"
"Forza Bastia"
"We demand a brute"
"Wine house"
"Heal your left"

It seems Parade will come out on Blu-ray so should I get it on Blu or just go for the BFI DVD?

Also the Boxset seems to include 7 Tati shorts, so does this mean that the 2 (I think) Tati shorts missing (according to one of the BFI booklets) have been found?

Has the Original B&W 1949 version of Jour de Fete been released on DVD/BD anywhere?

neilist

#135 Post by neilist » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:52 am

fatboyslim142 wrote:It seems Parade will come out on Blu-ray so should I get it on Blu or just go for the BFI DVD?
As far as I can see, it says 7 discs, but doesn't specify that they're all blu-rays. It says 'Région B/2', implying there may be some DVD content and since it does say the short films are on a blu-ray, I wouldn't be suprised if 'Parade' remains DVD only in the set.

fatboyslim142

#136 Post by fatboyslim142 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:41 am

neilist wrote:
fatboyslim142 wrote:It seems Parade will come out on Blu-ray so should I get it on Blu or just go for the BFI DVD?
As far as I can see, it says 7 discs, but doesn't specify that they're all blu-rays. It says 'Région B/2', implying there may be some DVD content and since it does say the short films are on a blu-ray, I wouldn't be suprised if 'Parade' remains DVD only in the set.
There only appears to be a Blu-ray set scheduled for February in the UK whereas there's also a DVD set out in France in February at the same time as the Blu set so it looks like Parade will be on Blu.

zedz

#137 Post by zedz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:22 pm

There's nothing to stop anybody sticking Parade on a BluRay, but that isn't going to make it look any better than early analogue video, so it's not really an advantage. (Actually, it might just increase the risk that they do something unthinkable to the image to 'sharpen it up' for HD.)

MichaelB

#138 Post by MichaelB » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:06 pm

zedz wrote:There's nothing to stop anybody sticking Parade on a BluRay, but that isn't going to make it look any better than early analogue video, so it's not really an advantage. (Actually, it might just increase the risk that they do something unthinkable to the image to 'sharpen it up' for HD.)
There's a case for arguing that a massively increased bitrate might help facilitate the accurate reproduction of the original analogue videotape, but you're still talking 768x576 resolution - anything higher will be an upscale.

fatboyslim142

#139 Post by fatboyslim142 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:11 pm

MichaelB wrote:
zedz wrote:There's nothing to stop anybody sticking Parade on a BluRay, but that isn't going to make it look any better than early analogue video, so it's not really an advantage. (Actually, it might just increase the risk that they do something unthinkable to the image to 'sharpen it up' for HD.)
There's a case for arguing that a massively increased bitrate might help facilitate the accurate reproduction of the original analogue videotape, but you're still talking 768x576 resolution - anything higher will be an upscale.
Michael should I stick to the BFI DVD then?

Zot!

#140 Post by Zot! » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:04 pm

fatboyslim142 wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
As Michael and Zedz have pointed out, while there is a chance that a BD can allow a more definitive version of Parade, and even the upscaling could be preferable if it is done as part of the transfer, they may botch the whole thing and try to make it look more HD with some denoising. No way to know, either way, ahead of time. The takehome is that IF they improve on the existing transfer, it would be most likely infinitesimally.

Forrest Taft

#141 Post by Forrest Taft » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:11 am

fatboyslim142 wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
See also: his answer further up on this page
MichaelB wrote:1970s analogue PAL video at that. It won't look any better than the current DVD.

MichaelB

#142 Post by MichaelB » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:44 am

The bottom line is that nobody can answer this question on the basis of the information currently available. It might look better, it might look worse - the only certainty is that you won't get genuine 1080p quality out of it.

D50

#143 Post by D50 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:28 am

How can I tell if this is a pirate DVD set?

Did the 5 set DVD Jacques Tati Collection ever come without a booklet? I usually get oop DVDs from Amazon UK (I'm in the U.S.) but lately I've come across sellers that won't ship overseas to Nevada. So I hesitantly checked ebay and got this set for GBP 20.39.

The Jacques Tati Collection

The box was shrink wrapped (easy to fake, I know), the box looks legit (bar code BFIVD805, on top / title box side BFI logo top right, bottom left triangle U - rear side shows U stands for contains no material likely to offend or harm. The rear disc and set description makes no mention of a booklet. The ebay ad mentions the booklet. This OP mentions the booklet.

Each of the five discs have official looking sleeves, and holding the disc to the light at an angle upside down I can see long numerical sets and bar code like markings radiating from center outward - all near the center ring (on the back behind the cover art).

MichaelB

#144 Post by MichaelB » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

My copy definitely has a 24-page booklet included - I've just checked.

