Roberto Rossellini

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

swo17

Re: Roberto Rossellini

#76 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:16 am

tag gallagher wrote:Jean-Luc Godard wrote: "India is the creation of the world."

The French version of Rossellini's India Matri Bhumi came first, with superior text but identical video as the later Italian version -- until the Italians "restored" it by chopping off the last two minutes plus various shots inside, and then disguising this and, when pressed, blaming it on Rossellini. A lie! It ought to be a scandal, but no one gives a damn, particularly Criterion which keeps streaming the aborted Italian version on MUBI. I have "restored" both versions completey, restoring the color as best I can, shot by shot, and providing separate subtitles for each version. Here is an mkv of the French version, with subtitles:

https://1fichier.com/?sbajt7ze81

And here is a vid I made about the movie: https://1fichier.com/?5iqiz0rznr
Oh wow, thanks for your efforts!

hearthesilence

#77 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:44 am

tag gallagher wrote:Jean-Luc Godard wrote: "India is the creation of the world."

The French version of Rossellini's India Matri Bhumi came first, with superior text but identical video as the later Italian version -- until the Italians "restored" it by chopping off the last two minutes plus various shots inside, and then disguising this and, when pressed, blaming it on Rossellini. A lie! It ought to be a scandal, but no one gives a damn, particularly Criterion which keeps streaming the aborted Italian version on MUBI. I have "restored" both versions completey, restoring the color as best I can, shot by shot, and providing separate subtitles for each version. Here is an mkv of the French version, with subtitles:

https://1fichier.com/?sbajt7ze81

And here is a vid I made about the movie: https://1fichier.com/?5iqiz0rznr
DAMN. Thanks Tag!

TMDaines

#78 Post by TMDaines » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:13 am

Tag, did you have an MKV of your restoration with both French and Italian audio tracks? I believe on Cinematik is a DVD version of your work that has both tracks?

tag gallagher

#79 Post by tag gallagher » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:55 am

Yes, my posting at Cinematik has both the French and Italian audio, with separate subtitles for each.
I made the mkv of just the French version in order to have a small file (1gb) to circulate here, at kg, and, ideally, everywhere in the whole world.
Except for those who understand Italian (and prefer it to French), I think the Italian version is superfluous. As I said, both versions were identical visually (until the Italian restorers went snip crazy); the French voice-over is a more interesting narrator than the Italian; and the Italian text is a lazy translation of the French: where the French uses a specific vivid word, the Italian makes a ganeric banal translation. And, of course, Rossellini made the French version first (and French, in fact, was his first language as a child).

Altair

#80 Post by Altair » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:15 am

Again, I must just chime in to say thank you for making this available for all of us.

TMDaines

#81 Post by TMDaines » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:34 am

tag gallagher wrote:Yes, my posting at Cinematik has both the French and Italian audio, with separate subtitles for each.
I made the mkv of just the French version in order to have a small file (1gb) to circulate here, at kg, and, ideally, everywhere in the whole world.
Except for those who understand Italian (and prefer it to French), I think the Italian version is superfluous. As I said, both versions were identical visually (until the Italian restorers went snip crazy); the French voice-over is a more interesting narrator than the Italian; and the Italian text is a lazy translation of the French: where the French uses a specific vivid word, the Italian makes a ganeric banal translation. And, of course, Rossellini made the French version first (and French, in fact, was his first language as a child).
Thanks, Tag. Invaluable as always.