Alejandro González Iñárritu

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Alejandro González Iñárritu

#26 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:31 pm

Roscoe wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:25 pm
Guy writing two-line dismissals of one-line dismissals jests about a lack of self-awareness....
Would you prefer one of us write an essay about what you're doing wrong?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#27 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:34 pm

This thread has been very cool so far!

stevewhamola

#28 Post by stevewhamola » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:35 pm

I
got
lines
for
days.

Roscoe

#29 Post by Roscoe » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:49 pm

swo17 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:31 pm
Roscoe wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:25 pm
Guy writing two-line dismissals of one-line dismissals jests about a lack of self-awareness....
Would you prefer one of us write an essay about what you're doing wrong?
Couldn't be any less interesting than Inarritu's BABEL, BIRDMAN or REVENANT. Or maybe it could. Sorry to distract. Moving on.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#30 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:50 pm

This is indeed a good time to move on, because one more of those posts designed to further provoke one or more moderators here is probably not going to have the result you want

Slaphappy

#31 Post by Slaphappy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:13 am

I’ve seen only Amores Perros, The Revenant and Birdman, so I assosiate Inarritu mostly with movies, that are excessively grinding and raw emotionally. Birdman was a pleasant surprise, as it seemed to deal with this desire to get your guts wrenched by stuff that makes you hatefull or anxious and especially how producing that stuff seems to be the measure of a true artist. I loved how Birdman used absurd humor and magical realism and hope Inarritu would use those tools more. Birdman is also one of top movies that really makes me happy to have witnessed this era of movie making and it’s technical possibilities. It’s masterfully executed.

furbicide

#32 Post by furbicide » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:13 pm

I haven't seen anything post-Babel (of that early trilogy, I share Persona's views from page one pretty much precisely), but Birdman is on my to-watch list, and looks like something genuinely different and interesting (I'm actually kind of astounded that it won an Oscar for best film – seems far more experimental and left-field than most contenders).

Interesting to read in that DGA article about his working relationship with Cuarón and del Toro, each of whom are also interesting but often frustrating and disappointing directors. While he may not be associated with that clique, I feel like fourth musketeer Carlos Reygadas (arguably the only other twenty-first-century Mexican director of comparable international standing, right?) shares more than a few sensibilities and has a much higher batting average to boot.

wattsup32

#33 Post by wattsup32 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:44 pm

Watched Biutiful, which was the last of Innaritu's films I had left to see. In many ways his most mature and human film. You can see some of the technical and formalistic groundwork being laid for Birdman which is surprising because the two films couldn't be less alike. Though a total bummer of a film that I would be hard-pressed to want to watch again, that is mostly because of how effective it is conveying the desperate lives of almost every character given more than 2 minutes of screen time. Ultimately, it is about beauty in hopelessness and the role of a moral center plays in dire circumstances. Some superb performances.

I can't image a worse time to watch this than in a pandemic, so wait a bit if you haven't seen it yet and want to.

Mr Sheldrake

#34 Post by Mr Sheldrake » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:05 pm

Entertaining 25 minute video of Inatrritu in the Video Club (in English) ala the Criterion Closet. He’s really funny and enthusiastic.
https://youtu.be/OEo5KmlElxI

knives

#36 Post by knives » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:49 pm

That’s really exciting. I was just reading an article about Cruise wanting to do things in addition to his recent action films and this should be exciting for that.

therewillbeblus

#37 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:58 pm

Yeah, really curious how he responds to aging. I'm predicting an exit from the MI action world after this next installment and a return to more complex roles like Magnolia