The Jacques Tati Collection

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

RossyG

Re: The Jacques Tati Collection

#151 Post by RossyG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:31 am

720p for the colour Jour de Fete and original Vacances????

Sloper

#152 Post by Sloper » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:25 am

D50 wrote:Did the 5 set DVD Jacques Tati Collection ever come without a booklet?... The rear disc and set description makes no mention of a booklet. The ebay ad mentions the booklet. This OP mentions the booklet.
For what it's worth, I emailed the BFI yesterday and got this explanation just now:

'Due to knowing that the rights were soon to expire and the fact that we had no more booklets available we took the decision that the last run we manufactured of the 5-disc Jacques Tati collection would be packaged without the booklet. We regret to say that due to the expiration of rights on these titles, no more booklets are available.'

A shame - but the guy who responded has been very helpful, so kudos to the BFI's customer service.

D50

#153 Post by D50 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:15 am

Sloper wrote:
D50 wrote:Did the 5 set DVD Jacques Tati Collection ever come without a booklet?... The rear disc and set description makes no mention of a booklet. The ebay ad mentions the booklet. This OP mentions the booklet.
For what it's worth, I emailed the BFI yesterday and got this explanation just now:

'Due to knowing that the rights were soon to expire and the fact that we had no more booklets available we took the decision that the last run we manufactured of the 5-disc Jacques Tati collection would be packaged without the booklet. We regret to say that due to the expiration of rights on these titles, no more booklets are available.'

A shame - but the guy who responded has been very helpful, so kudos to the BFI's customer service.
Thanks for posting your response. I'm surprised by this set. I recognized several English subtitle differences between the Playtime BFI disc and the CC (one where the lady's comeback is missing - when she's asked to see inside her purse during the beginning when she comes through the French "tsa"), and several Playtime supplements that I didn't remember being on the CC disc (it was a netflix CC disc, so maybe I only had disc 1?).

D50

#154 Post by D50 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:20 am

Jonathan S wrote:The highlights of the forthcoming StudioCanal set (discussion of which should perhaps be removed to a non-BFI thread) appear to be the two earliest shorts - On demande une brute will be new to me - and the original 1949 black & white release of Jour de fête. This apparently runs 10 minutes longer than the "restored" colour version that circulated in recent decades (I've always thought that looks awful, authentic colour or not). The set also presumably contains the French-language 1964 edit - which is how I first saw and owned the film in the UK - where as the BFI's Dual Format included an English-language 1964 version, I gather.

Incidentally a parallel DVD release of the StudioCanal set is scheduled for France but not the UK. According to the Amazon.fr specs, this will contain only one version of the first three features - and it's interesting they opted for the 1949 black & white Jour but the 1978 edition of Les vacances, presumably for quality reasons.
I'd love to see the b&w Jour de fête.

lol from variety's article:
1967′s “Play Time"
Les Films de Mon Oncle handles Gallic theatrical, festivals.

Perkins Cobb

#155 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:35 pm

D50 wrote: lol from variety's article:
1967′s “Play Time"
Les Films de Mon Oncle handles Gallic theatrical, festivals.
Along with being amazed that a "lol" has escaped Matt's notice for going on five hours now, I'm also not getting the source of the lols here.

D50

#156 Post by D50 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:26 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote: Along with being amazed that a "lol" has escaped Matt's notice for going on five hours now, I'm also not getting the source of the lols here.
ot - sorry, I do not feed trolls.

thanks Sloper.

PfR73

#157 Post by PfR73 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:15 am

He's not trolling. What exactly do you find funny about:

1967′s “Play Time"

?

And I mean the phrase or article, not the actual film. I know what's funny about that.

D50

#158 Post by D50 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:46 am

PfR73 wrote: He's not trolling. What exactly do you find funny about:

1967′s “Play Time"

?

And I mean the phrase or article, not the actual film. I know what's funny about that.
The correct title is one word. You'd think a trade publication would have gotten it right.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#159 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:49 am

PfR73

#160 Post by PfR73 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:46 am

Yeah, the onscreen title has the "T" in "Time" capitalized. I've always thought of it as 2 words.

whaleallright

#161 Post by whaleallright » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:13 pm

Kristin Thompson has been arguing for the Play Time orthography for a while. She notes that it gently highlights the two concepts that make up the compound word: "play" and "time." "Play" in its broadest sense is absolutely central to Tati's work, and among other things Play Time is an experiment in duration: an entire day and night passes without obvious ellipsis in the course of about two hours.

