Woody Allen

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
AWA

#276 Post by AWA » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:01 am

DW wrote:
AWA wrote:
Fielding wrote: Actually, his new 3 picture deal with Mediapro starts next year - after Whatever Works - with a project that will probably be Paris-based. So as things stand now, we're guaranteed at least 4 more films from Woody.
You're right - my mistake.
Something I've thought about is what Allen has done with his time between WW final cut and now. His Mediapro shoot will probably not begin until next summer....

Even when you figure in the time devoted to the opera, you're still looking at a long layoff because of WW unusually early production. He likes to stay busy, as everyone here knows. I was reminded earlier that after Match Point was released he wrote 3 screenplays in 12 weeks, Scoop being the last of the three and the only one of which we know for sure has made its way to the screen. Cassandra's Dream and VCB were not those films. I haven't seen any New Yorker shorts recently, rumors of one-acts in the offing, etc...what's Allen up to these days?
For starters, he's playing every Monday at the Cafe Carlyle with his jazz band. Likely writing / finishing a couple scripts, if not another play.

I think the opera pretty much filled up the time gap - he's usually done any kind of production by the end of the summer so the opera likely filled up that time, and he's now back to his ever-so-comfortable working schedule.

Nice blog by the way.

Highway 61

#277 Post by Highway 61 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:28 pm

Folio Society edition of Woody Allen's New Yorker pieces. I'm such a sucker for these rip-off books. :D

AWA

Re: Woody Allen

#279 Post by AWA » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:17 pm

AWA

#280 Post by AWA » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:44 pm

Woody and Time magazine editor in Woody's screening room (the couch he watches his films on, underneath the projection booth).

Part of a wide selection of amazing historical photos from Google's hosting of Life Magazine's photo library.

tojoed

#281 Post by tojoed » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:01 pm

This is supposed to be the filmmakers section, not a fan club.

Highway 61

#282 Post by Highway 61 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:36 pm

Holy shit! That archive is unbelievable. Many thanks. =D>

Antoine Doinel

#283 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:09 pm

tojoed wrote:This is supposed to be the filmmakers section, not a fan club.
Then add something instead of grumbling.

Keep on posting AWA -- I love the Allen tidbits you dig up!

sevenarts

#284 Post by sevenarts » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:54 pm

my review of the endearing, lightly entertaining Sweet and Lowdown, which is really bolstered by a pair of amazing performances, especially Samantha Morton's totally silent mime routine.

Antoine Doinel

#285 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:27 pm

Woody has a script ready for Paris.

LQ

#286 Post by LQ » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:33 pm

That's really exciting! After seeing gorgeous Barcelona so seductively shown in VCB, I can't wait to see how he'll capture Paris.

exte

#287 Post by exte » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:32 pm

Very exciting.

Lino

#288 Post by Lino » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:58 pm

LQ wrote:That's really exciting! After seeing gorgeous Barcelona so seductively shown in VCB, I can't wait to see how he'll capture Paris.
He has already shot a movie set in Paris in the past, you know. And very beautifully so, too.

LQ

#289 Post by LQ » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:29 pm

I do not know this..which movie?

Antoine Doinel

#290 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:09 am

A very small portion of Everyone Says I Love You.

Lino

#291 Post by Lino » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:10 am

Everyone Says I Love You was partly shot in Paris.

Edit: Antoine beat me to it.

LQ

#292 Post by LQ » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:48 am

Thanks for the info, I look forward to watching it!

AWA

#293 Post by AWA » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:14 am

Actually, the script Woody refers to there is quite likley the Paris project he was going to do after Match Point but fell through due to taxes making the film go over budget before production began. He had locations scouted, a crew and cast assembled (Michelle Williams and David Krumholtz in the leads) and shooting was about to begin. As a result of having to cancel the project, Woody ended up doing "Scoop" as part of his deal with the BBC, which was written in two weeks' time to suit. This is covered in the "Conversations..." Eric Lax book.

