Otto Preminger

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Twilight Time

#151 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Bunny Lake is Missing Blu looks great

Although the Lem Dobbs commentary sounds bonkers if this is accurate
Lem Dobbs, in some interesting sidebars to his commentary on Bunny Lake is Missing, goes even further, suggesting that Preminger's brusque, brutal attitude toward his actors actually resulted in, or at least contributed to, several deaths through the years, including Seberg herself, as well as Maggie McNamara and Dorothy Dandridge. That may be stretching things a bit, for while all three of these actresses did indeed commit suicide, they had all been beset with career difficulties that can't be entirely ascribed to Preminger.
:roll:

Roger Ryan

#152 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:06 am

During a 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY Q & A I attended two weeks ago, Keir Dullea remarked that Preminger was insufferable during the shooting of BUNNY LAKE and made everyone miserable. Working for Kubrick immediately after was very relaxed and fun by comparison.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#153 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:25 pm

Oh, Preminger was by all accounts a terrible asshole, I just very much doubt he led to anyone's suicide (well, maybe Dandridge)

Gregory

#154 Post by Gregory » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Are we expected to believe that Preminger made Seberg suffer so much during the production of her first two films that she got through the experience, went on to make 32 more films, and then, 20 years after Bonjour Tristesse, died of a drug overdose even partly because of Preminger? Quite a farfetched notion of delayed causation! If anyone deserves blame for what happened to Seberg's career and contributed to her intense personal troubles (I'll stop short of saying "led to her death") it's the FBI and the press.

Minkin

#155 Post by Minkin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:05 pm

Perhaps Lem Dobbs is misremembering the pure evil side of Preminger.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Otto Preminger

#156 Post by Drucker » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:57 am

From Keir Dullea's AMA:
Q: First may I just say I love your work and as Bunny Lake is Missing is one of my favorites. So my question is what is your favorite memory from the film?
Very few good memories due to the fact that Otto Preminger was a horror to work for. If you ever saw a film called Stalag 17 you will see Otto Preminger playing the Nazi commandant of the prisoner of war camp. Perfect typecasting. However, I have to say, that the high point for me, and perhaps the only high point, was working with Laurence Olivier.

jvdsq

#157 Post by jvdsq » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:34 am

I love the film Laura. Waldo's lines are so memorable. Gene Tierney was beautiful and talented. She was the perfect actress for the part of Laura. The mood and atmosphere were just right. The mystery itself was quite unique. Lovely background music, too.

Where the Sidewalk Ends is an excellent and gritty film noir. I love how the film makes such effective use of shadows, side streets, and staircases.

Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney were great together in both films. Interesting that, in Laura, Gene Tierney had a much more important role than she did in Where the Sidewalk Ends.

I enjoyed Bunny Lake is Missing because I love the sorts of mysteries in which someone tries to find someone else who vanished, and no one believes that the vanished person really exists. Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes is another film which follows such a theme. Same goes for So Long at the Fair and Dangerous Crossing.

TMDaines

#158 Post by TMDaines » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:53 am

Anyone know whether Whirlpool premiered in 1949 or 1950 for sure? Used to be listed as 1949 on IMDB, but is now listed as 1950. The date given for justifying 1949 commonly online is 28th November 1949, but I can find no actual evidence of a premiere at that time or contemporary reviews.

It opened in New York and Los Angeles on 13th January 1950 and there is a New York Times review for the following day.

Werewolf by Night

#159 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:48 pm

According to Variety's review that ran on November 23, 1949, there was an industry/trade screening in New York on November 18. Boxoffice, another trade paper, ran a capsule review on December 3 listing the film as releasing "Jan. '50."

A Los Angeles Times article dated January 10, 1950 states that the film was scheduled to open "Friday" (which would have been January 13) at the Los Angeles, Chinese, Uptown, Fox Wilshire, and Loyola theaters.

TMDaines

#160 Post by TMDaines » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:32 am

The Talk on Wikipedia is quite interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Whir ... 1950_film).

TMDaines

#161 Post by TMDaines » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:01 am

Film Daily Year Book 1950 pretty clearly shows this has being shown in 1949: https://archive.org/stream/filmdailyyea ... 9/mode/2up

In other news, the Internet Archive is amazing nowadays. Already spent an hour browsing old trade publications.

TMDaines

#162 Post by TMDaines » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:16 pm

Also here is a review from Motion Picture Daily on 28th November 1949:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#163 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:55 pm

happily married
Are we sure they saw the movie?

TMDaines

#164 Post by TMDaines » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:53 pm

By reading it, I wasn't certain for sure.

This is your #1 of the 40s Domino, so your world surely turns upside down if this is going to count for the 50s next time!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#165 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:27 am

Like I needed another existential crisis in my life!

knives

#166 Post by knives » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:32 am

Still stewing on it, but I at first found Junie Moon utterly ridiculous until looking up and finding out the ADA only came into effect in 1990. That's kind of insane and makes the film in its own bizarre way seem so much more forward looking that I think I like it more now.