Scarface (Luca Guadagnino, 202X)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
The Narrator Returns

Scarface (Send resumes c/o Universal, 201X)

#1 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:28 pm

The Coens will be writing the script for the forthcoming remake of Scarface.

hearthesilence

Re: Joel and Ethan Coen

#2 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:58 pm

I believe Pablo Larraín is supposed to be the director, correct?

EDIT: Damn, I stand corrected - this is apparently an ongoing game of musical chairs.
Last edited by hearthesilence on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Wagstaff

#3 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Do they have any directorial projects in the works? Seems like they're doing more for-hire screenwriting jobs these days.

MoonlitKnight

#4 Post by MoonlitKnight » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:50 pm

Yeah, what's going on? They made a whopping (by today's standards) 7 films in the 2000's, but have only managed 3 so far this decade. :-k

flyonthewall2983

#5 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:02 pm

Professor Wagstaff wrote:Do they have any directorial projects in the works? Seems like they're doing more for-hire screenwriting jobs these days.
They're doing something for TV (though it might be theatrical too).

I wonder if they'd have any interest in just doing Scarface themselves.

MoonlitKnight

#6 Post by MoonlitKnight » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:49 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:I wonder if they'd have any interest in just doing Scarface themselves.
Well, the last time(s) they took over a project from someone else and/or attempted a remake, it resulted in what I consider their 2 weakest films ("Intolerable Cruelty" and "The Ladykillers," respectively) -- so I'd be leery of them doing this again. :| But the outcome could be better this time around as well, I suppose.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#7 Post by Brian C » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:01 pm

The last time they attempted a remake was TRUE GRIT and it was glorious.

beamish13

#8 Post by beamish13 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Brian C wrote:The last time they attempted a remake was TRUE GRIT and it was glorious.
I agree. Visually resplendent, incredibly faithful to its wonderful source material and sports one of the best performances by a child actor ever.

Professor Wagstaff

#9 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:12 pm

True Grit isn't really a remake in the traditional sense, but a new adaptation of the novel. They banked on the name recognition with the title, but the Coens' version is reverent to Charles Portis' plotting, structure, tone, and dialogue that the 1969 version just wasn't.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#10 Post by Brian C » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Sure, but still.

MoonlitKnight

#11 Post by MoonlitKnight » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:44 pm

Brian C wrote:The last time they attempted a remake was TRUE GRIT and it was glorious.
I personally consider it one of their middle-of-the-road films... and [nerd glasses on] because it's based on material from another medium, it's technically an alternate adaptation, not a remake. [nerd glasses off] \:D/

Big Ben

Scarface (Send resumes to Universal, 201X)

#12 Post by Big Ben » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:28 pm

carmilla mircalla

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#13 Post by carmilla mircalla » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:30 pm

aka too try-hard-14-year-old-edge-lord. His movies have the silliest depictions of "realistic" violence and gore. Sabotage is the prime example of that. Also he's terrible with his work in every way anyways

Ribs

#14 Post by Ribs » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:35 pm

What's the point of this project? Fuqua and Washington said they were interested in doing a new take - like what De Palma did to the original by turning it into a Cuban gangster story, their take would be the black gangster story. But seemingly the studio didn't like that and wanted to exploit the Tony Montana character that sells posters and cast Diego Luna.

carmilla mircalla

#15 Post by carmilla mircalla » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:02 am

Ribs wrote:What's the point of this project? Fuqua and Washington said they were interested in doing a new take - like what De Palma did to the original by turning it into a Cuban gangster story, their take would be the black gangster story. But seemingly the studio didn't like that and wanted to exploit the Tony Montana character that sells posters and cast Diego Luna.
with all that said still, what is the point of the project? we have American Gangster for the black gangster story and I'm sure others. I can't think of anything more boring nowadays than an urban story of a person growing and building a criminal empire. Also the general fanbase for those kinds of movies are insolent dullards and other social undesirables who would actually see a struggle in the journey to power filled with violence and immorality basically focusing on all the wrong things. This project should just die.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#16 Post by swo17 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:00 am

What is the point of any movie?

carmilla mircalla

#17 Post by carmilla mircalla » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:06 am

swo17 wrote:What is the point of any movie?
precisely. That's art.

flyonthewall2983

#18 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:20 pm

carmilla mircalla wrote:
Ribs wrote:What's the point of this project? Fuqua and Washington said they were interested in doing a new take - like what De Palma did to the original by turning it into a Cuban gangster story, their take would be the black gangster story. But seemingly the studio didn't like that and wanted to exploit the Tony Montana character that sells posters and cast Diego Luna.
with all that said still, what is the point of the project? we have American Gangster for the black gangster story and I'm sure others. I can't think of anything more boring nowadays than an urban story of a person growing and building a criminal empire. Also the general fanbase for those kinds of movies are insolent dullards and other social undesirables who would actually see a struggle in the journey to power filled with violence and immorality basically focusing on all the wrong things. This project should just die.
Are the Coens still writing it? If there is any shred of hope that they might just direct it themselves, it should absolutely not die.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 14, 2020 4:06 pm

All this time spent in quarantine and Hollywood still can’t come up with any new ideas?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#21 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu May 14, 2020 4:16 pm

Hacks gonna hack

knives

#22 Post by knives » Thu May 14, 2020 4:18 pm

That's a strong opinion about those three.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#23 Post by Never Cursed » Thu May 14, 2020 4:18 pm

Apparently the Coens have been shopping that script around for at least three years, so it's not even a new old idea (what they got ain't nothing new?)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 14, 2020 4:25 pm

The only “new” version of Scarface that would be worth making would examine its vaunted status within glamorized street crime courtesy of hardcore rappers and their adherents, painting the adaptation with some kind of meta brush examining and remaking it through the lens of those who idolize it. I somehow doubt these three are going to deliver a film like that.

knives

#25 Post by knives » Thu May 14, 2020 4:30 pm

Why would that be the only one worth making? Couldn't it also just be a good gangster flick that uses the basic structure? I don't understand this dislike of retelling people have.