The 1978 Mini-List

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: The 1978 Mini-List

#51 Post by swo17 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:40 am

The Scenic Route (Mark Rappaport)
To some extent this has the look and feel of an objectively bad movie, but I'd say it rises above that label through sheer dedication to its aesthetic. Not unlike Perceval I suppose, the film takes its artificiality as a given, doesn't apologize for it, and simply proceeds to chart out its own path. Some may view this as a handicap, its strangeness dismissed as being of lesser quality simply for being different. But that's only true if you ascribe value to familiarity. I count it as a strength, allowing for so many novel visual ideas that could never occur in a more traditional cinematic landscape. I think this has value both as its own thing, and in the way it might prompt one to question more generally which rules are vital to the form, and which ones are the most exciting when they're broken

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#52 Post by swo17 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:42 am

American Boy (Martin Scorsese)
Steven Prince turned up in small roles in Taxi Driver and New York, New York, and scenes from this film directly influenced both Pulp Fiction and Waking Life. He's a frightening but affable figure, telling wild tales from a life on the edge running perpendicular to the subject of Portrait of Jason

brundlefly

#53 Post by brundlefly » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:20 pm

ImageImage

When swo left “The Absent-Minded Waiter” off 1977’s eligible films list, I figured he was either being thematically appropriate or had gone to the Bahamas, for a moment. But this month’s omission of the legendary KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park was an enticing Scooby-style “DANGER! KEEP OUT!” sign for this curious meddler. (I’ve also had an unwatched bootleg DVD in a box for forever, so.)

In a week when a music act lords atop the box office, in an era when superhero movies have rewired the entire industry into a fandom-driven TV-moviescape, here’s a window into a simpler and perhaps even more awful time. Produced by Hanna-Barbera on the cheap, aired on NBC as a Halloween special, and released theatrically in Europe, KMPP is a promotional project often missing what it’s promoting and a vanity project endearingly made without self-awareness.

Scenario’s easy enough: Super-powered face-painted rock band KISS is going to play a few concerts at an amusement park. But park mastermind mad scientist Abner Devereaux (Anthony Zerbe), who has been disappearing customers and House of Waxng them(*) into androids – He makes them mime! And sing barber shop harmonies! What terrible evil lurks in his heart! – is robbed of his funding and then his position. He decides to make copies of KISS and use them to tear down the place he helped build.

(*) A process kept entirely offscreen. Some people may have been hacked to pieces, some androids seem to be made from scratch, at least one human is controlled by a transistor-bedazzled Band-Aid. It was probably best for network standards that the goings-on remain opaque, probably best for us as well. When Devereaux screams about being “at a crucial point in my work!” and we’re not shown any kind of point, crucial or no, he sounds truly mad. Zerbe sadly shies from camp; though there are wisecracks galore – script’s littered with cat puns – everyone involved adopts the sort of comic book earnestness that, when delivered from ten-inch platform boots, seems small.

KISS gets their superpowers from their talismans (everyone knows this), which look like decorated cookies and are protected by a cosmic force field. (“Pretty mystical!”) What are KISS’ powers? Paul Stanley (“Starchild”) uses his star-eye to shoot intermittent lasers on which he can then somehow walk and also has undefined psychic powers. Ace Frehley (“Spaceman,” which is a totally different thing from a “Starchild”) can shoot continuous lasers, teleport, and nyuck-nyuck like Curly Joe from the Three Stooges. Gene Simmons (“Demon”) breathes fire, speaks in reverb, and roars like a jungle cat. Peter Criss (“Catman”) sings the group’s hit ballad, “Beth,” to a woman named “Melissa.” (In another scene, Melissa wanders around while we hear KISS’ “Christine Sixteen.”)

They also all maybe have super strength and can maybe fly. Special effects never rise above those of contemporary TV superhero counterparts like Electra Woman and Dyna Girl and CBS’ Amazing Spider-Man. Richard Donner’s Superman boasted this same year that you would believe a man could fly; KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park makes no such promise.

