John Waters

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Lino

#101 Post by Lino » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:24 pm

Anyone? Please?

Antoine Doinel

#102 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:45 am

Details interviews John Waters.

Antoine Doinel

#103 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu May 08, 2008 11:14 pm

Johnny Knoxville's casting is confirmed and Parker Posey has joined the cast.

Lino

#104 Post by Lino » Sat May 10, 2008 4:07 pm

Much more interesting than the fact of Ms. Posey being part of the cast, is the rest of the news, which I quote:
The plot is officially under wraps but is said to center on the title character, a boy named after his favorite dessert. He runs away from home during the holidays after he and his parents are caught shoplifting meat, then meets up with a runaway girl raised by two gay men and searching for her birth mother.

This Is That Prods. and Killer Films are producing "Fruitcake," which once was set up at New Line. ThinkFilm is said to be in talks to come aboard.
This one sounds really wild! And a bit of a shame that New Line is no longer producing it. Let's only hope that the new producers do not mess up with the movie.

miless

#105 Post by miless » Sat May 10, 2008 5:18 pm

Lino wrote:This one sounds really wild! And a bit of a shame that New Line is no longer producing it. Let's only hope that the new producers do not mess up with the movie.
This is That and Killer Films both produced A Dirty Shame, so there really shouldn't be any worries about them interfering with the results (seeming as how Waters was under contract to make an R rated film and the production companies all ended up backing the NC-17 rated results)

Fletch F. Fletch

#106 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:19 pm

Antoine Doinel

Re: Fruitcake (John Waters, 200?)

#107 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:50 am

The film has been scrapped.

knives

#108 Post by knives » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:54 am

Well that sucks, maybe he'll get money elsewhere?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#109 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:58 am

Given his Christmas fixation, this not taking off must really have killed Waters

Antoine Doinel

#110 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:04 pm

These days I think John Waters is a better film critic than filmmaker. I vote him to replace Ben Lyons.

knives

#111 Post by knives » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:08 pm

Well he never tried to be a good director (which I always thought made him a tad critic proof), but yeah I do prefer the other things he's been balancing around.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#112 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:33 pm

I've always felt he only made movies so he could have an excuse to go around talk shows and be John Waters. I much prefer the man himself as a personality to his films

Michael

#113 Post by Michael » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:49 pm

domino harvey wrote:I've always felt he only made movies so he could have an excuse to go around talk shows and be John Waters. I much prefer the man himself as a personality to his films
It's obvious that you never saw Female Trouble.

luridedith

Re: John Waters

#114 Post by luridedith » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:18 am

Yeah, Female Trouble is probably his greatest (at least his funniest and most immediate) but my personal favourite is still Desperate Living. I just adore its grotesque fairy tale feel and the costumes and sets are amazingly inventive considering the extremely low budget. His early trash films have the best scripts and although poor from a technical perspective, they all have a distinctive, consistent aesthetic (glitter and grime) that make them visually much more interesting than other b-movies of the same era.

Michael

#115 Post by Michael » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:25 am

Very right on, luridedith. I think when Divine died, John Waters lost half of himself. His last great film is Hairspray.

Lino

#116 Post by Lino » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:07 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:The film has been scrapped.
Jesus, even Johnny Knoxville's being in it didn't help. This can't be happening. I really hope things turn around for him, though. Fruitcake is a movie that begs to be made.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#117 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:52 am

Saw John Waters speak tonight in Los Angeles on a small tour promoting his book. He said he's still trying to get Fruitcake made, but studios think it's too risque for it to be considered a children's film. He said the ideas and morals of the film are family friendly and that small things got under the studio's skin.

