Stanley Kubrick

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Matt

#76 Post by Matt » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:09 pm

skuhn8 wrote:Now there's an extra I would double dip for: Kubrick's Nescafe reedits!
Maybe one day Criterion will release a "Minutiae of the Great Directors" disc with these, Lynch's pregnancy test commercial, Bergman's soap commercials, and Brakhage's laundry detergent ads.

neal

#77 Post by neal » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:35 pm

matt wrote:
skuhn8 wrote:Now there's an extra I would double dip for: Kubrick's Nescafe reedits!
Maybe one day Criterion will release a "Minutiae of the Great Directors" disc with these, Lynch's pregnancy test commercial, Bergman's soap commercials, and Brakhage's laundry detergent ads.
Have you seen the Kurosawa Suntory Whiskey commercials on the Kurosawa disc? An unusual easter egg...

Fletch F. Fletch

#78 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:47 pm

The always quotable R. Lee Ermey is interviewed in Radar magazine and, of course, talks about Kubrick in an interesting anecdote:
Did you and Kubrick become close while shooting Full Metal Jacket?

Very close. Stanley called me up all the time. He'd call at three o'clock in the morning and say, "Oh, it's 10 o'clock over here." [Laughs] "Yeah, well, it's three o-fucking-clock in the morning here, Stanley. Oh well." He called me about two weeks before he died, as a matter of fact. We had a long conversation about Eyes Wide Shut. He told me it was a piece of shit and that he was disgusted with it and that the critics were going to have him for lunch. He said Cruise and Kidman had their way with him—exactly the words he used.

What did he mean?

He was kind of a shy little timid guy. He wasn't real forceful. That's why he didn't appreciate working with big, high-powered actors. They would have their way with him, he would lose control, and his movie would turn to shit.
The entire interview can be found, here.

Matt

#79 Post by Matt » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:17 pm

Oh, I don't buy that story one bit.

Barmy

#80 Post by Barmy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:00 pm

FMJ is Stanley's worst movie (excluding pre-"Killing" flix), and Ermey's performance rather overrated.

So there.

rumz

#81 Post by rumz » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:37 pm

Barmy wrote:FMJ is Stanley's worst movie (excluding pre-"Killing" flix), and Ermey's performance rather overrated.
Where, pray tell, is Jaime Christley when you need him?

Matt

#82 Post by Matt » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:54 pm

Barmy wrote:FMJ is Stanley's worst movie (excluding pre-"Killing" flix)
Still, taking to account the consistent quality of his films, that's kind of like saying, "This is the worst diamond tiara I've ever worn." It's still a fucking diamond tiara.

And let me complete the inevitable punchline for you snigglers:

Wiseacre: "And how many diamond tiaras do you own/have you worn, Matt?"

Matt: "Not enough."

Subbuteo

#83 Post by Subbuteo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:54 pm

:) Thats so funny!
you bastard I've spilt wine all over my keyboard.

Fletch F. Fletch

#84 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:41 pm

Kubrick's wife is interviewed about her husband, Dr. Strangelove and other things...

Antoine Doinel

#85 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:52 pm

Matt wrote:Oh, I don't buy that story one bit.
Ditto.

Barmy

#86 Post by Barmy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:22 pm

Ditto.
Are you referring to Ermey's story or Christiane's?

Matt

#87 Post by Matt » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:45 pm

Barmy wrote:
Ditto.
Are you referring to Ermey's story or Christiane's?
To futher confound this daisy chain, reading Christiane's story makes Ermey's seem more plausible. I mean, I know he had a propensity for calling people in the middle of the night, but I guess I never imagined he doubted himself so much.

Fletch F. Fletch

#88 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:18 pm

This has to be seen to be truly believed...
It's a screen test some talentless young actor sent in when Stanley Kubrick was casting Full Metal Jacket in 1984. The hubris on display here is magnificent and awe-inspiring.
Check it out if you dare.

tryavna

#89 Post by tryavna » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:35 pm

Don't forget the sequel!

Cinesimilitude

#90 Post by Cinesimilitude » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:26 pm

Good lord that's hilarious.

jon

#91 Post by jon » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:19 pm

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:Check it out if you dare.
"...a young Alec Guiness..." best video ever? the second one is hilarious as well
Last edited by jon on Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fletch F. Fletch

#92 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:24 pm

I particularly enjoyed his first audition and his "stirring" interpretation of a pivotal scene from The Outsiders... altho, he almost out-Shatners William Shatner in the sequel.

jon

#93 Post by jon » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:37 pm

Why is he reciting it with that southern accent! He is screaming and waving his fists in the air. Its great.

The second one is obviously fake and done by a fan or something. The fact that he recites the line "Me so horny, me love you long time" and does it with that ridiculously serious asshole voice gives it away. Good video though.

"You will find in me the finest actor in the lot."
That line makes the audition he does so much sweeter

"Millions upon millions of science fiction fans are crying out in agony" says the "trekkie"

He acts mentally ill in the audition.

Highway 61

#94 Post by Highway 61 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:17 pm

He went to all that effort and still mispronounced Kubrick's name. Hilarious.

tavernier

#95 Post by tavernier » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:30 am

From the NY Times:

[quote]October 31, 2006
After Death, My Sweet: From an Idea by Kubrick, a New Film May Be Born
By CHARLES McGRATH

Stanley Kubrick never threw anything away. On the other hand, he didn't have much of a filing system, and when he moved — permanently, it turned out — from Hollywood to London in 1962, a great many things went astray. Among them was the sole copy of a film treatment called “Lunatic at Large,â€

yukiyuki

#96 Post by yukiyuki » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:54 am

anyone got info about who is the owner of Kubrick's short films like Flying Padre, The Seafearers, and Day of the Fight???

Antoine Doinel

#97 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:51 am

This was the latest news on the Seafarers DVD. Not sure about the other titles though.

portnoy

#98 Post by portnoy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:26 am

I know this is gonna rub a lot of people the wrong way - but I gotta air my thoughts...

I never 'got' the appeal of Stanley Kubrick. Am I the only one who thinks the emperor isn't wearing any clothes? I mean, I appreciate his dogged stylization in his films I suppose but I can't help but think that there really isn't a lot going on in them - their themes on alienation and dehumanization are so readily apparent (and, revealing my biases a bit - i think they're kinda adolescent) that I can't find anything below the surface in his cinema. With some films (A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket in particular) the political project is so unnuanced that it comes across as very pedantic, nearly as oppressive in stylization as the very modes of mechanized discourse that he's ostensibly against. Does anyone else have a hearty distrust of Kubrick?

Mr Sausage

#99 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:03 pm

portnoy wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the emperor isn't wearing any clothes?
It's one thing to have a differing sensibility, it's another to declare that everyone who doesn't share it is delusional and incapable of an original thought.

You're right, you are rubbing me the wrong way, but it has nothing to do with your dislike of Kubrick.

portnoy

#100 Post by portnoy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:22 pm

My choice of allusion was perhaps wrong - I don't mean to indict his fans, merely his seeming infallibility and unquestionability as a 'master.'