It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Sergei Parajanov
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:08 pm 

Two brief items:

Joshua First's book on Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors is indeed excellent. It is the most comprehensive account that I have seen of that film to date (including my own book on Parajanov). One thing that sets First's book apart is all of the research he did in Ukrainian archives. His extended close reading of the film is full of revealing details.

Second Sight has announced that they are releasing The Color of Pomegranates on Blu. It will be an essential purchase, I am sure. (They will reveal more details in due time.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm 

One more item to follow up on an earlier post from 2015:
jsteffe wrote:
If you live in the L.A. area, the Hammer Museum at UCLA will be screening the restored version of The Color of Pomegranates on December 15 at the Billy Wilder Theater. I will be there for a Q&A together with the filmmaker Carla Garapedian. More details here.

The link contains an archived video of the Q&A session, if you are interested.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:57 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Thanks for the link to the video, James! Hopefully we see more of your participation in these forthcoming releases

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:10 am 

I'm thrilled about the Second Sight news, not least because they were the only label who did the film proper justice on DVD - and I assume all their superb extras will automatically be ported across.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:50 pm 

If you live in the Atlanta area, Emory University will be screening the restoration of The Color of Pomegranates on DCP on October 12. I will be introducing it. More details soon...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:36 pm 

We're still in the process of getting the publicity up, but in the meantime here is a Facebook event page for the upcoming screening of The Color of Pomegranates in Atlanta.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:30 pm 

I finally watched the new restoration of Sayat Nova (thanks Filmstruck!) and I was struck by a few things: first, the restoration is a huge improvement and I'd highly recommend watching it if you haven't.

Also, James: there's some spoken Turkish at around 29:45 of the film. It's not subtitled, and I'm pretty sure it's the only bit of Turkish in the film. Do you know what it's doing there? Also, I think what he's holding in that scene is in Ottoman Turkish (but I'm not sure). Do you know if this has been translated or transcribed by anyone, and why it's not included in the subtitles? Just curious. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:36 pm 

Mica Levi, Francesca Levi, and Wrangler will perform a re-imagining of The Colour of Pomegranates in Glasgow on February 28th

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:36 pm 

durkheim wrote:
I finally watched the new restoration of Sayat Nova (thanks Filmstruck!) and I was struck by a few things: first, the restoration is a huge improvement and I'd highly recommend watching it if you haven't.

Also, James: there's some spoken Turkish at around 29:45 of the film. It's not subtitled, and I'm pretty sure it's the only bit of Turkish in the film. Do you know what it's doing there? Also, I think what he's holding in that scene is in Ottoman Turkish (but I'm not sure). Do you know if this has been translated or transcribed by anyone, and why it's not included in the subtitles? Just curious. Thanks.

durkheim, I apologize for never replying. I've been busy the past couple of of months and haven't been following this thread. Among other things, I worked on multiple features for the upcoming UK Blu-ray release for the THE COLOR OF POMEGRANATES / SAYAT-NOVA by Second Sight. I have to say that the disc's producer, Daniel Bird, is putting together a fantastic package. I am proud to have had the opportunity to contribute to it.

Yes... the audio is a Turkic language, most likely Azeri Turkic, and the sewn inscription matches it, as far as I know. It's the same sentence repeated in Armenian, Georgian and Azeri: "You abandoned us and went away, but we the living wrapped you in a cocoon, so that in your new world you would burst forth like a butterfly." Parajanov did this because Sayat-Nova wrote poems in all three languages.

I agree that the new restoration turned out well, though I and some other people have noticed that the audio does not completely match the original Armenian version in a few places, and the drumming is messed up at around 33:55. From what I understand the audio is getting fixed as much as feasible for the home video releases of the restoration. I suspect that the image will look sharper on Blu-ray too, though the FilmStruck streaming version looks fine and it's nice that they made it available already for people to look at.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:38 pm 

Calvin wrote:

I'm curious to hear how this turns out! If anyone manages to see it, please post something here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:22 am 

Besides Andriesh, does any of Parajanov’s work what he did in the 1950s survive?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:38 am 

I think all the features do, but they're much more conventional than what came later.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:08 am 

Yes--only his diploma film, A MOLDAVIAN FAIRY TALE (1951), is lost. It was based on the same story as ANDRIESH, but apparently title role of the shepherd boy was performed by a puppet.

The scholar Garegin Zakoyan also mentions a missing short entitled CHILDREN - TO KOMITAS, but I haven't found any other mention of it.

Aside from that, his entire filmography survives and is available through various sources.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:06 pm 

MichaelB wrote:
I think all the features do, but they're much more conventional than what came later.

jsteffe wrote:
Yes--only his diploma film, A MOLDAVIAN FAIRY TALE (1951), is lost. It was based on the same story as ANDRIESH, but apparently title role of the shepherd boy was performed by a puppet.

The scholar Garegin Zakoyan also mentions a missing short entitled CHILDREN - TO KOMITAS, but I haven't found any other mention of it.

Aside from that, his entire filmography survives and is available through various sources.

Thank you both! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7