Robert Altman

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
viciousliar

#76 Post by viciousliar » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:16 pm

Does anybody know if a candidate is automatically rendered ineligible if he has received The Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award, as Bergman did in 1970?
If not, it's a shame that Altman gets honored before Bergman, who's in ill-health.

Barmy

#77 Post by Barmy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:20 pm

Bergman doesn't need this bullshit. Trotting out old directors before they die to get this thing is just embarrassing. I'm still trying to forget about the Antonioni appearance, particularly that horrific montage they showed where they tried to find all the "exciting" shots from his oeuvre, and took most of them from Zabriskie Point, his diatribe against the USA.

zedz

#78 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:43 pm

Barmy wrote:Bergman doesn't need this bullshit. Trotting out old directors before they die to get this thing is just embarrassing.
You'd think that in weighing up the embarrassment of this kind of last-minute fig leaf and the embarrassment of having ignored these people throughout their entire career, the Academy would decide that it's better to maintain a dignified silence (Alfred who?). Oh well, at least it gives Scorsese something to look forward to on his deathbed.

Fletch F. Fletch

#79 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:48 am

From DavisDVD:
And finally, due on April 25th is The Robert Altman Collection, a four-disc set with the films MASH (single disc), A Perfect Couple, Quintet and A Wedding. All feature anamorphic transfers and trailers. Extras include commentary, AMC Backstory featurette, still gallery (MASH); "Perspective on Altman's Perfect Couple," "Developing the World of Quintet" and "A Wedding Altman Style" featurettes. Retail is $34.98.

Lino

#80 Post by Lino » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:09 am

Fantastic news! Now my 70's Altman collection will be (almost) complete!

jorencain

#81 Post by jorencain » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:43 am

That is great news. I've been chomping at the bit to see "A Wedding" for a few years now. I haven't heard to much about "A Perfect Couple", but I'm always excited for more Altman. I'm still holding my breath for "Brewster McCloud" though.

Fletch F. Fletch

#82 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:22 pm

jorencain wrote:That is great news. I've been chomping at the bit to see "A Wedding" for a few years now. I haven't heard to much about "A Perfect Couple", but I'm always excited for more Altman. I'm still holding my breath for "Brewster McCloud" though.
Yeah. They should've dropped MASH (as it already available in a nice 2-DVD edition) and put Brewster in there.

Lino

#83 Post by Lino » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:44 pm

Brewster is Warner's. And Warner as from the last chat, didn't express much will in releasing it anytime soon.

I would love to own Brewster on DVD but I'm glad that while waiting for the inevitable announcement, I've got a TV taped copy in its correct AR. Wonderful film too!

Hrossa

#84 Post by Hrossa » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:52 pm

Wow, great news!

Now the only 70's Altman waiting for DVD will be Brewster McCloud and Thieves Like Us.

Harold Gervais

#85 Post by Harold Gervais » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:25 pm

Hrossa wrote:Wow, great news!

Now the only 70's Altman waiting for DVD will be Thieves Like Us.
That's probably coming. The region 2 was released via MGM several months ago.

whipsilk

#86 Post by whipsilk » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:36 pm

But there's still way too much Altman unreleased. Maybe the AA recognition will stimulate some of these:
- Countdown
- That Cold Day in the Park
- Brewster McCloud (if not Warner's, then why not Criterion?)
- Health (c'mon, SOMEONE)
- Come Back to the 5 and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean
- Streamers (PLEASE!)
- Two by South (tv)
- The Laundromat (tv)
- The Dumb Waiter/The Room (tv)
- The Caine Mutiny Court Martial (tv - that this is missing is a travesty)

I'm counting as "released" properly aspect-ratio-ed editions published in the UK (what, you don't have an all-region player yet?), not counting pan-n-scan abominations published in places like Spain and the Netherlands. I'm glad to finally see Quintet, however.

I suspect MASH is in the box set to help it sell -- at least it's a familiar title to some movie-goers (unlike, say, A Perfect Couple, which will elicit a resounding "wha?" from all too many buyers).

Polybius

#87 Post by Polybius » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:24 pm

whipsilk wrote: - The Caine Mutiny Court Martial (tv - that this is missing is a travesty)
Starring the great, gone-too-soon Brad Davis. I recommend it, as well.

Is the Fox documentary Altman: On His Own Terms that used to run on FMC all the time available? It's pretty close to Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures in terms of thoroughness and quality.

hearthesilence

#88 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:48 am

At least Altman is still fit and mentally sharp. Didn't Truffaut write something in his Hitchcock book about the AFI award and how Hitchcock wasn't in the best shape when he accepted it?

