William Friedkin

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

William Friedkin

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:47 pm

William Friedkin (1935- )

"I really don't believe in heroes. The best of people have a dark side and it's a constant struggle for the better side to survive and to thrive."

Filmography
Features
Good Times (1967)
The Birthday Party (1968)
The Night They Raided Minsky's (1968)
The Boys in the Band (1970)
The French Connection (1971)
The Exorcist (1973)
Sorcerer (1977)
The Brink's Job (1978)
Cruising (1980)
Deal of the Century (1983)
To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)
Rampage (1987)
The Guardian (1990)
Blue Chips (1994)
Jade (1995)
Rules of Engagement (2000)
The Hunted (2003)
Bug (2006)
Killer Joe (2012)
The Devil and Father Amorth (2017) [documentary]

Television
The People vs. Paul Crump (1962) [documentary]
The Bold Men (1965) [documentary]
Mayhem on a Sunday Afternoon (1965) [documentary]
The Alfred Hitchcock Hour — S03E29 — "Off Season" (1965)
The Thin Blue Line (1966) [documentary]
The Twilight Zone — S01E04 — "Nightcrawlers" (1985)
C.A.T. Squad (1986)
C.A.T. Squad: Python Wolf (1988)
Tales from the Crypt — S04E03 — "On a Deadman's Chest" (1992)
Jailbreakers (1994)
12 Angry Men (1997)
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation — S08E09 — "Cockroaches" (2007)
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation — S09E18 — "Mascara" (2009)

Books
Hurricane Billy: The Stormy Life and Films of William Friedkin by Nat Segaloff (1990)
William Friedkin: Films of Aberration, Obsession, and Reality by Thomas D. Claret (2003)
The Friedkin Connection by William Friedkin (2014)
William Friedkin: Interviews by Christopher Lane ed. (2020)
Cruising by Eugenio Ercolani and Marcus Stiglegger (2020)
The Films of William Friedkin by Steve Choe (2021)
Sorcerer: William Friedkin and the New Hollywood by Mark Wheeler (2022)

Web Resources
Cinephelia & Beyond resources, including interviews, essays, videos, and screenplays
Multi-hour video interviews with DGA's Jeremy Kagan from 2007, 2009, 2014
2012 interview with Schokkend Nieuws
2015 interview with Mike Fleming, Jr., Deadline
2018 interview with Charles Bramesco, The Guardian

Forum Discussions
The French Connection (William Friedkin, 1971)
The Exorcist (William Friedkin, 1973)
Sorcerer (William Friedkin, 1977)
Cruising
Bug (William Friedkin, 2006)
Killer Joe (William Friedkin, 2012)

DarkImbecile

Re: William Friedkin

#2 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:48 pm

Created on request for tolbs1010, who will now present his dissertation on why Rules of Engagement is the greatest film in Friedkin's oeuvre

knives

#3 Post by knives » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:03 pm

Bout to say that’s the only one I’ve seen in theaters, but that’s actually The Hunted. Is that actually any good beyond del Toro?

DarkImbecile

#4 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:11 pm

I remember thinking The Hunted was certainly imperfect, but it had a certain rawness to its style that felt increasingly rare even twenty years ago; Rules of Engagement I remember being more of a generic military-courtroom thriller with a jingoistic edge, but I remember that one far less clearly than Hunted

therewillbeblus

#5 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:51 pm

I've never really cared for Friedkin outside of his competent if superfluous remake Sorcerer, his last two features' full-measured perversity in faithfully adapting the madness of Letts, and my favorite: To Live and Die in L.A., a film that starts out deceptively as your average 80s synth crime thriller, and gradually reveals itself as a vulnerable core of fatalistic worldview bleeding through its characters and their relationships to systems. It's the best Michael Mann film that Mann never made in the 80s, an insane devolution of identity as synonymous with personhood when contending with vacuous moral institutions and intangible emotional stressors best left suppressed without a blueprint. In the Mann thread, I mentioned that this is a deeply cynical look at how humanity erodes as people acclimate to roles, and contrary to Mann's approach, I think the nebulous link between 'self' and ideological or ethical ideals is deliberately abstract and elusive. Where Mann might be more transparent about the segregation, these connections are presented arrhythmically, as existentially-agonizing fragmentations or in horrific fluidity that defies a humanistic progression we can identify with, and this unpredictable anti-pattern of characterization and person-in-environment moral-usurping only intensifies the audacious complexity of the work. Plus it's just a blast.

