It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: Hou Hsiao-hsien
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:43 am 

jindianajonz wrote:
Here's a cool souvenir I picked up in Taipei- the theater that Hou founded was selling this tote bag bundled with the 1995-2001 DVD Box Set

I'm in Taipei right now. Is this at The Spot Theater? Did they have more (and what was the price, if you don't mind staying)?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:19 pm 

I got mine at the Huashan SPOT, but I'm guessing either of the two theaters would carry it. I saw the same bundle at another DVD store as well, though I can't remember which- likely either the Eslite or one of the ones just outside the main station. I don't recall the price, but probably 1000-1500 NT- alongside the DVD set, it also included a couple postcards for the theater itself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:43 am 

Thank you for the info. I will go soon.

Also, thanks for the the name of the bookstores that sell DVDs. I have been trying to find DVDs with Mandarin tracks for my youngest daughter and have had little luck. The stores I bought from last time I was here 2 years ago no longer carry digital media. This'll give me a few places to try to find some animated/anime in Mandarin instead of having to go broke at YesAsia (which has sometimes sent me discs with Cantonese instead of Mandarin).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:06 pm 

wattsup32 wrote:
Thank you for the info. I will go soon.

Also, thanks for the the name of the bookstores that sell DVDs. I have been trying to find DVDs with Mandarin tracks for my youngest daughter and have had little luck. The stores I bought from last time I was here 2 years ago no longer carry digital media. This'll give me a few places to try to find some animated/anime in Mandarin instead of having to go broke at YesAsia (which has sometimes sent me discs with Cantonese instead of Mandarin).

The Eslite Dunnan store is their flagship store; the bottom floor has a great selection of DVDs. They are the Taipei equivalent to Barnes and Noble. And I think the one by the main station was 光南大批發 台北許昌店, or at least it looks pretty similar based on the pictures in Google Maps. It's located at No. 40, Xuchang Street, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City, Taiwan 100. You'll know it's the right place from the street; the rows of DVDs are very apparent.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:28 pm 

The bad news is that SPOT was completely sold out of the tote at all stores. The good news is I got the box set, the Terrorizers, and one more HH-h that I can't recall at the moment AND a free poster for spending over $2k.

Is there anything you (or anyone else) recommend I pick while here that I can't get in the states (keeping in mind it has to have English subs since I can't read or speak Mandarin)? I was hoping to get the Ghibli/MIyazaki blu-ray sets here to that they'll have a Mandarin language track for my daughter, but can't find them anywhere. I have also tried to find as much Satoshi Kon as I can, but have no luck there either. I found Tokyo Godfathers, but it has no English subs. Maybe I'll just get it anyway and deal with not knowing what's being said.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13