KISS also share the superpower of not being in this very much and not doing much when they are. Sure, there’s concert footage, some of it even passing as synched, and we hear several songs (including “Rock and Roll All Nite,” twice), though there’s also a pretty busy score by someone else. (Someone who thinks ‘70s action scene funk can be part of KISS’ vibe.) But after being superimposed over the opening credits, they’re missing from the first third of the film. We spend that with middle-aged juvenile delinquents, a pair of separated lovers, and various park personnel. There’s a lot of dubbed-over b-roll footage; KMPP was shot at California’s Magic Mountain and that name is occasionally visible, but perhaps the abduction aspect and the bits about the movie park’s dire finances and dialogue like, “Of COURSE things malfunction! Every new piece of equipment has a shakedown period! That’s to find the bugs!” dissuaded Magic Mountain ownership from seeking sponsorship opportunity. Sometimes the movie seems to be trying to sell us on the idea of An Amusement Park. Look how much fun everyone is having before KISS gets there! (Magic Mountain was sold to Six Flags the year after this aired.)

All together KISS speaks maybe five minutes of dialogue, every second of it platinum, most of it collected in this fine compilation. (It’s missing my favorite: “Hey! Something’s wrong!”) They don’t even get to say the triumphant final line. (“He created KISS to destroy KISS. And he lost.”) And while the musicians do double duty as KISS imposters, when they battle monkey-cat robots and Universal monster robots and lightsaber-wielding kung fu robots and of course KISS imposter robots they are also obviously doubled by stunt men. One of the benefits of being a band that leads with greasepaint is that all may apply.

Which is a shame because, after teasing themes about changing mores (Devereaux bemoans the removal of family-friendly attractions and says things like, “I’ll make good Americans of you yet!”) and self-actualization (“Too bad everybody doesn’t have a talisman.” “But they do! They just haven’t realized it.”), in the end this movie about missing people is about the power of showing up. Melissa needs her abducted fiancée to show up so she has someone to eventually marry, the park needs the KISS fanbase to show up to save it, and the KISS fanbase needs the real KISS to show up to rock them. No one’s saving the world, just an amusement park. But while just showing up might prove plenty for a more modestly appointed Queens-based comic book-loving band, when you’re gussied up in cosmic superpowers and fightin’ ‘bots and, most importantly, trying to act, you show us everything you've got.
Last edited by brundlefly on Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#54 Post by swo17 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:26 pm

I've now added both films, please forgive my absent-mindedness.

Gates of Heaven (Errol Morris)
There are certain parts of life that science can prove and/or for which society has otherwise established a majority consensus answer. Then there are other areas we can't know for certain, and that not even religion has prioritized to answer, leaving those with a vested interest completely on their own to sculpt a reality that likely bears much in common with their desires. Do all dogs really go to heaven? I sure hope mine does, so why not, etc. Remember a time when people could share the worldviews that get them through the day, and even their more out-there beliefs just seemed endearingly quaint? Fortunately Morris's debut still retains that feeling

The Fanciful Norwegian

#55 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:11 pm

Here's a difficult case: Grasshopper recently released The Cramps and the Mutants: The Napa State Tapes, which combines videotaped footage of a 1978 gig by the eponymous bands with a 2021 documentary on the same. The Cramps performance, or at least the bulk of it, was released on home video in 1981; the Mutants performance was apparently never previously released. Would the concert footage be considered a 1978 film, or 1981, or 2021, or some combination of these?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#56 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:28 pm

I think I'd be inclined to call both of them 1978 (note that Letterboxd puts the Cramps film there)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#57 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:56 am

King of the Gypsies (Frank Pierson)
Basically The Godfather for New York gypsy culture, with Sterling Hayden in the Brando role. This was pretty surprising. I want to say the whole concept felt fake and a bit exploitative but supposedly it was based on real undercover reporting so what do I know. Peter Bogdanovich was originally pegged to direct but it ultimately ended up with Pierson (A Star Is Born, Conspiracy) and Sven Nykvist behind the camera. Interesting to see Susan Sarandon and Brooke Shields play a mother and daughter here the same as in Pretty Baby from earlier in the year

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#58 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:59 pm

Le Vent des amoureux (Albert Lamorisse)
The only feature missing from Criterion's upcoming Lamorisse set. It largely consists of aerial footage of Iran and is narrated by "the lovers' wind." Supposedly Lamorisse was happy with the film as he'd shot it (more focused on history and nature) but was pressured by Iranian officials who had commissioned it to return and capture some of their more modern technological accomplishments, including a large dam. He died in a helicopter accident while shooting this footage, which provides the film with a rather sobering epilogue