DarkImbecile

#6 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:14 pm

Sorcerer is my favorite; the extended prologues, the insane stunts and location shooting, the iconic score, and that perfectly bleak ending put it up there in the same stratosphere with the Clouzot for me. I haven't seen To Live and Die in L.A. since I was way too young to get anything beyond the basic action beats, but I've been meaning to revisit it; is there a definitive edition you would recommend?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#7 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:16 pm

Kino's supposed to be working on a 4K UHD release

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#8 Post by dekadetia » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:41 pm

Glad to see a dedicated thread for Hurricane Billy! Speaking of UHDs, The Exorcist turns 50 next year and I would have to assume a 4k resto is in the offing. It's perhaps a complicated film to slot into a reading of Friedkin's oeuvre given the freighted expectations set by the source material, the audience hysteria and the almost mythical status of the production itself — but it's certainly hard to imagine its particular viscerality coming from anyone else. It still bugs me that he caved to Blatty's wishes in re-editing for the 2000 re-release, but at least we've been getting both cuts side-by-side since then.

Mr Sausage

William Friedkin

#9 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:43 pm

I’m one of those boring sots who find Friedkin mostly uninteresting outside of his big two in the 70s and his weird final two features. To Live and Die in L.A., as ballsy and fascinating as it can be, never manages to overcome its cliches and borrowed style. It might’ve been a great film if it wasn’t so concerned with aping everything else popular at the time.

Cruising is such a bizarre movie. What is it even trying to do? It’s totally uninterested in its giallo plot. It shows no real concern for the actual process of police work. On the one hand, it can be warm and sympathetic to its gay subjects, showing the systemic abuses they suffer even at the hands of the police, the film’s putative heroes, and giving Pacino’s roomate a fair amount of time to reveal himself as a rounded, introspective, kind human being. But then it also treats gay people as objects of shock and horror, with their weird sex stuff, appalling leather, and alien habits. The scenes in the club are shot like a geek show—there to cause gasps and shivers from the straight tourists. And on top of that, it plays irresponsibly with the idea of gayness as a kind of infection. If you spend too much time in that world, it takes you over, or something. Like a lot of exploitation, the filmmakers hide behind claims of purely righteous moral intent, all while aiming their effects at the audience’s basest emotions. But yet, again, there is genuine sympathy present and rounded gay characters who are the farthest thing from caricature. Weird, weird movie.

I liked The Hunted. I haven’t seen it since maybe my teens, but I remember liking it as a unofficial remake of First Blood. There’s a rawness to its vision of men knife fighting as a primitive assertion of male selfhood.

beamish14

#10 Post by beamish14 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:52 pm

If his feature filmmaking career ends with Killer Joe, he will have made one of the greatest swan songs ever. It is rare to find a comedy that is simultaneously nauseating AND scary, but him and Tracy Letts pulled off something truly special with it

To Live and Die… is a perfect gem of a film. It’s amazing how great of an adaptation it is; in radically altering the fates of its two primary characters, it’s a far stronger and more bleak work. The scene with Chance and Vukovich in their unit briefing after their encounter with Thomas Ling, as the realization of the gravity of their mistake sets in, is perfection. The way John Pankow turns to William Petersen in silent terror, while Petersen is already calculating their next moves is a master class in acting for the cinema.