As for Antonioni's clip show, I remember Chuck Jones trashing the clip show he got. I missed it, but he complained it was poorly edited.

I think Stanley Donen's honorary Oscar was probably the best one to see because he did a nimble, graceful little dance; his acceptance speech was probably the most lively one that night.

I wish Robert Mitchum got one before he passed. I'm glad Kirk Douglas got one. Remember that one? It came right after his stroke, and I really admire the guy for going out there to accept it.

marty

#89 Post by marty » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:56 am

Favourite Altman film - McCabe and Mrs Miller

exte

#90 Post by exte » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:21 pm

Nashville

Jeff

#91 Post by Jeff » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:18 pm

whipsilk wrote: - Brewster McCloud (if not Warner's, then why not Criterion?)
- Health (c'mon, SOMEONE)
Warner holds the rights to Brewster McCloud and does not license to third parties. A Criterion version simply won't happen, but I suspect that Warner will eventually come around. They hold the rights to Countdown as well.

Health is owned by Fox, and I'm surprised that they didn't include it in the upcoming box. They could have, perhaps, licensed it to Anchor Bay or Criterion for later release.

I believe that Paramount may have Jimmy Dean and That Cold Day in the Park.

justeleblanc

#92 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:11 pm

Hi-- I'm confused to the order that Altman made his films. Was HealtH filmed and edited before or after Popeye?

hearthesilence

#93 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:12 pm

I agree, Nashville.

dx23

#94 Post by dx23 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:48 am

From dvdactive.com:
Title: Robert Altman Collection
Starring: N/A (Various)
Released: 25th April 2006
SRP: $39.98

Further Details:

Fox Home Entertainment has sent over the artwork for the new Robert Altman Collection which includes a single-disc release of Mash, A Perfect Couple, Quintet and A Wedding. Each film will be presented in anamorphic widescreen, along with English Stereo tracks. Extras on Mash will include a commentary with Robert Altman, an AMC Backstory Featurette, a Still Gallery and the Theatrical Trailer. The remaining three titles will each include a making of featurette and the theatrical trailer. You'll be able to own this new collection from the 25th April, priced at around $39.98. We've attached the official package artwork below:
Box artwork here . I'm dissapointed that the documentary/retrospective Altman on Altman, which is shown on Fox Movie Channel every now and then, is not included in this release.

Lino

#95 Post by Lino » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:09 pm

I don't really like the artwork for the boxset. Why couldn't they have used something like this image below and be away with it?

Lino

#96 Post by Lino » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:20 pm

What's up with this? A 204 minute (PAL) version of Vincent and Theo?

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Bro ... on-2).html

The R1 DVD lists it at 140 minutes (NTSC) but the difference between both times is pretty big. What gives? Was there a longer version of this film ever released?

Fletch F. Fletch

#97 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:04 pm

Annie Mall wrote:What's up with this? A 204 minute (PAL) version of Vincent and Theo?

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Bro ... on-2).html

The R1 DVD lists it at 140 minutes (NTSC) but the difference between both times is pretty big. What gives? Was there a longer version of this film ever released?
If memory serves, I believe it was aired as a mini-series on TV in Europe. So that may explain the large difference in running times. But I haven't been able to track down any credible info on if this is actually the case.

justeleblanc

#98 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:03 pm

i can't seem to find this on any of the links anywhere, but will the upcoming altman collection (and the mel brooks collection) also be available separately... or only as the box?

Lino

#99 Post by Lino » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:40 am

justeleblanc wrote:will the upcoming altman collection be available separately... or only as the box?
I think noone knows for sure right now. Maybe they will be available individually once the boxset starts to sell in lesser quantities. I mean, we don't even know how the rest of the titles (except MASH) look like because no individual cover art has been provided yet.

justeleblanc

#100 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:17 pm

I've made a list of the 9 Robert Altman films that are not available on DVD. I've attempted to say who might hold the rights, if I'm wrong please let me know. I didn't include his stage works such as the operas or the Pinters.

Countdown (1968) ??
That Cold Day in the Park (1969) ??
Brewster McCloud (1970) (Warner)
Thieves Like Us (1974) (Sony)
HealtH (1980) (Fox)
Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982) ??
Streamers (1983) (Sony)
Jazz '34 (1996) ??
Cookie's Fortune (1999) ??