Shrew
The Untamed One

#59 Post by Shrew » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:34 pm

Is Donen's Movie Movie eligible for 78 (per imdb and letterboxd) or 79 (per the Scorpion blu)? If it's too late to add, I can live with that, as it's probably sitting toward the bottom of my list. But it's worth a look, odd duck that it is. Sort of pitched as a parody of 30s programmers, it's more an earnest recreation of 30s dramas and musicals with light parodic flourishes, only rarely winking at itself (until the endings of both films, which go very broad). It gets the weird mish-mash of tones and whiplash plotting you could get in 30s cheapies, but its faux-Odets dialogue is often too cute or, remarkably, sold too convincingly by the actors, undercutting some of the comic energy. Still, credit must be given to Donen and especially the cast, who do much better job of nailing the feel of that era's editing and acting style than most imitators (*cough*Mank*cough*), even if it is odd seeing this older approach rearranged for widescreen and a deeper focus.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#60 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:05 am

A Wedding (Robert Altman)
One straight thrust, followed by a series of similar thrusts.

Shrew wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:34 pm
Is Donen's Movie Movie eligible for 78 (per imdb and letterboxd) or 79 (per the Scorpion blu)? If it's too late to add, I can live with that, as it's probably sitting toward the bottom of my list. But it's worth a look, odd duck that it is. Sort of pitched as a parody of 30s programmers, it's more an earnest recreation of 30s dramas and musicals with light parodic flourishes, only rarely winking at itself (until the endings of both films, which go very broad). It gets the weird mish-mash of tones and whiplash plotting you could get in 30s cheapies, but its faux-Odets dialogue is often too cute or, remarkably, sold too convincingly by the actors, undercutting some of the comic energy. Still, credit must be given to Donen and especially the cast, who do much better job of nailing the feel of that era's editing and acting style than most imitators (*cough*Mank*cough*), even if it is odd seeing this older approach rearranged for widescreen and a deeper focus.
It looks like it got a fair amount of awards attention in 1978 following an opening in NYC so I'd put it in this year. More generally, I can make a film eligible up until the last day of voting, though obviously the sooner you mention something the more likely others are to fit it into their viewing schedules

knives

#61 Post by knives » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:23 am

Image The roughest, toughest, and most terrifying western of the year stars an adorable little lamb. Ringing Bell is all about violence begetting violence with innocence destroyed and the lead character’s search to become that which hurt him. Ostensibly a children’s film, and I think I must have seen a dub of it on VHS, this short feature forefronts these and other mature themes to devastating effect.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#62 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:39 pm

Veredas [Paths] (João César Monteiro)

I had this to say during the last '70s project:
A tour through Portuguese history by way of presumably symbolic encounters and poetry recitations, somewhat in the vein of The Travelling Players. It would likely mean more to a native, and I need to watch it again to feel a little more qualified to say what's going on, but for now, man, what a gorgeous looking film!
I've since seen this two more times and still can't say that I fully understand it, but I think that's okay. It's not really telling a story so much as conveying a fairly dense, eloquent poem, jumping occasionally between the modern day and an ancient time of mythmaking. Some of the characters are embarked on something of an Odyssean quest, which contrasts with a story told early in the film, of a landowner and his donkey who see a robber approaching to take the man's land. The donkey tells his owner to flee while he stays behind, as he'll carry the same load on his back regardless, and there's no point traveling a great distance only to end up in the same place. "Men weave their fate decisively, for some a life of song, for others a life of tears." Some of the lines go by sorta fast, and I found myself pausing and rewinding a lot during my latest viewing to let some of them sink in. I liked this one for instance: "What's a face but a crust of gaping earth if it's not exposed to another face that endures it, to hands that toil and soothe it?" with its allusion to the same earth that forms the paths of the film's title.

