Nicholas Ray

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

MichaelB

Re: Nicholas Ray

#26 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:44 am

Many thanks to Finally for recovering the original post - I've just put it back where it belongs, and edited it out of yours.

Which of course means that anyone coming to this thread for the first time won't have a clue what we're talking about...

Jonathan S

#27 Post by Jonathan S » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:27 am

MichaelB wrote:anyone coming to this thread for the first time won't have a clue what we're talking about...
To return it to Nicholas Ray, how about: Knock on any door - and you'll find Orbit Media...
finally wrote:I just looked at all the 'Cornerstone Media' titles on Amazon and I can say that nearly every one of them I can see is an Orbit Media title.

david hare

#28 Post by david hare » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:22 pm

My brain is probably disintegrating but I could swear someone posted a headsup on Wild Side France releasing a Wind Across the Everglades/Lusty Men duo early next year. Can anyone confirm? I am about to receive a copy of Everglades from a legit source which has been desrbied as "looking good, like Technicolor" and presumably in correct WS ratio so I will report when I get it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:30 pm

You're not crazy (well, about this at least), it's in another Nic Ray thread

otis

#30 Post by otis » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:22 am

The someone was me, David. Scroll down here. But it says they'll be released 2010/2011, so it could still be a long wait.

david hare

#31 Post by david hare » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:31 am

Fangs all.

Handsome Dan

#32 Post by Handsome Dan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:46 pm

DVR'd Party Girl from TCM the other night and finally caught up with it yesterday. It's not quite Johnny Guitar or anything, but it had enough of the usual Ray virtues for a fun night in. Stuff like Guys and Dolls and Some Like It Hot must have instilled some expectation in me that '30s gangsters in '50s movies are all buffoonish, lunkheaded comic relief, because I was actually surprised at how violent and scary Lee J. Cobb and John Ireland & co. were here, particularly
SpoilerShow
all that business with the acid, as well as the scene of Cobb beating the guy with the silver pool cue, which seems to have inspired some similar business in '87 Untouchables).

Biggest shock of the movie comes early on, though, when
SpoilerShow
Cyd Charisse discovers her roommate's body in the bloody tub! I actually jumped at this a bit; I can only imagine how this played on a giant screen to a 1958 audience unaccustomed to extremes in cinematic gruesomeness.
It's kind of a violent, shocking movie in general, with more "BOO!"s than I'm used to from films of this era. It must have seemed to be in very bad taste at the time.

Charisse's two dance numbers were swell, though they felt sort of shoehorned in - "Cyd Charisse is here, I guess we may as well let her dance for a scene or two." They certainly weren't important to the story in and of themselves, and I didn't get the sense that they expressed anything about the character or made any kind of hay about the movie's theme or anything. But, eh, as obligatory scenes go, not bad.

It's general stylistic stuff that seems to have stuck with me more than the plot, though. It was fun to see the usual sprawling use of the wide format; even for a movie with so many interior scenes of just two people talking, Ray found inventive ways to move the actors around the frame. Charisse's outrageously red costumes were great as well (especially near the end when she was on the train "to the coast", where you'd think she wouldn't want to be noticed!). I love the '50s color palette, and it seems like Ray did as well; again, I can only imagine what this looked like when first projected from a new print in a large format.

I may pick up the Warner Archives disc of this if it's not a total disaster. Is it at least a measurable improvement over the VHS copies that are likely floating around in junk shops across the US?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#33 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:22 pm

There's a (French? Spanish? I can't remember, it's in storage) R2 release that is surely the exact same master, only on a real DVD. Get it instead

david hare

#34 Post by david hare » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:33 am

Warner France - the French title is Traquenard.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#35 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:49 am

Knock On Any Door is coming out March 29 in R2 =D>

souvenir

#36 Post by souvenir » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:07 am

domino harvey wrote:Knock On Any Door is coming out March 29 in R2 =D>
Assuming you mean the one listed at Amazon UK, it looks like the same edition that's been discussed for half of this thread.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#37 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:19 am

Oops, I didn't realize it had been delayed so heavily

tojoed

#38 Post by tojoed » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am

It hasn't been delayed, I've seen it in HMV for about a month now. I don't think I'm going to get it though.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#39 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:26 am

So I finished my biblical marathon with King of Kings today and I thought it had its share of interesting choices. I liked how Ray handled the Salome subplot, playing up the sexual undertones of Wilde's play even if Hollywood would never have let the audience see her take it to its conclusion by laying a wet one on Robert Ryan's decapitated head! The film has a skeptic's focus, which generally works, but I did resent the way Ray set up the Last Supper as a proto-Manson Family cult meeting. Jeffrey Hunter is mostly creepy as Jesus but Rip Torn is pretty much the perfect Judas. Loved the shot with the camera attached to the crucifix!

