Dissent & Disruption: Alan Clarke at the BBC

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Re: Dissent & Disruption: Alan Clarke at the BBC

#251 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:52 am

peerpee wrote:The bit budgets on the discs seemed to be changing daily. Those figures may not end up being accurate. I think it's pretty safe to say that nothing was done to "artificially inflate" the size of the set, it was for safety – to allow for more content to be added, which it was. Last week, I think it was 8x BD50s, but even that wasn't locked down.
I'd be amazed if the number of BD25/50s matched the announcement, given what's being included and the sheer volume of content that's been added at the last minute - they were still filming and recording material as recently as last month.

But the notion that the set is being "artificially inflated" by being deliberately and cynically presented on more discs than is necessary is ludicrous - why on earth would the BFI deliberately increase their per-item production costs if they didn't have to? Quite aside from anything else, this would allow more scope for things to go wrong - and I speak as someone who's co-ordinated quite a few multi-disc box sets in my time (my record being 11, which isn't far off this project). Also, I know Sam Dunn well, and the chances of him spending unnecessary funds on something Machiavellian like this when they can be diverted into on-disc content is zero - I imagine every single penny on this project has had to be watched like the proverbial hawk.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#252 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:19 pm

Around 50 hours of content and a 200-page book preordered for around £100 and we're questioning whether the BFI is trying to artificially inflate the value of the set?

EddieLarkin

#253 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:48 pm

Er, I made no comment on the value of the set, only the size of it. If indeed there are 9 BD25s in the set then that does mean there could have been 4 or 5 BD50s instead, making it smaller. I was simply curious as to why the BFI would go down this route and could only think of one reason. What I didn't consider is that the specs might be incorrect and that most of the discs will indeed be BD50s (I see now it could simply be a typo, and the make up could actually be 9 BD50s+2 BD25s, one of which will surely be Penda's Fen, its individual release explaining the use of a stray BD25). Either way, I have no bone to pick and would gladly pay the same price as I'm paying now for a set half this big.

Robin Davies

#254 Post by Robin Davies » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:53 pm

nosy lena wrote:
Robin Davies wrote:Which set did you order?
Dissent & Disruption: Alan Clarke at the BBC (1969 - 1989) (Limited Edition 13 disc Blu-ray Box Set)
I was just surprised you got it so cheaply.
The price I see on Amazon.co.uk is £109.99.
Do Americans get a discount? :wink:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#255 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:56 pm

Yes, the VAT drops it down in price once it's removed

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#256 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:57 pm

By a factor of about 0.83

nosy lena

#257 Post by nosy lena » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:07 pm

Without VAT the set is £91.66, so £18.33 cheaper.

MichaelB

#258 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:08 am

Specs announced for the standalone Penda's Fen release:
Penda’s Fen
A film by Alan Clarke
Written by David Rudkin
On Blu-ray & DVD

Originally shown on BBC1 in 1974 and rarely seen since, Penda's Fen has become the stuff of legend, its name invoking the spirit of a time when television had the power to provoke and astound.

Released for the very first time on Blu-ray and DVD on 23 May 2016 by the BFI, this astonishing work from Alan Clarke (Scum, Rita, Sue and Bob Too, The Firm) has been newly transferred in High Definition, and is presented with a newly created documentary featuring interviews with its writer David Rudkin and producer David Rose.

Exploring themes of personal and national identity, language, history and industrial progress, Penda’s Fen is an unclassifiable drama that boldly weaves its exquisite, fantastical imagery with the rousing music of Elgar to tell a tale of ancient legends and sexual awakening which stands as one of British television's greatest ever achievements.

Special features
• World premiere release
• Newly remastered in High Definition
The Landscape of Feelings: The Road to Penda's Fen (2016, 16 mins): new documentary on the making of Rudkin and Clarke's ground-breaking drama, featuring an interviews with writer David Rudkin and producer David Rose, as well as contributions from Clarke collaborators such as writer David Yallop, actor Sean Chapman and playwright David Leland
• Illustrated booklet with new writing by Sukhdev Sandhu and full credits

Blu-ray product details
RRP: £19.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1222 / Cert 12
UK / 1974 / colour / 89 mins / English, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.33:1 / BD25 / 25fps / 1080p/50i / LPCM 2.0 mono audio (48kHz/24-bit)

DVD product details
RRP: £19.99 / Cat. no. BFIV2070 / Cert 12
UK / 1974 / colour / 89 mins / English, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.33:1 / DVD9 / PAL / 25fps / Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio (320kbps)
Note that this is not the same disc as the one in the big Alan Clarke Blu-ray box - but the documentary is an extract from the massive Alan Clarke: Out Of His Own Light project, so the only unique material will be the credits at either end.