Friedkin really had a banner year in 1985 with To Live, his astonishingly intense episode of the first Twilight Zone television revival, Nightcrawlers, and his music video for Laura Branigan’s ”Self Control”, which the conservative at heart MTV decided to relegate to very late-time airings

Rampage, at least in its 1987 cut (I’ve never seen the version that was released in North America 5 years later), is a real endurance test. It’s not really a horror film or a thriller, but actually about how people try to survive after the trauma of brutality, and how rehabilitation may simply be impossible. It may well be his sole tearjerker

knives

#11 Post by knives » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:39 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:52 pm
If his feature filmmaking career ends with Killer Joe, he will have made one of the greatest swan songs ever. It is rare to find a comedy that is simultaneously nauseating AND scary, but him and Tracy Letts pulled off something truly special with it
Hate to tell you, but…

beamish14

#12 Post by beamish14 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:06 pm

knives wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:39 pm
beamish14 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:52 pm
Hate to tell you, but…
I should have said NARRATIVE feature, and this one’s a tad too short to really constitute a “feature”

therewillbeblus

#13 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:54 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:14 pm
Sorcerer is my favorite; the extended prologues, the insane stunts and location shooting, the iconic score, and that perfectly bleak ending put it up there in the same stratosphere with the Clouzot for me. I haven't seen To Live and Die in L.A. since I was way too young to get anything beyond the basic action beats, but I've been meaning to revisit it; is there a definitive edition you would recommend?
I should really revisit Sorcerer- it's been ages, and I remember next to nothing about the differences, but I also don't think the Clouzot is one of the Greatest Movies as many others do. It's a solid thriller with a nice setup of characterization, but of people without many redeeming or complication qualities to care about. So it's really just there to establish reason for the subsequent crushing of subjectively mythic projection into fallible man in the back half. I recall Friedkin's film being a leaner, sharper thriller, so maybe it's not superfluous if he's tightening things up and giving it a darker edge- again, if memory serves.

I have the Arrow blu-ray of To Live and Die in L.A. and I like it a lot. If you're upgrading to UHD, then maybe wait on swo's advice- it's a good looking film, and worth an upgrade if it's around the corner
Mr Sausage wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:43 pm
Cruising is such a bizarre movie. What is it even trying to do?
I tried to give this another chance about a month ago. Given my track record of 180-degree-turn revisits, it seemed worth a shot. I wanted it to be this weird mood piece that didn't hit right the first time, but that I fall in love with for how bizarre it is and get to have the experience of a pleasantly surprising re-evaluation, but then I did something I never, ever do- I turned it off after about 45 minutes. Usually by that point, even on a revisit, I push through, but I just couldn't take it anymore. Pacino's character alone is so alienating and not even in a self-conscious way, I just hated it. Not even worth appreciating as an interesting failure, just flavorless and painful to stomach.

beamish14

#14 Post by beamish14 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:32 am

Sorcerer has always been a personal favorite. I love the scope of it, as it takes time to hop across nations and show the evils of multinational corporations. I don’t think it’s *too* hyperbolic to say that Tangerine Dream’s score changed cinema forever. It certainly set the tone for electronic scores dominating the next decade.

therewillbeblus

#15 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:10 am

I feel like I've heard that argument for every Tangerine Dream score, but that's far from a complaint

tolbs1010

#16 Post by tolbs1010 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:52 am

DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:48 pm
Created on request for tolbs1010, who will now present his dissertation on why Rules of Engagement is the greatest film in Friedkin's oeuvre
Rules Of Engagement? Don't be silly. Everyone knows that Jade is the masterwork that this community has been clamoring to discuss at length.

What a random grab bag of films. Stage play adaptations, straightforward action pictures, a horror classic, a couple of attempts at comedy...Friedkin doesn't really fit the auteur model. Much more of a slick craftsman. David Thomson wrote that Friedkin is a director who is "convinced that the zoom and the insistent violence of unexpected images need only a raw feeling for sensation to outflank traditional requirements of construction and meaning." I think that's pretty spot on even if it is a bit dismissive and doesn't give any credit to Friedkin's willingness to go all out for unconventional and/or difficult material. And what's wrong with 'a raw feeling for sensation' once in a while?

What's interesting for me about Friedkin is that I like his 'failures' and forgotten films much more than the two big hits that made his name and fortune. The Exorcist is mercilessly effective though not very enjoyable for this viewer. But I've never understood the general praise and love for The French Connection. It looks, sounds, and plays like a TV movie in most scenes and it features one of Hackman's worst performances (Oscar schmoscar).