Lemmy Caution

#40 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:59 pm

NYTimes article on Ray.
an unfinished experimental movie, “We Can’t Go Home Again,” to which Ray devoted the last years of his life.
Now a new finished print of the film is being prepared by Ray’s widow, Susan, for a premiere at the Venice International Film Festival next year to celebrate the centenary of her husband’s birth.

matrixschmatrix

#41 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:NYTimes article on Ray.
an unfinished experimental movie, “We Can’t Go Home Again,” to which Ray devoted the last years of his life.
Now a new finished print of the film is being prepared by Ray’s widow, Susan, for a premiere at the Venice International Film Festival next year to celebrate the centenary of her husband’s birth.
Damn, that's exciting!

I don't know much about Susan Ray- should we be worried that this is exploitation, or confident she was acting with respect for his memory?

montgomery

#42 Post by montgomery » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:13 pm

I think we should just assume that the bitch will exploit her wonderful, perfect, genius dead husband, like all women do.

matrixschmatrix

#43 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:25 pm

montgomery wrote:I think we should just assume that the bitch will exploit her wonderful, perfect, genius dead husband, like all women do.
Uh... it's more that I get sort of wary when someone else finishes a dead person's work? Not real clear on where the misogyny is there.

edit: I should clarify, I'm not worried because she's a woman, or because of some idea that she was a Great Man's wife and therefore a leech or whatever, that would be stupid. Just wary after the history of sort of weird rumors about rights issues with family estates like Chaplin and Welles, and wondering if anyone knew if there was anything like that here.

montgomery

#44 Post by montgomery » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:44 pm

Sorry, my response was needlessly aggressive, but I do think the premise of your question was vaguely misogynistic, or at least cynical. I would just assume that she has the best of intentions; it was her husband after all. And though you may not know much about her, she seems sincere and intelligent in the article - not the Anna Nicole Smith type. Of course, who the hell really knows? Whether the finished product is great or horrible, and whether it's her fault or not, we can never really know - but there's no reason to assume, based on the article, that she's exploiting him. (I've seen her interviewed on Criterion discs, and she's also in Lightning Over Water, and she does not seem to be an evil, manipulative spouse. I don't know, maybe she hated his guts, but I won't assume anything bad unless and until there's a reason).

Tom Amolad

#45 Post by Tom Amolad » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:06 pm

And it's not exactly the sort of project that's going to make her rich...

matrixschmatrix

#46 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:13 pm

montgomery wrote:Sorry, my response was needlessly aggressive, but I do think the premise of your question was vaguely misogynistic, or at least cynical. I would just assume that she has the best of intentions; it was her husband after all. And though you may not know much about her, she seems sincere and intelligent in the article - not the Anna Nicole Smith type. Of course, who the hell really knows? Whether the finished product is great or horrible, and whether it's her fault or not, we can never really know - but there's no reason to assume, based on the article, that she's exploiting him. (I've seen her interviewed on Criterion discs, and she's also in Lightning Over Water, and she does not seem to be an evil, manipulative spouse. I don't know, maybe she hated his guts, but I won't assume anything bad unless and until there's a reason).
I think 'cynical' is the word- the only thing I've seen of her outside that article is the interview on Bigger than Life, and she came off as intelligent and engaged in Ray's work, but this is exciting enough that I wanted to temper my enthusiasm.

Mostly, I was just wondering if she had a track record in any particular direction, but 'nothing bad' is good enough for me!

Peacock

#47 Post by Peacock » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:09 pm

She edited I was Interrupted : Nicholas Ray on Making Movies - a collection of interviews, writings and lectures by Ray. I don't think she's being exploitative at all.

HarryLong

#48 Post by HarryLong » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:37 am

A friend of mine scraped by between real jobs by doing apartment & office cleaning for a temp agency. One of the apartments he was assigned to was Susan Ray's. The impression he conveyed to me was tht she was totally devoted to the memory/career of her late husband. Yeah, she might see some bucks from this, but not exactly a lot of them (Ray or no Ray, it's still a documentary). I don't think we have a Beatrice Welles or Monroe Estate situation here.

Cold Bishop

#49 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:01 pm

An interesting bit of news from TCM's October 25th schedule
11:00 PM
We Can't Go Home Again (1976)
Dir: Nicholas Ray
BW-0 mins,

1:00 AM
Making of We Can't Go Home Again (2011)
BW-0 mins,

htshell

#50 Post by htshell » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:55 pm

We Can't Go Home Again is set to play as part of the New York Film Festival in October.