M. Night Shyamalan

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

Jeff

Re: M. Night Shyamalan

#76 Post by Jeff » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:15 pm

domino harvey wrote:Shyamalan self-funded and shot a film in secret
I am totally supportive of the idea of Shyamalan spending his own money to make his movies and not telling anyone about them.

colinr0380

#77 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:13 am

Ah, the Vincent Gallo method!

Jeff

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#78 Post by Jeff » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:42 pm

M. Night Shyamalan's There's Something Wrong with Nana and Pop Pop... er, The Visit.

mfunk9786

#79 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:56 pm

An M. Night Shyamalan movie looks really good? What year is this?

How rude!

#80 Post by How rude! » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:01 am

mfunk9786 wrote:An M. Night Shyamalan movie looks really good? What year is this?
what? Lazy, 'what the kids' dig' hand-held cam?

You mean the latest, 'desperate attempt a a comback hit' unpolished turd from a one trick pony.

Methinksnot

D50

#81 Post by D50 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:11 am

They're just old.

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

#82 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:44 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:An M. Night Shyamalan movie looks really good? What year is this?
There was one shot in that that was genuinely unsettling.

Had a mixed reaction to the rest. Could be either terrifying or silly.

mfunk9786

#83 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:57 pm

If it's a little bit of both, it'll be more original than most of the found footage stuff being released at this point. I'm cautiously optimistic, and I've hated everything he's done post-Signs.

chatterjees

#84 Post by chatterjees » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:34 pm

The concept is very unique. I surely hope that the film turns out well. I kind of forgot about the existence of Shyamalan after he broke my heart in the last 15 minutes of The Village. I am excited.

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

#85 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:52 pm

Seems obvious he's going for a modern fairy tale thing again, only one that's more displaced than, say, Lady in the Water, and uses the tropes of realism. I mean, he has a crone lure a kid into an oven, for christ's sake. Not that one ought to expect subtlety from him.

colinr0380

#86 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:43 am

The trailer with all of its characters darting about corridors and jump scares reminds me a little of that great Twilight Zone episode, Gramma.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#87 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 16, 2015 10:22 am

Do you think there will ever be a time when Shyamalan's name comes up in a trailer and there won't be some guy in the theatre audience who thinks it's funny to yell out some variation of "Oh no" in response? We're approaching "Freebird" levels at this juncture

jbeall

#88 Post by jbeall » Mon May 18, 2015 10:59 pm

The Epic Losing Streak of M. Night Shyamalan, Explained (Not a great piece, though the bit about the sycophant sportswriter following him around during Lady in the Water explains a lot, indeed.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#89 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:34 pm

So, the Visit doesn't quite work, but it's a noble failure. The child actors are quite good and Shyamalan uses the found footage format to his benefit in justifying his hatred of coverage, but there are some fundamental problems with the picture that aren't able to be overcome by any of its pluses.
SpoilerShow
It probably took less than ten minutes to figure out that the grandparents were impostors because Shyamalan can't resist laying on the little details which add up far too quickly and so he blows any chance of mystery fairly early on. But the bigger problem here is that nothing is less interesting than characters whose primary attribute is their literal insanity, and so we are stuck for far too long with two doddering old folks who are obviously nutso and the film thinks it's playing with the idea that people demonize and compartmentalize and explain away these quirks as being symptomatic of old age, but since it's obvious that they're insane frauds from the get-go, none of that lands.

Bumstead

#90 Post by Bumstead » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:34 pm

For all the ignominy that Shyamalan suffered (brought on, rightfully, by his own megalomania), recent efforts show that he is finally embracing his limitations. I was one of his last remaining apologists...until THE HAPPENING. But awful disaster and his painfully embarrassing book "The Man Who Heard Voices" finally tipped me over the edge. Reading it, however, was useful. It gave me an insight into how his mind works: for example, Night likened himself to a sportsman (Michael Jordan was mentioned at least dozen times) who must always stay in the game, no matter how hard the game got. The key word being 'hustle'. Although Shyamalan will never make another UNBREAKABLE (or THE VILLAGE, hugely underrated IMHO), looks like he's back. And honestly, good for him.

Harry Caul

#91 Post by Harry Caul » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:13 am

I've liked many of M. Night's films, but not all of them. Some are great, and some have been terrible. However, obviously he's making money off of his films - since, he's been coming out with movies on a regular basis for years.

The Sixth Sense was a true masterpiece, in every sense of the word. The first time I saw this years ago, I truly didn't know that the BW character was dead - until the "reveal" at the end. And, I liked how this was set up - so that on a second viewing, you can completely "get" what was going on here. Extremely disturbing & sad film; the theme of coming to terms with the death/loss of a loved one was very poignant.

I wasn't a big fan of Unbreakable when I saw this in the theater back in Fall 2000; however, on subsequent viewings I've learned to appreciate what Shyamalan was trying to do here. He made a "super-hero" film without a lot of flashy effects - it was more of a psychological character study & wasn't meant to be a film with a lot of action, etc.

Lady in the Water was decent, and not nearly as bad as everyone made this out to be. The storyline kept my interest throughout, and I thought the "effects" of the creatures in the grass were decent. As with other Shyamalan films, I appreciated the film more the 2nd/3rd time I saw this.

The Happening was a big, steaming P.O.S. The less said about that film, the better.

I was not impressed with The Visit; interesting concept, but I didn't like the "twist" at the end.
SpoilerShow
I was halfway expecting the elderly imposter grandparents to be aliens, but having them just be escapees from an old age home/mental institution was a boring "reveal".
I am really looking forward to seeing Split - based on all of the positive buzz/trailer & the concept, I have a strong feeling this is an incredible film.