My top 5 Friedkin would be:

1) Cruising: It's just a riveting piece of filmmaking and I'm pleased that it has enjoyed a slight critical re-evaluation in recent years. The exacting compositions and editing, the locations, the night photography/lighting, the sweaty vividness of the club scenes, the outstanding soundtrack and how Friedkin uses it--it all contributes to a sustained mood of bleak edginess from start to finish. At the center of it is Pacino's gloriously uncomfortable performance. It's maybe the most muted, uncertain performance he has ever given, and yet it works because it mirrors the viewer's unresolved feeling about the character. Whether the film is coherent or not is certainly debatable. I view the ambiguity in it as purposeful and a strength.

2) Sorcerer: It takes balls to remake a perfect film like The Wages Of Fear, and it takes skills to up the ante in both excitement and thematic depth. The lengthy character development in the first hour gives us national, economic, political, and relationship details of the main characters--the kinds of details/attributes that society uses to create an individual's identity. That lengthy buildup makes the reversion to bare humanity/survival more meaningful as the characters' desperation and reliance on each other deepens with the escalating perilousness of their circumstances. The score is legendary, of course, and proves once again that Friedkin has a great feel for pairing music and images. The title is still baffling, though.

3) The Birthday Party: I blind bought this recently because I like Pinter and think it is one of his best plays. I was very skeptical that Friedkin would do it justice. To my pleasant surprise, he not only does the play justice, he finds every angle possible in the single setting (with just a couple of outdoor shots) to make it as intelligently cinematic as possible. Ultimately, it's an actor's piece, and Friedkin wisely let Pinter recruit actors that were familiar with his work. Sydney Tafler, an actor that I wasn't very familiar with, is AMAZING in his role. Patrick Magee is endlessly entertaining doing his tighly-wound suppressed intensity thing. Dandy Nichols is so effortless in conveying her character's battiness that one wonders if she had gone 'round the bend herself. Robert Shaw seems a bit miscast in the central role (feels like he could play Magee's role and vice versa) but it's a disciplined performance that allows Tafler and Magee to shine in the more entertaining roles. Friedkin loved the play and wanted to put a definitive performance of it on film. I think he succeeded. It rivals Peter Hall's The Homecoming as the best film of a Pinter play.

4) To Live And Die In L.A.: This one is neither a failure nor forgotten. It has a solid following. Yet, when I see the praise heaped on Michael Mann's crime films, especially the bloated and ridiculous Heat (which shares some of the same themes as TLADILA), it makes me wonder why this film isn't more appreciated. Choosing and utilizing locations to their fullest is a Friedkin strength, and I love how this film characterizes Los Angeles by shooting mostly in the day with a lot of bright colors--unusual for a crime film. The one thing I don't care for in this film is the car chase scene. Friedkin seems to be trying to recapture old glories and it just isn't that exciting or necessary.

5) Blue Chips: A favorite that I watched on cable many times as a teenager, when my basketball fandom was at its peak. The best movie ever about the corruption in college sports--I guess there aren't many contenders for that title, but the subject itself has become much more prominent since this film was released. It doesn't look as good as most Friedkin films--rather plain by his standards--but the basketball scenes are handled well (Friedkin was a baller himself in his younger days). A little too on-the-nose in parts, it still touches upon several themes that resonate beyond sports.

Honorable mentions:
The Night They Raided Minsky's: This is much more Norman Lear than William Friedkin, and apparently Ralph Rosenblum helped save this movie in the editing room. It's light, suggestive, and moves quickly like the burlesque/vaudeville shows that it fondly conjures. It's nothing special but it has a nice spirit.
The Boys In The Band: a solid, entertaining film of a somewhat thin, dated play.
The Hunted: Ridiculous yet it's lean enough to be compelling.

tolbs1010

#17 Post by tolbs1010 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:02 am