He did a fairly good job of describing the plot that's been kept secret. The film was about what he called a family of "meatmen". He went on to describe that meatmen were people who would take your meat order at your door, steal it at a super market and then charge you half price. Well, apparently the boy of the family gets caught and runs away from society where he meets up with a black girl who runs away from her two white lesbian parents after they try to force her to celebrate Kwanza. He mentioned that at that point, the film was going to be about a bunch of runaways getting together and forming a sort of family during Christmas. It was suppose to be part musical and that there was a girl in a wheelchair who's name was suppose to rhyme with paraplegic. It was Tara something. I forgot exactly. He says the dream of making that film is starting to fade though and that he's been writing an other film in the mean time.

matrixschmatrix

#118 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:00 am

Damn, I wish he could get that made- I think the latter part of Waters' career, Crybaby and Pecker and Hairspray most notably, is characterized by being sort of a beautiful, Bizzaro, alterity friendly version of the kind of Disney movies that used to star Haley Mills or whatever- fundamentally kid friendly and sort of harmless, while being bright and lots of fun. I think a world in which kids movies all looked more like Pecker would be a nicer one.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#119 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:01 am

John Waters' always entertaining Top Ten films of the year
1 Domain (Patric Chiha) My favorite movie of the year. A forty-year-old alcoholic aunt (played by Béatrice Dalle—“Betty Blue” herself!) and her gayish teenage nephew form a perversely close relationship by taking walks together. Lots of walks! So many walks you’ll be left breathless by the sheer elegance of this astonishing little workout.
2 Enter the Void (Gaspar Noé) The best film ever about taking hallucinogenic drugs. Seizure-inducing title credits, cinematography that looks as if it were shot by a Gerhard Richter–influenced kamikaze pilot—even vagina cams. Gaspar, thank you. You’re my sweetheart.
3 Buried (Rodrigo Cortés) The most excruciatingly painful date movie imaginable comes complete with a very smart feel-bad ending. See it with someone you hate.
4 Ricky (François Ozon) A great special-effects movie, though there’s only one effect: a flying baby. If David Lynch and David Cronenberg had sex and one of them magically got pregnant, this film could be their offspring.
5 Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work (Ricki Stern and Annie Sundberg) Talk about granting access! Are you crazy, Joan?! If Jews went to confession, this film would be a sacrament.
6 Jackass 3D (Jeff Tremaine) A scatological, gay, s/m, borderline snuff movie amazingly embraced by a wide, American blue-collar family audience. Isn’t Steve-O chugging down a glass of sweat collected from the ass-crack of an obese man and then vomiting at you in 3-D the purest moment of raw cinema anarchy this year?
7 Life During Wartime (Todd Solondz) Paul Reubens (without a trace of Pee-Wee) is a suicidal ghost who’s still miserable, and Charlotte Rampling plays a bitter, self-loathing hotel hornball. Both performances will break your heart.
8 Dogtooth (Yorgos Lanthimos) If your parents raised you into your teen years without ever once letting you out of the house and taught you that “outside” means climbing in the trunk of the family car and locking yourself in, are you in mental trouble? Hilarious, original, and very discomfiting, the way movies should be.
9 Carlos (Olivier Assayas) I loved all five-plus hours of this French hymn to celebrity revolutionary–turned-mercenary Carlos the Jackal. He’s so sexy that even militant, left-wing German feminist terrorists give him head and his own hostages ask for his autograph.
10 Mesrine (Parts 1 and 2) (Jean-François Richet) Four and a half more hours about another French criminal–folk hero–stud. Who’s badder? More butch? Cuter nude? Carlos or Jacques Mesrine? Why not a subtitled ten-hour “Freddy vs. Jason” combined sequel about both? In Sensurround, s’il vous plaît.

Oedipax

#120 Post by Oedipax » Wed May 16, 2012 6:21 pm

If you happen to be passing through Ohio, you might just be able to give John Waters a ride.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#121 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:42 pm

As neat as that is, it makes me a little concerned. I mean, what the fuck is he doing?

antnield

#122 Post by antnield » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:02 am

Uthamon_Thumo

#123 Post by Uthamon_Thumo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:55 pm

Is there any possibility to find John Waters' first three movies? Or at least 'Hag in a black leather jacket'? I'd like watch his entire filmography, but it seems to be impossible to find those films.

Matt

#124 Post by Matt » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:06 pm

You can't get them legally, if that's what you're asking. He never officially distributed them on video, and he has now suppressed them as embarrassing juvenilia and because he can't afford to clear the music rights.

antnield

#125 Post by antnield » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:48 pm

John Waters' Top Ten of 2013

1. Spring Breakers
2. Camile Claudel 1915
3. Abuse Of Weakness
4. Hors Satan
5. After Tiller
6. Hannah Arendt
7. Beyond The Hills
8. Blue Jasmine