And of course, "playtime" is what Hulot (inadvertently?) creates when he makes hash of modern civilization's rationalized segmentation and apportionment of time (and space, but who wants to see a film called Play Space?)
Last edited by whaleallright on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D50

#162 Post by D50 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:17 pm

jonah.77 wrote:Kristin Thompson has been arguing for the Play Time orthography for a while. She notes that it gently highlights the two concepts that make up the compound word: "play" and "time." "Play" in its broadest sense is absolutely central to Tati's work, and among other things Play Time is an experiment in duration: an entire day and night passes without obvious ellipsis in the course of about two hours.
She sure does: John Ford and the CITIZEN KANE assumption. Anyway, thanks for referencing her, as her blog is very interesting (re: bookmarked).

Matt

#163 Post by Matt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:11 pm

And the title card itself has it as two distinct words.

D50

#164 Post by D50 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:49 pm

Matt wrote:And the title card itself has it as two distinct words.
To me, that could be PlayTime, or Play Time.

Gregory

The most important thing ever discussed on this forum

#165 Post by Gregory » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Looks like a pretty big space there if anyone really wanted it to be "PlayTime." And in the '60s, it would have been really strange to have a capital letter in the middle of a word like that. Virtually no one back then tried to pull any shit like "YouTube" and "DreamWorks."

D50

Re: The most important thing ever discussed on this forum

#166 Post by D50 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:08 pm

Gregory wrote:Looks like a pretty big space there if anyone really wanted it to be "PlayTime." And in the '60s, it would have been really strange to have a capital letter in the middle of a word like that. Virtually no one back then tried to pull any shit like "YouTube" and "DreamWorks."
Good point. Though most of the references to that title, transposed into descriptions, articles, reviews, has been Playtime, one word.

eta: found the previously mentioned Kristin Thompson's thoughts on the subject:

In the Modernist Mirror: Jacques Tati and the Parisian Landscape
Author(s): Lee Hilliker
Source: The French Review, Vol. 76, No. 2 (Dec., 2002), pp. 318-329

search (hit the binoculars) pdf for two words.

second paragraph of page 328.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

Re: The most important thing ever discussed on this forum

#167 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Gregory wrote:Looks like a pretty big space there if anyone really wanted it to be "PlayTime." And in the '60s, it would have been really strange to have a capital letter in the middle of a word like that. Virtually no one back then tried to pull any shit like "YouTube" and "DreamWorks."
Also Play is blue and Time is red.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#168 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Also, guys, it's Week End.

MichaelB

The Jacques Tati Collection

#169 Post by MichaelB » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:05 am

D50 wrote:
To me, it's unambiguously Play Time - obvious space between the two words, which are presented in different colours.

Let's face it, the only reason you're arguing that it's PlayTime (given that even you now recognise that Playtime is no longer tenable) is because you decided to go all Nelson Muntz at some poor Variety hack who was reporting in perfectly good faith. Even if it had been a mistake, it wouldn't have been as hee-larious as you originally made out - although I can certainly see a funny side to this now!

(Especially your recent attempt to come over all scholarly, as though the internal evidence of the film's own title card was either irrelevant or just an equivalent of "just one man's opinion".)

D50

#170 Post by D50 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:30 am

MichaelB wrote:
D50 wrote:
To me, it's unambiguously Play Time - obvious space between the two words, which are presented in different colours.

Let's face it, the only reason you're arguing that it's PlayTime (given that even you now recognise that Playtime is no longer tenable) is because you decided to go all Nelson Muntz at some poor Variety hack who was reporting in perfectly good faith. Even if it had been a mistake, it wouldn't have been as hee-larious as you originally made out - although I can certainly see a funny side to this now!

(Especially your recent attempt to come over all scholarly, as though the internal evidence of the film's own title card was either irrelevant or just an equivalent of "just one man's opinion".)
scholarly? now that's funny.

RossyG

#171 Post by RossyG » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:19 pm

PlayTime or Play Time?

I've pre-ordered this set from MovieMail.

Or is it Movie Mail?

Do I give a fuck either way?

No, I don't.

Play Time's a fabulous film, though.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#172 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:20 pm

RossyG wrote:No, I don't.
lol is "do not" rofl wat a dummie u r

RossyG

#173 Post by RossyG » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:39 pm

:D

Kauno

#174 Post by Kauno » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:17 pm

It's very hard. I am not a native English speaker; today English is perhaps my third or fourth language. But even so, I can see that especially Americans have it wrong all the time. For instance, Newsweek magazine was very poor in this respect.

whaleallright

#175 Post by whaleallright » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:04 pm

n/a
Last edited by whaleallright on Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.