The short Os Dois Soldados presented on the same DVD is also worth a look

ryannichols7

#63 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:35 pm

I haven't done a catch up in awhile...I am very complicit in the "less discussion but yet everyone still votes" of these threads lately, but I like that we all kinda broke that practice this month

Blue Collar - I was really excited for this, but upon finding out after the movie that Schrader disowned it, it sorta helped me come to terms with my disappointment. I was fully and completely on board with it until the very scene where the three leads quite literally decide to split ways. until then, it was like a good, American version of The Working Class Goes to Heaven, with very pointed takes on unions, American working culture, and race relations at the time. it's extremely funny and at times moving up until that point, and I was ready to give it five stars and anoint it a new favorite, but something told me it was gonna go south. my spoilered thoughts regarding the last act:
SpoilerShow
I find Yaphet Kotto (who easily was the best character here)'s death to be totally unnecessary and also way overdrawn. it's not unrealistic to see Zeke's "selling out" to be a thing, but to have Harvey Keitel's character become racist in the last scene and end on a quite literal labor versus capitalism clash was just incredibly lazy to me
an absolute waste of chemistry between three actors who apparently hated each other, and the director! I didn't get to listen to Schrader's commentary on the Indicator disc yet but I plan to - this was one of the more frustrating, infuriating watches for me in some time, and not a good way to start the month. but it would get better.

Gates of Heaven - Roger Ebert was right about this one. I already enjoyed Morris via A Brief History of Time and The Thin Blue Line but this is one of the more touching, spiritual looks at Americana I've ever seen. as Swo mentioned above, this movie really captures that feeling of the disconnected America. I feel like in the Internet age, everyone is far more aware of things, if that makes sense. Morris is able to capture the purity and just how genuine the country was before the modern age. I obviously only lived through the tail end of this, but the people in Gates of Heaven felt like people I grew up around, the people I'd go to church with, and the people who's children I went to school with. I was really moved by the entire experience, and I already can't wait to watch it again.

Beauty and the Beast - I am gonna consider myself a disciple of Juraj Herz at this point, and insist that Second Run release every work of his that they can get their hands on. probably bests Cocteau as the best depiction of this particular story, I haven't revisited in awhile but remember having just a few issues with it here and there (Orpheus being my masterpiece of choice from Cocteau). I think Herz did such a phenomenal job capturing the disparity between filth and wonder in this film. he didn't throw too huge of curveballs in his adaptation, but there are choices like the appearance of the monster (I support the literal translation of The Virgin and the Monster for this one, thankful Second Run threw in a reversible cover) and overall darkness of the setting I found to be brilliant. there isn't a need for all of the monster's minions to have a sense of purpose, all kinda in the background, scurrying away when they're not needed. it helped add a very cool folktale feeling to the film, and while I intentionally try to avoid macabre and anything adjacent to horror during the month of October, I felt this was a great exception. the longing and emotion between the two titular characters was something I wasn't really prepared for - it's a very striking movie, and I thought the ending was rather phenomenal. can't praise this one enough!

Empire of Passion - again, I try to skip horror and anything that could be considered it, and I'm not nearly as big a fan of Oshima as many on here. I had no desire to revisit In the Realm of the Senses so I didn't, and I was thankful that there was nothing as graph- oh why did there have to be that absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary eye gouging scene!!!!! okay that aside, most fatal flaw of the movie, I liked this one pretty well enough. I didn't realize Oshima basically made an inverse Ugetsu during his career, even though the man in this (Tatsuya Fuji, same dude as Senses) comes out looking just as stupid as either of the dudes in Mizoguchi's movie. Gisaburo deserved a lot better. the whole thing played out like it was a part of Kwaidan which was cool.

Pretty Baby - this movie's so interesting, because I obviously will completely understand if a given person doesn't want to watch it, but I also think it deserves far better than its reputation gives it. the stellar extras Imprint gave this (and Kino licensed) meant I got to hear Brooke Shields talk about the movie through a 2022 lens, and she's clearly proud of it. Kat Ellinger's commentary discusses how poor of a shake the movie has gotten, and again, I totally get it, but it never once came off feeling exploitative or pornographic to me. and this is Louis Malle, a director who I don't generally enjoy! but while he was the director, this is very much a woman's dominated picture. Polly Platt of course wrote the entire thing, and while Keith Carradine gets top billing, Shields and Susan Sarandon very clearly lead the film, and both are excellent in it. and I think it's very clear how the film condemns the behavior of the men in it - I think very clearly not romanticizing this era or lavishing praise on the Storyville buyers. it's clearly through the eyes of the women in it, and what they went through during the period. again, if you feel this should never have been made, I won't stop you, but I found it rather good. and Sven Nykvist shooting this era was awesome, a genius idea.

