It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 987 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40
 Post subject: Re: Jean-Luc Godard
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:39 pm 

In most languages, I'll lazily note, the work for currency is the same as weight. Even some that don't like dinero are derived from words for weight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:01 am 

I have no idea if this is any good and/or authentic. But it looks like that some members here are from the NYC area, so they may take a look into this.
http://www.blouinartinfo.com/news/story ... guel-abreu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:32 pm 

The Museum of the Moving Image is screening a 35mm print of Histoire(s) du Cinema on Sunday, January 28 at 4 p.m. (Didn't Godard cut and output this on video editing decks? Didn't realize he had made a film print.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 pm 

As I remember it, all of the original footage (the interviews, etc.) was pretty obviously shot on video as well. I can't find any other reference to a 35mm version of Histoire(s), and when Moments choisis appeared it was considered distinct from the original series in large part because it existed on 35mm. So I'm thinking they only recently transferred Histoire(s) to 35mm (which would be desirable from a preservation standpoint if nothing else) or the listing is wrong (my personal guess).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:53 pm 

I did a cursory search on Google, and apparently a "highlights" compilation was indeed created and transferred to 35mm. This would have been before the spring of 2008, when the first DVDs of the entire thing was released. However, I haven't turned up anything about the entire work being made available on 35mm prints.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:29 pm 
Dot Com Dom

There is zero reason to see this in 35mm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:44 pm 

But there are 2 or 3 reasons to see this on a big screen & with propper sound -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:47 pm 

hearthesilence wrote:
I did a cursory search on Google, and apparently a "highlights" compilation was indeed created and transferred to 35mm. This would have been before the spring of 2008, when the first DVDs of the entire thing was released. However, I haven't turned up anything about the entire work being made available on 35mm prints.

The "highlights" compilation is the Moments choisis I mentioned, though it's been reworked enough that I'm leery of that description—it's more than just the best chunks from each episode laid end to end. It doesn't seem to have ever been officially released on video (a Japanese DVD was announced but canceled), though it's circulating unofficially.

domino harvey wrote:
There is zero reason to see this in 35mm

There's no reason to see it for the sake of 35mm (though as I've said, I don't think that's what this actually is), but I have seen it theatrically (on video) and felt it worked fine in that context, source quality issues and all. The downside is they'll most likely be using the maddeningly abbreviated original subtitles rather than the more comprehensive jobs seen on some of the DVD releases.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:30 pm 

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
The "highlights" compilation is the Moments choisis I mentioned, though it's been reworked enough that I'm leery of that description—it's more than just the best chunks from each episode laid end to end.

Ah, never mind then. The "highlights" description comes from a review written on the DVD release by James S. Williams. I was not aware of Moments choisis until you mentioned it, but digging deep into what little French I know, I can now see the translation is more or less "choice moments," though I guess it shouldn't be taken too literally.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:49 am 

Any thoughts on Gaumont's "Godard Politique"box set? I bought this with gritted teeth, expecting it to be a chore, but it's proven to be surprisingly enjoyable. I supplemented it with few films that aren't in the box set and did a mini-retrospective.

It's fascinating to see how the films changed as Godard went from a (self-described) "bourgeois making revolutionary films" to "a revolutionary filmmaker."

As mentioned, the extras don't have English subtitles, but Antoine de Baecque's French in very understandable (hélas, not Gorin's) and he provides a lot of interesting background material. One anecdote: Godard really did want to do a "film by committee," so he got together a group of 30, but after two weeks of meetings, they couldn't agree an anything, so he called in Gorin. The result was "Un Film comme les autres" (say what you will :) )

My recommendation so far is 'Pravda,' which is brief (67 min. IIRC) and more focused than some, as Godard's sustained criticism of "revisionists" in the then-Czechoslovakia.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:40 pm 

Rolling Stone interview with Godard from 1969

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:13 am 

Le Livre D’Image announced as being in competition at Cannes. Also Pierrot Le Fou featured on the official 2018 poster. Where can I get one of those?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 987 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40