It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: David Gordon Green
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:49 am 

Mod note: Proper lead post TK

mfunk9786 wrote:
When I saw Garden State for the first time, I did not guess in a million years, say what you will about that (unfairly trampled upon) film, that this is the trajectory that Braff's career would take.

Similarly, I don't understand how David Gordon Green went from George Washington to Your Highness.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:27 pm 

Ick. Well, Zach Braff reportedly remains wealthy from syndication royalties off his sitcom, but if you read Green's interviews for his pre-studio films, a frustration is definitely there - when you make film after film for peanuts and every single one still manages to lose money despite the good press, I can't blame Green for going a different route.

Post subject: David Gordon Green
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:49 am 

hearthesilence wrote:
Ick. Well, Zach Braff reportedly remains wealthy from syndication royalties off his sitcom, but if you read Green's interviews for his pre-studio films, a frustration is definitely there - when you make film after film for peanuts and every single one still manages to lose money despite the good press, I can't blame Green for going a different route.

Also, Pineapple Express is legitimately one of the best studio comedies of the last several years, and it looks terrific from a visual perspective. It's not like his talent has disappeared.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:57 am 

You are stretching the meaning of the word "several." Pineapple Express came out eight years ago. George Bush was still President. You are old.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:01 pm 

If you had a gun to my head I would've said it was like three years old. Jesus.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:04 pm 

Hot Fuzz is my pick for the best comedy of the last 10 years

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:09 pm 

Hot Fuzz is even older--just two months shy of 10 years old. We are all *this* close to starring in Zach Braff's next movie.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:37 pm 

Roger Ryan wrote:
By the way, if folks want to see some recent good work being done by David Gordon Green, check out the two seasons of Amazon's 80s period comedy Red Oaks. The second season (just recently uploaded) also features five episodes directed by Hal Hartley and a couple each by Greg Araki and Amy Heckerling.

Hartley and Heckling also directed episodes in the first season (with Hartley doing one and Heckling doing two, including the very '80s body-switch episode which was pitched by executive producer Steven Soderbergh as a story they should do).

Green has actually been very prolific - he had two features released last year alone, neither of which I've seen but both with high profile stars.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:11 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Avoid Manglehorn twice as hard as you're already avoiding Going in Style

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:21 pm 

Shouldn't that apply to about 70% of Green's theatrical work?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:37 pm 

George Washington is great, Pineapple Express and Prince Avalanche are good, Joe is fine, The Sitter is shit. Haven't seen the rest, but the rest are three low budget indies, three badly received studio films.

Post subject: Re: David Gordon Green
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:03 pm 

It should also be emphasized that Red Oaks really belongs to Greg Jacobs (Soderbergh's long-time right-hand man) and Joe Gangemi, they're the show runners. Remember what David Cronenberg said about TV - directors are mainly traffic cops. There are exceptions (The Knick, the new upcoming season of Twin Peaks, Scorsese's pilot for Vinyl), but for the most part, Cronenberg is right and with Red Oaks the director's role is no exception.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:31 am 

I quite liked "Manglehorn," actually. Certainly Pacino's best work in quite a while. But I'm not sure Green will ever again reach the heights of his introductory quartet of "George Washington," "All the Real Girls," "Undertow," and "Snow Angels."

Last edited by MoonlitKnight on Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:21 am 

hearthesilence wrote:
It should also be emphasized that Red Oaks really belongs to Greg Jacobs (Soderbergh's long-time right-hand man) and Joe Gangemi, they're the show runners. Remember what David Cronenberg said about TV - directors are mainly traffic cops...

Agreed. In retrospect, I should have said that Red Oaks is consistently good work and some notable directors are associated with that work.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:25 am 

swo17 wrote:
You are stretching the meaning of the word "several."

"More than two but not many". Never would have guessed that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:05 am 

MoonlitKnight wrote:
I quite liked "Manglehorn," actually. Certainly Pacino's best work in quite a while. But I'm not sure Green will ever again reach the heights of his introductory quartet of "George Washington," "All the Real Girls," "Undertow," and "Snow Angels."

Adding Snow Angels to this post is maybe this forum's most tragic use of the Edit button I've ever seen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:43 am 

The only thing I remember from that movie is the funny speech Tom Noonan gives as a high school band teacher. And I'm pretty sure the rest of it is straight drama, which makes it a little odd.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:36 pm 

Green's next movie will be a new entry in the Halloween series, cowritten by him and Danny McBride, with John Carpenter and Blumhouse producing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:37 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Well, we all saw that coming. Typical predictable DGG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:41 pm 

Well, remember when he was trying to remake Suspiria?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:29 pm 

Big fan of David Gordon Green. I like his smaller indy films, as well as his much "bigger" Hollywood flicks.

George Washington, All the Real Girls, Undertow, and Snow Angels were all amazing.

I was amused by The Sitter - hilarious movie. Some may not realize this, but the film was a pseudo-remake of the 1987 comedy Adventures in Babysitting.

The Pineapple Express was also very funny - in parts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:37 am 

I have been asking for years why Snow Angels was the one that split Green fans before his went full blown studio. I thought it was in line with his debut and everything leading up to it so why is it such a divisive film? the closest I ever came to an explanation was that it was pretty forced drama but I don't completely buy that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:02 am 
Dot Com Dom

We have a thread for it here, perhaps it will provide more info

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:05 pm 

Jamie Lee Curtis returning to the Halloween franchise for Green's new film