AidanKing

#259 Post by AidanKing » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:47 am

MichaelB wrote:Here's an excerpt from Made in Britain - which is not in the box, but it's the strongest Clarke clip I can find on YouTube.
I think that clip is a fantastic demonstration of Clarke's method. I like the fact that, within a clearly social realist milieu, there's quite a stylised approach to the delivery of (brilliant) dialogue, served by marvellous direction of actors' performances and precise editing that ratchets up the tension in the genuinely scary situation. I also love the way that the sympathy with the characters extends to the fact that Tim Roth's skinhead is presented as being intelligent and articulate enough to clearly express exactly what it is he's (probably correctly) angry about, even if his way of expressing that anger (swastika tattoo and all) is misguided. You can clearly see what Phil Davis was getting at in the radio interviews linked to earlier about Clarke's work being too strange to be regarded simply as social realism.

Loads of directors have been cited as being influenced by Clarke in this thread. I suspect the Dardennes might be too, as is particularly evident in the barrelling steadicam that races after Rosetta throughout the film that bears her name.

There is a great article by Michael B in the April issue of Sight and Sound, which I don't think is available online but is well worth reading if you can get hold of a copy as it is a really interesting look at the themes in Clarke's work and the style he uses to illuminate those themes. The article points out that Clarke is a genuine auteur in the sense of working in the equivalent of a studio system (British TV) with scripts by several writers but always making the work personal to him. I think that can be clearly seen in the clip from Made in Britain with the way David Leland's script is intensified superbly by the way Clarke chooses to direct it.

Arrow

Re: Dissent & Disruption: The Complete Alan Clarke at the BB

#260 Post by Arrow » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:12 am

MichaelB wrote:One upcoming example being Second Run's Horse Money, which was also shot at 25fps.

The BD is notionally 1080i50, but in practice there's not the tiniest trace of any interlacing and nor would I expect to see any under these circumstances.

They're fully aware that this will shut out many of their US customers, which is why it wasn't an easy decision to take, but since Cinema Guild is bringing out the film as well (presumably slowed down to 24fps), they decided that this was the best option.
Is it safe to say that if Horse Money played fine on my system, the Clarke set will as well?

MichaelB

#261 Post by MichaelB » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:47 am

Very safe.

Arrow

#262 Post by Arrow » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:41 pm

MichaelB wrote:Very safe.
Thanks, it's a relief I don't have to upgrade anything.

MichaelB

#263 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:31 am

Full specs announced for the separate edition of The Firm:
The Firm
A film by Alan Clarke
Special Collector’s Edition Blu-ray & DVD

Starring Gary Oldman

With Phil Davis and Lesley Manville

This unflinching drama from the controversial director of Scum explores the violent world of a football hooligan. Originally censored prior to its broadcast in 1989, The Firm has now been transferred in High Definition for the very first time, and is presented in two different versions, including a Director's Cut which finally restores previously unseen material. It will be released by the BFI on 23 May 2016 in a Special Collector’s Edition Blu-ray and DVD.

In The Firm, Bex Bissell (played, in a bravura performance, by Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy), wages bloody war against rival gangs to decide who will lead a national 'firm' into Europe to do battle on an international playing field.

Extensive extras include a newly recorded audio commentary with Gary Oldman, the High Definition premiere of director Alan Clarke's celebrated Elephant (1989) and a new documentary about the making of Elephant and The Firm.

Special features
• All films newly remastered in High Definition
The Firm (Director's Cut, 68 mins): painstakingly reconstructed from Clarke's personal workprint
• Optional audio commentary with Gary Oldman
The Firm (Broadcast version, 67 mins)
• Optional audio commentary with actors Lesley Manville, Phil Davis, author David Rolinson and the BFI's Dick Fiddy
Elephant (1989, 39 mins): Alan Clarke's sparse, shocking drama about The Troubles
• Optional audio commentary with producer Danny Boyle and critic Mark Kermode
• Alan Clarke interview (1989, 10 mins): the director discusses Elephant and The Firm
Alan Clarke: Out of His Own Light (2016, 36 mins): new documentary about the making of Clarke’s last films