Sloper

#145 Post by Sloper » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:15 pm

Mine doesn't have a booklet - just got it the other day from Play.com (£15 including postage). Shrink wrapped, BFIVD805 etc. The 'U' is on the bottom right corner on the front and back, though. The Amazon description says, 'Fully illustrated colour booklets containing commissioned sleeve notes, essays and biographies.' Michael, when did you get your set?

D50

#146 Post by D50 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Sloper wrote:Mine doesn't have a booklet - just got it the other day from Play.com (£15 including postage). Shrink wrapped, BFIVD805 etc. The 'U' is on the bottom right corner on the front and back, though...
You are correct - I miss-typed - the U is on the bottom right corner.

I did run each disc through my multi-region player and ran through a couple of chapters, FF a few times - so all 5 discs have the film advertised on the disc art.

I sure miss CC when I have to sit through 30 seconds of security non-FF'able, non-chapter advance, non-skip to menu jail.

D50

#147 Post by D50 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:20 pm

Is there a Jacques Tati shorts DVD from BFI?

_

Thanks antnield... \/ \/ \/
Last edited by D50 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

antnield

#148 Post by antnield » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:44 am

D50 wrote:Is there a Jacques Tati shorts DVD from BFI?
Soigne ton gauche, L'ecole des facteurs and Cours du soir were all included on the dual-format release of Jour de fete, albeit only on the DVD part of that package.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#149 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Details of the Tati Collection from France :

http://www.dvdclassik.com/forum/viewtop ... start=1335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dvdclassik.com/forum/viewtop ... 8#p2368358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- "Jour de fête" version 1949 (DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono - N&B - 1.37 - 1080p - 87')
- "Jour de fête" version 1964 (DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono - N&B avec éléments colorisés - 1.37 - 1080p - 80')
- "Jour de fête" version 1994 (DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono - Couleur - 1.37 - 720p - 77')
- "Les vacances de Mr Hulot" version 1978 (DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono - N&B - 1.37 - 1080p - 89')
- "Les vacances de Mr Hulot" version 1953 (DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono - N&B - 1.37 - 720p - 95')
- "Mon oncle" (DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono - Couleur - 1.37 - 1080p - 116')
- "My Uncle" (DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono - Couleur - 1.37 - 1080p - 106')
- "Playtime" (DTS-HD MA 3.0 - Couleur - 1.78 - 1080p - 124')
- "Trafic" (DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono - Couleur - 1.37 - 1080p - 98')
- "Parade" (DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono - Couleur - 1.37 - 1080p - 90')

BONUS VIDÉO
Blu-ray 1 - Jour de fête
« À l’américaine » : film d’analyse de Stéphane Goudet (81’)
Bande-annonce originale
Blu-ray 2 - Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot
« Beau temps, vent léger » : film d’analyse de Stéphane Goudet (39’)
Blu-ray 3 - Mon oncle
« Tout communique » : film d’analyse de Stéphane Goudet (51’)
« Tout est beau » : film d’analyse de Stéphane Goudet (52’)
Blu-ray 4 - Playtime
Jacques Tati, invité de ABC Tempo (25’)
« Like Home » : film d’analyse de Stéphane Goudet (18’)
Séquences commentées par Jérôme Deschamps (12’) et Stéphane Goudet (12’)
Blu-ray 5 - Trafic
« Trafic International » : interview de Jonathan Romney, critique de cinéma (15’)
Blu-ray 6 - Parade
« En piste » : film d’analyse de Stéphane Goudet (29’)
Blu-ray 7 - Les courts métrages
Courts métrages restaurés (1.37 - HD 1080p) :
« On demande une brute » (1934 - N&B - 25’)
« Gai dimanche » (1935 - N&B - 22’)
« Soigne ton gauche » (1936 - N&B - 3’)
« L’école des facteurs » (1946 - N&B - 16’)
« Cours du soir » (1967 - Couleur - 29’)
« Dégustation maison » (1976 - Couleur - 14’)
« Forza Bastia » (1978 - Couleur - 28’)
« Les leçons du professeur Goudet » : analyse du cinéma de Jacques Tati par Stéphane Goudet et Simon Wallon-Brownstone (31’)

Jonathan S

#150 Post by Jonathan S » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:58 am

The highlights of the forthcoming StudioCanal set (discussion of which should perhaps be removed to a non-BFI thread) appear to be the two earliest shorts - On demande une brute will be new to me - and the original 1949 black & white release of Jour de fête. This apparently runs 10 minutes longer than the "restored" colour version that circulated in recent decades (I've always thought that looks awful, authentic colour or not). The set also presumably contains the French-language 1964 edit - which is how I first saw and owned the film in the UK - where as the BFI's Dual Format included an English-language 1964 version, I gather.

Incidentally a parallel DVD release of the StudioCanal set is scheduled for France but not the UK. According to the Amazon.fr specs, this will contain only one version of the first three features - and it's interesting they opted for the 1949 black & white Jour but the 1978 edition of Les vacances, presumably for quality reasons.