Considering he's stating that now that the lead is for a young french woman (Audrey Tautou? Julie Delpy?), it makes one wonder if this script hasn't seen some revisions that has changed the lead role from that of the Michelle Williams' character into a French one to possibly adhere to to the new Paris tax credits Woody refers to.

Better still, he says that if this isn't shot in 2009, it will be shot in 2011 and he will instead shoot a film he has ready in NYC in 2009. These are, of course, the MediaPro films with the $23 million budget (which is substantial for Woody), so there is great reason to be excited for Woody fans - "Whatever Works" later this year, one more NYC film ready after that and a potential Paris project in the next year or two.

Fielding

#294 Post by Fielding » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:10 am

AWA wrote:Actually, the script Woody refers to there is quite likley the Paris project he was going to do after Match Point but fell through due to taxes making the film go over budget before production began. He had locations scouted, a crew and cast assembled (Michelle Williams and David Krumholtz in the leads) and shooting was about to begin. As a result of having to cancel the project, Woody ended up doing "Scoop" as part of his deal with the BBC, which was written in two weeks' time to suit. This is covered in the "Conversations..." Eric Lax book.
You've got the chronology a little mixed up. He made Scoop right after Match Point to complete his 2 picture deal with BBC Films, then went over to Paris. When the Paris film fell through he returned to London to make Cassandra's Dream.

Antoine Doinel

#295 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:21 am

AWA

#296 Post by AWA » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:21 am

Axel Kuschevatzky interviews Woody: Pt1 - Pt2 - Pt3 - Pt4

This interview takes place inside Woody's Manhattan screening room, part of his editing suite that he also uses as his private film theatre. The decor remains unchanged since the 70's, furniture included. Woody also looks like he just woke up.

FerdinandGriffon

#297 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:09 am

AWA wrote:Axel Kuschevatzky interviews Woody: Pt1 - Pt2 - Pt3 - Pt4

This interview takes place inside Woody's Manhattan screening room, part of his editing suite that he also uses as his private film theatre. The decor remains unchanged since the 70's, furniture included. Woody also looks like he just woke up.
WA wrote:Here, I'm what you'd call an arthouse filmmaker. You know, these small, special, university towns and small cinemas.
Come on Woody, who do you think you're kidding? His movies have always been, and always will be, mainstream. Sure they may (sometimes) be more intelligent or artful than most studio fare, but there has never been a time where he was relegated to the ghetto of the arthouse cinema. VCB was in the multiplexes for months, as was Match Point, just like many others before it. He's just flattering the "enlightened" Argentinean interviewer and propagating the myth of WA the great artist.

Cinetwist

#298 Post by Cinetwist » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:37 am

Well, maybe in Paris his films aren't relegated to the arthouse 'ghetto'. But here in the UK they certainly are. Or at least Match Point was and VCB will be. Several others never even secured distribution, nevermind even arthouse distribution!

FerdinandGriffon

#299 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:46 am

I don't mean in Paris, though that's certainly the case. I'm just here for a few months. But Allen is talking about in the States, and, as a citizen and long time moviegoer, I can safely say that his films have never had trouble finding fairly widespread distribution or large audiences in the USA, perhaps excepting the few instances where his films were almost unwatchably bad.
I'd add that the reason why Match Point was slighted in the UK might have been that it's portrayal of the English upper class is so clichéd, infantile and obviously American that it irritated British distributors. Unlikely, but I'd like to imagine it that way.
I miss the old Woody, the one who was content with being a great comic and sentimentalist, rather than a mass producer of pretentious but vapid pseudo-serious dramas.
Last edited by FerdinandGriffon on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

HarryLong

#300 Post by HarryLong » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:55 am

I can safely say that his films have never had trouble finding fairly widespread distribution or large audiences in the USA, perhaps excepting the few instances where his films were almost unwatchably bad.
No, INTERIORS was widely distributed, too.