Blu-ray product details
RRP: £19.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1221 / Cert 18
UK / 1989 / colour / English, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / 67 mins / original aspect ratio 1.33:1 / BD50 / 25fps / 1080p/50i / LPCM 2.0 mono audio (48kHz/24-bit)

DVD product details
RRP: £19.99 / Cat. no. BFIV2063 / Cert 18
UK / 1989 / colour / English, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / 67 mins / original aspect ratio 1.33:1 / DVD9 / PAL / 25fps / Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio (320kbps)

Jean-Luc Garbo

Re: Dissent & Disruption: The Complete Alan Clarke at the BB

#264 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:13 am

MichaelB wrote:The Alan Clarke DVDs will of course be PAL, and probably won't play on most US setups for the same reason - but computers with DVD drives should have no problem handling them (provided the region-locking isn't an issue).
I ordered the two volume DVD set hoping to get around that very issue. Why is it that a computer's DVD drive wouldn't have trouble playing those discs?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#265 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:07 am

The PAL/NTSC display isn't a problem on your computer monitor when using VLC et al. You'll still need to use VLC or equivalent program to watch the discs without switching the region coding on your computer

MichaelB

#266 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:08 am

Indeed - it's only an issue where televisions and DVD players are involved. And sometimes it's not even an issue then, but I'd assume unless confirmed otherwise that a US setup can't play PAL discs.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#267 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:45 pm

VLC is my default choice when watching any DVDs on my laptop so it's good to know this is one more option. I still haven't upgraded to a blu-ray drive for the laptop although this Clarke set is making me consider it.

Alan Clarke

#268 Post by Alan Clarke » Mon May 02, 2016 2:45 pm

I heard a nasty little rumour that this scrummy box set has been delayed?

If it has been delayed, I hope it's because they including Fast Hands in it..

peerpee
not perpee

#269 Post by peerpee » Wed May 04, 2016 11:37 am

Latest info is that the BD set will contain 10x BD50s, 1x BD25, and 2x DVD9s. Truly ramped!

MichaelB

#270 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 04, 2016 11:38 am

Alan Clarke wrote:I heard a nasty little rumour that this scrummy box set has been delayed?
My understanding is that it's by a week, which is pretty incredible considering how many last-minute additions there were.
If it has been delayed, I hope it's because they including Fast Hands in it..
They won't be - that's an ITV production, and this is an all-BBC set apart from the bonus Half-Hour Stories from Associated-Rediffusion.

I take it you're aware that Fast Hands is already available on DVD as part of Network's Plays for Britain collection?

Alan Clarke

#271 Post by Alan Clarke » Wed May 04, 2016 5:38 pm

MichaelB, hello there my friend.

What last min additions are there exactly?

I did not know that about Network's DVD release of Fast Hands. Thank you for informing me. I have ordered the set already. I hope that it is easy to find within the set. Is that the only Alan Clarke Play Of The Day on that set?

Also MichaelB, I understand that you know a lot about the ins and outs of the BFI system, is this set limited and if so, how limited is it?? I just don't want any nasty little surprises, you get me?

nosy lena

#272 Post by nosy lena » Thu May 05, 2016 12:21 am

BFI has updated release date to May 30th. Hopefully that's it.

MichaelB

#273 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 05, 2016 7:28 am

I don't think the BFI has revealed how many limited-edition Blu-ray sets they're producing, and suspect that initial presales will dictate the size of the print run.

Every other question posed in the last post but one has already been answered in this thread.

Alan Clarke

#274 Post by Alan Clarke » Thu May 05, 2016 11:32 am

MichaelB wrote:I don't think the BFI has revealed how many limited-edition Blu-ray sets they're producing, and suspect that initial presales will dictate the size of the print run.

Every other question posed in the last post but one has already been answered in this thread.
So essentially we are all good as long as we pre order?

I've noticed on the BFI website that they aren't listing 'Scum' anymore as a blu ray feature.

Here, have a look at the listed tv films: http://shop.bfi.org.uk/dissent-disrupti ... ytnFLQqjHg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like they have something else released in place of it, Under The Age, I think. As it's not in the original listing.

MichaelB

#275 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 05, 2016 1:20 pm

The 1979 feature film version of Scum was never part of this package - but the 1977 BBC version still very much is. I suspect that listing has got corrupted somehow, as there are unexplained blank lines between some of the titles.