up soon: An Unmarried Woman, The American Friend, Autumn Sonata, Tree of Wooden Clogs, The Circus Tent, and a revisit to Interiors

therewillbeblus

#64 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:17 pm

I don’t love Blue Collar either, but I don’t agree with those reasons
SpoilerShow
Kotto’s death is so brutally overdrawn but it’s not cutting away at the moments we want it to - it’s making us suffocate with him in real time. And it’s absolutely necessary to make the drama in Keital morally staking his life on his friendship with Kotto feel earned. If anything, all those earlier scenes of them whoring and drugging around and going through the grind together aren’t enough to earn the conflict. Personally, I think that’s the larger problem - to require an elongated death scene to stir the audience on a visceral level to make up for the lack of chemistry and camaraderie we’re supposed to feel by then. The death scene is immensely powerful, but it would've been better if the other, more important elements were built up to make it a part of something greater rather than serving as an isolated moment of jumpstarted sobriety.

Keital doesn’t “suddenly become racist” - there were probably always racist parts of him, as there are for many people, but that was a moment of hurt people hurting people; a breakout of verbal and physical violence to underscore the elite systems driving the workers apart. The tragic parallel is more appropriately linked to Bacon’s Rebellion - and just like it would be wildly inappropriate go back to that historical moment and call out the poor and black people for being manipulated into fighting each other, it seems like the wrong area of focus here as well. Not condoning the behavior, it’s just diagnosing the tip of the iceberg when the film is trying to study what’s beneath.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#65 Post by swo17 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:46 am

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Philip Kaufman)
I think this manages to be the most sophisticated of the year's big horror films. It's a slow burn that satisfyingly takes its time to reveal to its characters what we all know from the title and the original film. And despite being only PG-rated I think it's more unsettling both in its implications and in its creature effects, though some of that might be because it shouldn't be rated PG!

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#66 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:38 am

Is it possible to add Damien: Omen II to the list?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#67 Post by swo17 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:47 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:38 am
Is it possible to add Damien: Omen II to the list?
Added.

On the Yard (Raphael D. Silver)
Straight Time (Ulu Grosbard) (pictured)
These two films feel of-a-piece with each other, with their gritty but not quite off-putting depictions of criminals both behind bars and out of them, and their slightly cheesy but not quite off-putting '70s soundtracks. Note also that Silver was married to Joan Micklin Silver (Hester Street, Chilly Scenes of Winter) and Grosbard would go on to make the great JJL film Georgia

brundlefly

#68 Post by brundlefly » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:39 am

The few Indian films from this year I’ve seen so far, ranked, with the caveat that my exposure to Indian film has been very limited:

1. Satyam Shivam Sundaram (Raj Kapoor)

ImageImage

A great, mad, big-budget melodrama about madness. Rajeev, an engineer with the heart of a poet who “cannot tolerate any form of ugliness,” goes to work at a dam near a small village and falls for Roopa, a priest/entertainer’s daughter whose nickname was “Unlucky” even before a childhood accident left her face disfigured. The adult Roopa is gifted with an exquisite playback singer, a voluptuous body she keeps on constant display (“outgrown all her clothes,” catty village elders say – but it’s sound exploitation, her way to draw attention away from her scars), and phenomenal posture. She’s not trying to seduce the attractive newcomer, but he falls for her voice and her body. And of course her inherent goodness. And perhaps the part of her face she never lets him see.

The melodramas further down this list have problems sustaining information management over their run time; secrets remain unnaturally hidden while diversions clog proceedings. One of the things that makes SSS great is how brazenly it flaunts its single, thin deception; Raj and Roop keep close proximity, and her efforts to conceal her scars can entail Austin Powers-style obstructions when she could simply do Veronica Lake. Becomes clear early on they both depend on this delusion. Raj could seem especially cruel and shallow, and the film title (which translates as “Truth, Godliness, and Beauty,” hammered at us by narrated preamble) suggests inner beauty will win out. But he is shown to be desperately, psychotically averse to physical aberration, so just becoming a better person and accepting the 5% of Roopa’s body that’s less than perfect is not a ready option. It doesn’t make him more likable, but Roopa’s own self-hatred, desperation, and inherent goodness (thankfully, never impossible saintliness) incline her to join him in a relationship that requires unsustainable schizoid existences.

