It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jacques Rivette
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:14 pm 

The Stockholm cinemateque had a screening of the restored version of noli me tangere over the weekend and I had tickets for the entire twelve+ hours.

On one hand I get what Rosenbaum is getting at when he comments on moviegoers rejection of longer films - especially nowadays when "binge-watching" series is all the rage. However, he fails to put in writing just how awfully teadious those theatre exercises are. I understand that Out 1 is his darling, and maybe it would've been mine too had I bothered to watch the second half today. But its legendary status feels unwarrented and largely the result of its rarity. I don't require narrative cohesion nor a rapid tempo (Resnais and Tarr are both household gods, for instance).

And maybe I should reserve judgement until I've seen it in its entirety, but what Rosenbaum said would only be applicable to Out 1 if you cut the many, many hours of screaming and ridiculous mumbo-jumbo. Colin and Frederique both have interesting stories, but I can only take so much of those theatre exercises before I wish for a bullet in my head.

Does the film get remarkably better in the second half, or am I beyond saving and doomed to be a philistine for all of eternity?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:37 pm 

The film does get a lot more conventional in the second half and would be easier to consider great if it is specifically the theatrical exercises that put you off.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:24 pm 

I loved Out 1 by the end, but my experience with Rivette so far involves a lot of pushing through the confusion and, quite often, boredom. Essentially, I don't understand why I'm seeing the majority of what I'm seeing as I'm seeing it. Yet somehow, every time I reach the conclusion, the film suddenly makes a considerable degree of sense, cohering around an idea or a way of considering everything that had come before it. As this is a considerable investment in even the average Rivette film, I can certainly understand why Out 1 in particular would just be too much. Though its episodic structure made it easier to reach each successive hurdle, I'm very glad I didn't do one of those two-day marathon screenings. I definitely wouldn't advise it as a starting place with the filmmaker, but if you've had rewarding experiences with him already, it's well worth pushing on.

I will say that while it does get MORE conventional as it goes, that also makes it doubly frustrating when they do go back to another tedious theatre exercise (though I gather I liked those sections more than most, there were certainly some that I could barely stand). Don't they know there's only an hour left in this thing?!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:43 pm 

I don't know if this has been stated on a different topic thread, but I was just browsing Netflix and noticed that Out 1 is up in its entirety in the form of the 8 episodes separately (it's labelled as TV show, "1 season"). There goes my weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:10 pm 

Wow. Out 1 streaming in pristine quality on Netflix, and A Brighter Summer Day on Criterion Blu sitting on my shelf. It's like I'm living in some kind of exotic cinephile future that would have seemed impossible a decade ago.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:44 am 

3 early Rivette shorts, which he kept for himself in his apartment have been found/returned by his widow and have recently been restored.

Last edited by rockysds on Wed May 11, 2016 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:36 pm 

Exciting news. I had thought they were lost forever. I wonder how/ if they will be made ready for public consumption outside of theatrical screenings?

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:16 am 

Curious about these three shorts.

Now let's have somebody get on the case of restoring his 80s films!!

Post subject: Jacques Rivette
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:36 am 

Mary Wiles (author of Jacques Rivette from University of Illinois Press) announced on The Projection Booth podcast that L'amour fou will be receiving a home video release but would not say who the distributor was. Perhaps a Rivette Collection Volume 2 is in the works from Arrow?

Last edited by subliminac on Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:44 am 
Dot Com Dom

Holy smokes, great news!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:00 am 

Yes, it's one of his best films - can't wait...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:07 am 

It is certainly his most harrowing....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:09 am 

Tremendous news!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:34 am 

Finally, my favorite Rivette. I'll have very few bootlegs left after this gets the deluxe treatment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:59 pm 

Be still my heart. Now if only it comes with The Nun or those recently discovered shorts and we will be stupid fortunate.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:46 pm 

I think it's only this film, The Nun and Haut bas fragile that we're missing in English-friendly editions (or at all). That would make for a weird box set, but I wouldn't complain!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:59 pm 

Aren't a bunch of those old Rivette DVD releases long out of print?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:15 pm 

Subtitles for "La religieuse" and "Haut bas fragile" can easily be found on the web via openly available subtitle sites like opensubtitles.org or subscene.com . Not too much of a problem to play them with the French editions of these films if you use VLC or a similar program; a bit more technical savvy is needed to make a customized dvd to add these subs if you want to use a standalone player.

But "L'amour fou" is on a totally different level, as there's simply no official release with or without subtitles available anywhere (and even the best backchannels version is a pretty bad VHS copy). So if this really finally comes out, I'll be overjoyed. After that, we'll only need a proper release of "Jeanne la Pucelle" to replace that awful AE edition, which curiously still is the only version of the complete, uncut film(s). "Jeanne" isn't even available in France, which seriously surprises me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:38 pm 

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Aren't a bunch of those old Rivette DVD releases long out of print?

Which ones are you thinking of? All the BFI, Artificial Eye and Bluebell titles I can think of still seem to be available from Amazon.uk except for La Belle Noiseuse, though Divertimento is still available in an Emmanuelle Beart box set.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:51 pm 

I was thinking of the US DVDs of Secret defense, Bande a quatre and Hurlevent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:35 am 

subliminac wrote:
Mary Wiles (author of Jacques Rivette from University of Illinois Press) announced on The Projection Booth podcast that L'amour fou will be receiving a home video release but would not say who the distributor was. Perhaps a Rivette Collection Volume 2 is in the works from Arrow?

Great news! Can't wait.

Tommaso, I do have an acceptable copy of L'Amour Fou with perfectly readable English subs – if you want to shoot me a PM, I'll dropbox it to you (as a foretaste to the, I'd imagine, infinitely better DVD release!).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:58 am 

subliminac wrote:
Perhaps a Rivette Collection Volume 2 is in the works from Arrow?
Stéphane Tchalgadjieff didn't produce L'Amour fou tho. Or maybe they talked to the rights holder while working on the other Rivettes?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:14 pm 

L'Amour Fou and L'amour par Terre were two of his big ones I missed out on, so hooray!!

Still crossing my fingers that a "vol 2" is in the making, including La Bande des Quatre!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:37 pm 

nolanoe wrote:
L'Amour Fou and L'amour par Terre were two of his big ones I missed out on, so hooray!!

Still crossing my fingers that a "vol 2" is in the making, including La Bande des Quatre!!

As noted above, La Bande des Quatre (and L'Amour par Terre) are currently in print from another UK label, so they almost certainly won't be available for Arrow. As far as I'm aware, only the three films I noted above haven't been released on UK DVD, and almost everything seems to still be in print, so Arrow's pickings are slim.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:52 am 

subliminac wrote:
Mary Wiles (author of Jacques Rivette from University of Illinois Press) announced on The Projection Booth podcast that L'amour fou will be receiving a home video release but would not say who the distributor was.
Jonathan Rosenbaum was also interviewed for the podcast and said it's taken New Yorker so long to release Celine and Julie on DVD because Dan Talbot doesn't even like the film. They never wanted to release it at all theatrically but the rights were too cheap to pass up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next