Vittorio De Sica

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Matt

Re: Vittorio De Sica

#26 Post by Matt » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:34 am

criterionsnob wrote:This new restoration looked fantastic. With it being a Film Foundation release, I wonder if we could expect a Criterion disc release.
It did look really good. Criterion seemed to have recent success with De Sica’s Miracle in Milan, so perhaps they would be encouraged to release this. Then again, it’s not exactly the airy confection that film is.

Though I haven’t seen many, this might be the only De Sica film I really like. So many of his more well-known films feel treacly or forced to me, whereas this one is genuinely sad.

Aunt Peg

#27 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:39 am

I actually thought that Il giardino dei Finzi Contini / The Garden of the Finzi-Continis was released on Blu Ray years ago in the UK. I went searching for my copy just about a week ago only to find a DVD instead and my records of my physical media collection indicated an English DVD edition only. It didn't take long to realise that I was mistaken and the only Blu Ray release has been in Germany (no English subtitles). :oops:

MichaelB

#28 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:03 am

If I remember rightly, the Arrow Academy edition was DVD only because available materials simply weren’t good enough for anything higher definition - and even the DVD was pretty ropey.

Fred Holywell

#29 Post by Fred Holywell » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:06 pm

There's also a Blu-ray/DVD combo of The Garden of the Finzi-Continis released by M6 Video two years ago. A "4K Restored Version" with French subtitles. There's a review up on DVDClassik.
SpoilerShow
2021 Blu-rayImage
2008 DVDImage