And because Kapoor has made his movie convincingly mad, I was inclined to join them as well, worried at every casual threat that might shatter their delusion. Colors are almost always goosed, as if the viewer is suffering a stroke or tumor. Sometimes cinematographer Radhu Karmakar just slaps striped colored filters over the lens; it’s all unreal, and it always works one way or another. Kapoor seems to have made his name as an actor, directing ten scattered features over 37 years , but (amidst the standard-issue tracking shots punctuated by zooms, a plague on these films) he can summon some emphatic visuals (there’s a magnificent motif involving a bell) and has a great sense of pacing. (Kapoor edited, as well.) His movie also finds, unlike so many others of this ilk, an action climax organic, thrilling, and meaningful.
SpoilerShow
Everyone is so focused on the scarring that no one seems to ask, “Is it a good idea for an engineer at that giant new dam to marry someone whose nickname is ‘Unlucky?’”
The staging of most of the ‘70s Bollywood musical numbers I’ve seen has left me disappointed, but the fantasy song "Chanchal Sheetal Nirmal Komal" at least lets the set designer go nutzoid. It’s a little bit An American in Paris in withdrawal, a little bit Alice in Wonderland goes to Carrie’s prom, and a lot a lot. Why can’t a set have breasts on the ceiling and dry ice volcanoes gushing a half-dozen colors?

(I don’t know the original aspect ratio, but my 1.33:1 Shemaroo DVD seems a lot more natural than the 1.85:1 in that YouTube clip. The colors are more vibrant as well.)

Some people will find SSS too silly, phony, and thin to hold too much praise, but I found its shamelessness and its commitment to the depth of its characters’ delusion rich, captivating. Even points or turns with which I quibbled were made to work. It’s not interested in explanation or analysis, there’s room for the viewer there. It’s got elements of folklore – the curse, the prince, the siren’s song—and horror. Unlike The Phantom of the Opera, we’re given view of Roopa’s scars from the start, encouraged to accept them; like the best monster movies it’s a love story and like the best love stories it’s a monster movie, we see monsters everywhere, and throughout this I was kept wondering for whom the pitchforks and torches would come and who might bear them.

Loved this.

2. Kondura (The Sage from the Sea) (Shyam Benegal)

ImageImage

Also great, a saner man would have lead with this drama. Benegal’s Bhumika was one of my orphans last month – if I never go back and post about those, at least know I meant to! – and this is less formally ambitious, very different, and perhaps more profoundly resonant. (Benegal has a long-dormant thread here, deserves more attention.)

Parashuram, a young brahmin, a newlywed and a younger brother, desperate for respect in his family home and his town, brashly runs away from home and encounters the mystical Kondura(*), a spirit of unknown nature. He’s given a gift, warned it might be burden or boon. On returning home, he starts to explore his relationship with the spiritual world and finds his relationship with his community changing.

(*) The only thing more unfortunate than the movie’s realization of Kondura, which is very Old Testament prophet-meets-Borat in a swimsuit, is the disastrous subtitling on the Eagle DVD.

I was recently bemoaning movies about faith-based ambiguity that weren’t The Rapture and then along comes this to show me what-for. What makes Kondura work so well is that Parashuram is largely confused and afraid of the new world to which he seems to have access and is worried about the purpose and nature of Kondura’s gift. His moments of certainty seem dangerous, even to him – which isn’t to say he doesn’t enjoy them. Though he seems to shed interest in others’ respect as he gains it, there is an entitled willingness to accumulate power. And there is a frankly sexual nature to his visions – Kondura has ordered him to stay celibate – and the power men hold over women’s bodies is both a recurring theme and central to Kondura’s gift.

Benegal builds the community and supporting roles by showing a variety of reactions to Parashuram from those around him and a variety of motivations for those reactions. But Parashuram has set himself apart from them from the start, and though he confides in his wife when he can find a way to articulate his new world – making her also confused and afraid, and afraid of him – he is fundamentally alone. Benegal introduces him dwarfed against some phenomenal landscapes. This isn’t another Chosen One narrative; it more closely resembles those great myths where everything may or may not be fate or the will of the gods, but man will suffer and suffer guilt anyway.

3. Thamp̄ (Govindan Aravindan)

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

1978 was the only year India’s National Film Awards did not name a Best Picture, but it limits the number of awards a film can receive to three, and Thamp̄ was recognized for Direction, Cinematography, and the Best Film in its Regional Language (“For its cinematic virtuosity and defiance of all narrative traditions of film making.”)