Aside from the handful of his films that I like, Friedkin has a candor and hubris in commentaries and interviews that I find entertaining. It's refreshing to hear something other than guarded modesty from a filmmaker and the usual praise and adulation for colleagues, collaborators, and other films. Here are some paraphrased samples of Friedkin quotes from commentaries and interviews that made me smile:

"Sorcerer would have been a hit if we'd had a real star instead of a second banana like Scheider" (I think Scheider is great in it, but I guess Friedkin wanted Steve McQueen)

"I'm glad he doesn't talk about it. Have you ever heard Pacino speak? Not very eloquent" - in response to Mark Kermode's question about why he thinks Pacino never mentions Cruising

"So I told Pinter to tell Joe Losey to go fuck himself"

"(Robert) Shaw never could beat me in a game of HORSE (shooting baskets) even though he showed up early every day to practice to try to beat me. Then we started playing ping pong every day and he never beat me at that. Not one time."

I like it when film people talk a little shit about other film people.

brundlefly

#18 Post by brundlefly » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:30 am

If you like hearing Friedkin talk, and you haven’t already, do check out Leap of Faith: William Friedkin on ‘The Exorcist’. It’s by Alexandre O. Philippe, who did the surprisingly good doc 78/52 on Psycho’s shower scene; unlike that one, it’s just one guy talking. Does a lot to redress Friedkin’s disappointing Exorcist disc commentary that mostly just described what was happening on-screen. Philippe keeps Friedkin away from visual effects talk and (a little weirdly) any discussion of Linda Blair to focus on inspiration (Magritte?) and intention but there’s of course anecdotes and some shit-talking.

(The “Masterclass” on the doc’s blu-ray is a Zoom call in which Friedkin’s level of engagement makes him seem about a thousand years old and unfortunately made me realize that – and do not open this spoiler box if you like hearing Friedkin talk, because it is something you cannot un-hear –
SpoilerShow
Friedkin, in both voice and tendency toward digression and exaggeration, can sound exactly like Donald Trump. There’s no end to what that man can ruin.
)

When I was in film school, Friedkin visited. The Guardian was about to be released and he screened it for us. It is a terrible film(*) and after it had finished there was polite the-filmmaker-is-here applause and then awkward silence. This was from the same person who’d made The Exorcist and The French Connection? Friedkin immediately launched into a story about the first time he’d met one of his film gods, how he’d acted a blithering idiot in the face of greatness, how all he could do was blurt compliments a la Chris Farley . His hero told him, “You should see my new one!” and invited him to his house for a screening; feeling chosen, he braced himself for a new masterpiece. Two hours later when the lights came up, he couldn’t think anything but, “How did such a talented guy make such an irredeemable piece of shit?”

(*) The booklet for the All the Haunts Be Ours box from Severin and Kier-La Janisse includes a short essay by writer Stephen Volk, who worked on The Guardian with both Sam Raimi and Friedkin, if you want some shit-talking from the other side. (“In one bold move, Friedkin said we weren’t going to give the audience the comfort of a motive for the child-snatching. “She just does it! Fuck them!”)

It was a masterful clearing of the air, and for the rest of the night he regaled us with possibly apocryphal making-of stories about his greatest hits that have either since been recorded for posterity or have been shelved for shinier or more legally acceptable tales. How the former head of the MTA now owned a bar on a Caribbean island that he’d bought with the bribe they’d paid him to sign off on the train chase in French Connection. How he’d brought in El Topo’s Gonzalo Gavira to foley on Exorcist and watched as he went about jumping on sleeping people and literally wringing their wallets. You’ve probably heard those. Friedkin talked far longer and far better than the feature he’d brought.

One memorable bit particular to that screening: During the Q&A one boy asked if, after he graduated, he should hold out for his dream project (film students, ha ha) or just take any available work. Friedkin boomed. “Take anything! Take whatever, if you’re lucky enough! If someone comes to you, if you meet someone, and they say, ‘We’re making a movie called Two Donkeys Fucking,’ you say, ‘I’M YOUR MAN!’”

