It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Luis Buñuel
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:39 pm 

Even Bunuel thought she was a bad actress. Taken from the great book, "Objects of Desire: conversations with Luis Bunuel." I can upload more shots of the conversation they have about the movie if anyone is interested? Bunuel says it's one of his most personal films.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:13 pm 

Bad actress doesn't mean bad performance and it sounds like from your excerpt that Bunuel enjoyed the final result even if it was hell to achieve.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:02 pm 

I quite like The Young One and re-watched it for the third time a few months ago.
I like that the girl isn't a professional actress and displays some awkwardness, as she is supposed to have been kept on this island with little schooling or contact with the outside world.

One thing that might throw a viewer is the tone and the way in which the three main characters all have a very different style/presence.
Zachary Scott is hard edged, brutish and shrewd.
The jazz musician/fugitive is more worldly, friendly and slang-spouting.
While the girl is sort of primitive, trusting, a blank slate.

Even though the premise of the film isn't subtle, I like how Bunuel adds some sly contrast. The black jazz musician is falsely accused of rape and so his life is in danger, while the white guy probably is guilty of rape (statutory at least), yet is confident he can sweep it under the rug. And even with the gun, the black man is still at a disadvantage due to cultural norms of the time.

I think Ascent to Heaven, Los Olvidados, and The Young One might be my three favorite Bunuel films.
Has Los Olvidados received a decent release? I saw it projected at the Shanghai Film Fest about 7 years back and assumed that a significant release was soon to follow.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:49 pm 

I'm satisfied with the Fremantle Home Entertainment - Region 0 - PAL DVD of Los Olvidados sold for peanuts on Amazon, in as much as my original exposure to the film was a VHS tape, and its picture quality is better than my copy of Ascent to Heaven.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:03 am 

I phrased that poorly.
I don't worry much about picture quality (not a phrase you see at criterion.org much).
I wanted to ask if:
1) a restored print ever surfaced in the last 5+ years?
or
2) if otherwise there are older dvd editions readily available?

So you answered my 2nd (unasked question).
Though I'm in China, so not sure if it's worth figuring out how to get something from amazon to me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:51 pm 

5 minutes into El, and we’ve already got Catholicism and foot fetishes, hell yeah!