Quality gap, here. The following are all Bollywood melodramas:

4. Muqaddar Ka Sikandar (Prakash Mehra)

ImageImage

“This one,” said the woman working the returns desk at my library, “was sad.”

It was sad! But I was also sad it refused to take its own advice and stay sad. “Reject happiness,” says a stranger in a cemetery. “Embrace sorrow. Happiness is unfaithful. It is there for some days and then leaves. But sorrow remains with you.”

There is a lot of story in this, a lot a lot, but everything boils down to crossed wires and unrequited loves that represent crossing class barriers. Amitabh Bachchan – who has starred in at least 90% of the Bollywood films I’ve seen, and took three of the five Best Actor nominations at 1978’s Filmfare Awards – is a former street orphan named Sikander, obsessed with winning the love of a woman from a wealthy family that took him in but wrongly acc… A lot a lot.

Bachchan can do the haunted soul well, can sometimes do the entitled charmer winningly; he goes for both here, one wearing the mask of the other. But he doesn’t exude craft or craftiness, so – especially in a script where “clever” schemes are always simple set-up/a-ha! result – his approach can feel like Whatever This Scene Requires. And MKS is very much an "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes" kind of film. You can rationalize it as way to express the mask of a man who's supposedly built an empire on snitching (a questionable idea the plot mostly abandons): You make fast friends and fast enemies, acclimate instantly, your sense of paranoia always keeps everyone conveniently just around the corner. The movie’s melodramatic shifts do make a pair of fake-outs more effective. And I treasure the sequence where the brutish Dilawar, who considers himself an honorable man of love and vengeance, turns himself in to the police just to violently escape again.

But I am by nature a wallower and I resent the movie for not allowing Bachchan's character time to do so. Even when it told me it wouldn’t! "Whenever Sikandar feels sad and wants to stay alone, you go there soon," says his occasional comic relief sidekick. Life doesn't let you alone, even when it makes you be alone. I admire how the film let young Sikandar be annoying, unlikable, and still sympathetic; older Sikandar Bachchan sells the big vulnerable glycerin-teared moments, and it's some kind of triumph that Sikandar's desperate estrangement-based self-enforced loneliness rings true, sad, and also pathetic. But every time I started to enjoy the story the storytelling would get in the way. Unless a movie's going to lean into expressive ridiculousness, you can’t whiplash between suicides (“Life was already filled with poison,” four stars), action fits, instant character/conflict dumps.

Muqaddar Ka Sikandar does, at least, send you out of its first half with an excellent citrus burst.
No Spoiler, Just GIFShow
This was the year’s highest-grossing Indian film, the third highest-grossing of the decade.

5. Main Tulsi Tere Aangan Ki (Raj Khosla)

ImageImage

How easy change could be, how difficult it is.

The set-up: A ketchup factory-owner (with Severus Snape looks, but not vibes) rescues runaway prostitute Tulsi and they fall in love; aware of the stigma she would bring to his house, she encourages him to marry the respectable Sanjukta instead.

Tulsi isn’t just a hooker with a heart of gold (born in a brothel, she somehow seems unaware that a nautch girl might ever have to sleep with customers), she’s a saint, an ideal the film hopes is as infectious as her song. The main character turns out to be Sanjukta, though not allowed to speak for her first three scenes; she represents the potential and limitations of change. She and her son are allowed to struggle with shades of selfishness (Sanjukta can be very proud and cruel about her own sacrifices) and prejudice, while Tulsi and her bastard son are only allowed faults that can be preyed upon.

Two-dimensionality doesn’t do the lower-classed “good” characters any three-dimensional favors. And it complicates the movie’s argument for societal change that, while attempting to depict cycles of behavior, the film makes everyone’s good and bad traits look inherited.

The songs are fine, and for a while everything moves briskly enough(*); but the plot builds all its complications on an easily shared secret and the second half collapses utterly, devolves into an under-cranked and under-umpired polo match action climax. Main Tulsi Tere Aangan Ki took Best Film at 1978’s Filmfare Awards; It probably should have won Best Chutzpah. When one character demands for the Nth time to know The Secret, he’s instead told: “The truth is, a few things in life are so beautiful that they cannot be revealed before time.” What’s Hindi for “I’ll get back to you on that?”