My friends and I made “I’M YOUR MAN!” the response to any shit detail that came our way, and Two Donkeys Fucking became the go-to working title for just about everything.
Last edited by brundlefly on Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

beamish14

#19 Post by beamish14 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:34 am

As silly as Jade is (and I believe I’ve only seen the theatrical cut), I like how Friedkin delivered a slow car chase that almost seems to parody what he did in French Connection and To Live and Die… and which culminates in almost mowing down everyone at a San Francisco Chinatown parade. His sensibilities just don’t really jibe with Joe Eszterhaus’

The Brink’s Job is an inoffensive but kind of charmless film that tries to have the whimsy and class of The Sting but fails

Deal of the Century is incredibly painful. It’s so unfunny and visually flat. No chemistry between any of the actors, and its skewering of Cold War politics has no subtlety at all

beamish14

#20 Post by beamish14 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:46 am

brundlefly wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:30 am
If you like hearing Friedkin talk, and you haven’t already, do check out Leap of Faith: William Friedkin on ‘The Exorcist’. It’s by Alexandre O. Philippe, who did the surprisingly good doc 78/52 on Psycho’s shower scene; unlike that one, it’s just one guy talking. Does a lot to redress Friedkin’s disappointing Exorcist disc commentary that mostly just described what was happening on-screen. Philippe keeps Friedkin away from visual effects talk and (a little weirdly) any discussion of Linda Blair to focus on inspiration (Magritte?) and intention but there’s of course anecdotes and some shit-talking.

(The “Masterclass” on the doc’s blu-ray is a Zoom call in which Friedkin’s level of engagement makes him seem about a thousand years old and unfortunately made me realize that – and do not open this spoiler box if you like hearing Friedkin talk, because it is something you cannot un-hear –
SpoilerShow
Friedkin, in both voice and tendency toward digression and exaggeration, can sound exactly like Donald Trump. There’s no end to what that man can ruin.
)

When I was in film school, Friedkin visited. The Guardian was about to be released and he screened it for us. It is a terrible film(*) and after it had finished there was polite the-filmmaker-is-here applause and then awkward silence. This was from the same person who’d made The Exorcist and The French Connection? Friedkin immediately launched into a story about the first time he’d met one of his film gods, how he’d acted a blithering idiot in the face of greatness, how all he could do was blurt compliments a la Chris Farley . His hero told him, “You should see my new one!” and invited him to his house for a screening; feeling chosen, he braced himself for a new masterpiece. Two hours later when the lights came up, he couldn’t think anything but, “How did such a talented guy make such an irredeemable piece of shit?”

(*) The booklet for the All the Haunts Be Ours box from Severin and Kier-La Janisse includes a short essay by writer Stephen Volk, who worked on The Guardian with both Sam Raimi and Friedkin, if you want some shit-talking from the other side. (“In one bold move, Friedkin said we weren’t going to give the audience the comfort of a motive for the child-snatching. “She just does it! Fuck them!”)

It was a masterful clearing of the air, and for the rest of the night he regaled us with possibly apocryphal making-of stories about his greatest hits that have either since been recorded for posterity or have been shelved for shinier or more legally acceptable tales. How the former head of the MTA now owned a bar on a Caribbean island that he’d bought with the bribe they’d paid him to sign off on the train chase in French Connection. How he’d brought in El Topo’s Gonzalo Gavira to foley on Exorcist and watched as he went about jumping on sleeping people and literally wringing their wallets. You’ve probably heard those. Friedkin talked far longer and far better than the feature he’d brought.

One memorable bit particular to that screening: During the Q&A one boy asked if, after he graduated, he should hold out for his dream project (film students, ha ha) or just take any available work. Friedkin boomed. “Take anything! Take whatever, if you’re lucky enough! If someone comes to you, if you meet someone, and they say, ‘We’re making a movie called Two Donkeys Fucking,’ you say, ‘I’M YOUR MAN!’”

My friends and I made “I’M YOUR MAN!” the response to any shit detail that came our way, and Two Donkeys Fucking became the go-to working title for just about everything.

Those are some amazing sound bites. You cannot accuse the man of not being a very entertaining raconteur

Regarding The Guardian, on his commentary for the Anchor Bay disc (which was not ported to Shout Factory’s Blu-Ray), he mentions being attracted to the story because one of his sons with Sherry Lansing was briefly abducted by a nanny they had (!)

