It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Hirokazu Kore-eda
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:40 pm 

We received the new Blu-Ray -- and re-watched the film promptly. No momentous discoveries on re-watching this -- but I can say that (as for me) it not only holds up well but actually seemed even stronger than I first felt it to be. The Blu-Ray looks and sounds fine -- and has a 1 hour long "making of" (which we haven't had time to watch yet). I would also note that, even in translation, this has a wonderful script. Finally, I really do think the casting/performances in this are as close to perfect as I can imagine (Ozu level perfect -- which is my highest possible accolade).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:58 am 

I agree with you Michael ,the performances from Abe and Kirin are simply wonderful, and the rest of the cast fill in nicely too. Kore-eda using the same actors in multiple films really seems to pay off ( in the same way as it did with Ozu ). I was also lucky enough to catch this on the big screen in London and then couldn't wait for the UK Blu-ray release so sourced a DVD from somewhere in Asia that had subs. It really does stand multiple viewings because there are a lot of subtleties in the two leads performances.
The housing complex used in the film is where Kore-eda's mother actually lived and I read in an interview that this was a sort of follow up to Still Walking which I think is his masterpiece though he now suggests he would have not used the postscript ending .
His latest film looks like a major change in direction so that will be very interesting to see.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:58 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plr3V4TYBQE
There is a trailer for his latest film , apparently called " The Third Murder" for the English Title ?
it seems quite a change of style

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:22 pm 

Looks like the English title is pretty much a straight translation of the Japanese one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:26 pm 

longstone wrote:
It seems quite a change of style

I don't know - a Kore-eda film about the legal system and what sounds potentially like someone performing an murder in revenge for an assisted suicide(?) seems like it would be in keeping with previous 'big issue' topics of stepfamilies, adoption issues and the end of life. Very excited to see Koji Yakusho, though it immediately makes me think about Shinji Aoyama's magnificent film about trauma and murder Eureka, which might be an unfair comparison! There's also the actress who played the youngest sister in Our Little Sister in there, and the actor who played the 'uptight' father in Like Father, Like Son. And I wouldn't have noticed this if I had not watched Shin Godzilla just two days ago but the lady briefly shown holding the piece of paper in the courtroom is the actress who played the character constantly on her laptop throughout the whole of that film!

Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:40 pm 

Distance and Hana yori mo naho also involved legal(ish) big topics. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:03 pm 

Can someone let me know whether the subtitles on the US Blu-ray of After the Storm can be turned off? I don't want to buy it if the subtitles are fixed. Thank you in advance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5