Mr Sausage

#21 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:03 am

My take on Jade from elsewhere on the forum:
Sausage wrote:This was a mistake (My decision to watch it? The decision to make it? Both!). David Caruso plays a police detective who, in a fit of fancy, tells everyone he’s an Assistant District Attorney. He’s really not, tho’, because he chases down suspects, assists in arrests, gets called to murder scenes so he can gather evidence and discuss the crime, and other things an ADA wouldn't do. If giallos of the 70’s an 80’s suffered from a ‘who the hell is that?’ problem in their reveals, 90’s thrillers suffer from a ‘it could just as well be anyone else’ problem, because everything is so equivocal that it’s arbitrary who the culprit finally is. This is one of those films that’s supposed to be sexy, lurid, and propulsive, with people’s baser motives being drawn out into a palpable psychosexual atmosphere. As it is, there’s nothing sexy, lurid, or atmospheric; it feels contrived and too controlled, with plenty of clichés and boring, poorly acted characters.

tolbs1010

#22 Post by tolbs1010 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:51 am

brundlefly wrote:

That's some great stuff. I can hear Friedkin saying it with total conviction. Sounds much more lively and entertaining than the couple of Director Q&As I've attended. I went to one with Stephen Frears, and he was so guarded and generic that it was a total snooze. It doesn't help that at these types of events the moderators and audience typically ask fawning, lame questions.
I will check out that Phillipe doc.
Last edited by tolbs1010 on Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

beamish14

#23 Post by beamish14 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:04 am

tolbs1010 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:51 am
brundlefly wrote:

That's some great stuff. I can hear Friedkin saying it with total conviction. Sounds much more lively and entertaining than the couple of Director Q&As I've attended. I went to one with Stephen Frears, and he was so guarded and generic that it was a total snooze. It doesn't help that at these types of events the moderators and audience typically ask fawning, lame questions.
I will check out that Phillipe book.

If you haven’t read it, I highly recommend Segaloff’s Hurricane Billy, too. It ends right as The Guardian was entering pre-production, but it’s incredibly entertaining, and goes into facets of his personal and professional life that are completely omitted from his autobiography, like his marriage to Jeanne Moreau and the well-publicized paternity suit he dealt with in the 70’s. Great anecdotes about working with Hitchcock as well

tolbs1010

#24 Post by tolbs1010 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:27 am

Might check that out from the library. His marriage to Moreau is definitely a wtf how did that happen?

therewillbeblus

#25 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:54 pm

I revisited Sorcerer this weekend, and though my LB rating remained the same, I was surprised to come away with a very different impression of its strengths than memory served. What I recalled was a more economically-conceived thriller with emphasis on style instead of character- which is more or less true- but in different arenas. The first half's setup, which I thought I remembered Friedkin making leaner, actually takes up about half the film! And it is so much more involving and interesting than its predecessor's pre-trip first act, well-constructed and intricate in weaving together the prelude stories into the filtered gathering in exile. Friedkin seems to be operating without the moral endgame that The Wages of Fear did through engaging us in a simplified diagnostic of primarily two characters' dynamic drawing shallow traits evoking toughness and earned respect. Friedkin understands this to be the weakest component of the narrative, and knowingly engages in just as shallow waters without allowing the approach to cheapen what he's trying to do- instead opting for a more clinical direction that's more polished and refined, if cooler and aloof by design. The strategy serves the film much better. Unfortunately, the first film is far more suspenseful for drawing out the 'journey' part of the film in more detail and with more memorable hurdles. whereas Sorcerer's action fell flatter for me in the remake, aside from some moments of pulsating score and effective shot choices. The slow-burn suspense of the original was perfect, and opportunities to best it- like with the bridge scenes in Sorcerer- don't work on the same wavelength of sensational thrills, and are more conceptually beautiful. Shots like one man kneeling before the truck are wall-worthy though, but a poster of the still doesn't match the effective tension of many stills in motion.