(*) I am amazed by a lot of these Bollywood films’ approaches to time management. They very efficiently ellipsize by brusquely starting new scenes with, “Six months ago, when we met…” or a gaggle of suddenly aged children, then spend the bulk of the saved time on redundant or uselessly extended dialogue scenes and random, tonally incongruent subplots. Like they get all their work done by noon and look up at the clock and realize they’re going to have to stay until 5PM anyway.

6. Trishul (Yash Chopra)

He who forsakes love for ambition must reckon with vengeance!

I liked Chopra’s Deewar and fell like a sucker for his Kabhi Kabhie, but this – 1978’s second-highest grossing Indian film – was a huge letdown. Amusing story tendencies from KK– the interest in real estate development, quarries filled with random explosions, precious nicknames for young women (before “Pinky,” now “Bubli”/”Bubbly”) – were quickly buried by annoying tics. The zoom happiness, the under-cranked action, the cookie-cutter conflicts and faux-clever plotting. Surely no one has ever thought of… beating up their enemies, before!

Bachchan’s choice of choker was more interesting than any of his revenging, all the darkness and suffering mostly decorative. Taken as piffle, Trishul has its moments. Driving to a fight in an ambulance is a keen signature move. But this is filler.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#69 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:10 am

Souvenirs, souvenirs (Pierre Clémenti)
I believe this is mostly home video/behind-the-scenes footage from the preceding decade of Clémenti acting in various films, edited together like a Jonas Mekas film on acid. All of Clémenti's films are great if not necessarily that distinguishable (not unlike Mekas's!) but this one's short and sweet and has Bulle Ogier in it

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#70 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:14 am

The Driver (Walter Hill)
I'm sure I'm the first person on the internet to compare this film to Drive, but if you saw the ads for Drive and your brain conjured up the image of a movie with lots of cool driving and existentialism and some vague crime stuff going on in the background and that triggered a reaction of "I want to see that, but not if it has hammers and scorpions and heads exploding and Bruce Dern acting priggish" then that was your body telling you to watch this exact movie, other than the Bruce Dern part

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#71 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:10 am

L'Hypothèse du tableau volé [Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting] (Raúl Ruiz)
How many words is a picture really worth? Can it be replaced by a person describing it? What if they act it out, and what if we film them doing that? Can the film replace the man? Haven't we all really just been to Japan after having seen zedz' vacation photos? Are we not all flattened renditions of ourselves, and the world a great canvas about to be discarded? What replaces us then?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#72 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:02 am

Two great Dennis Potter projects totaling over 13 hours of biting British bleakness. Aren't you glad I waited until now to bring them up?

The Mayor of Casterbridge (David Giles)
Pennies from Heaven (Piers Haggard) [pictured]

I recently read some director calling Alan Bates the best actor he ever worked with, always well prepared with his lines and willing to be malleable to the director's vision. Well clearly that director never saw The Mayor of Casterbridge, which starts with a drunken Bates selling off his family at a fair! I mean, can you believe it? Do people really do things like that? Huh. Where are these fairs anyway? 8-[ Eventually he cleans up his act, becoming the titular mayor, and decides he wants to bring back some of the good parts of his past, but guess what comes along with that...

Pennies from Heaven's conceit that life is not as rosy as they sing about is not terribly novel, and the execution of its musical numbers is intentionally as low budget
as can be. If this were a 4-minute skit on SNL starring Steve Martin, I don't know that it would do much for me. But something about the long episodic approach really elevates the material to about as high an artform as TV can achieve without making any attempts to be cinematic. The American film from a few years later actually isn't bad either, though it does the reverse--big dance numbers emulating '30s musicals in place of three-fourths the length. It's well cast and acted, and Potter himself cut the original story down to its bare essentials. The film's biggest sin is that it resulted in MGM burying the mini-series for the next decade

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#73 Post by swo17 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:52 am

A Walk Through H
Vertical Features Remake (Peter Greenaway)

If you're reading this, there is probably a decent chance that you enjoy lists, but lists of what? The best books and movies? Sandwiches? Think bigger. Here is a list of movie posters sorted by color. Very pretty, but it's over too fast. Or here is a list of the words in the The Wizard of Oz sorted alphabetically. Impressively impenetrable. When will someone take every frame from Google Earth and sort them by elevation? (If something has not been photographed, does it even exist? Perhaps a list of such uncertain objects would make for an interesting project.) Tulse Luper, the fictional subject of these two Greenaway films, was not nearly so ambitious, but with his modest interests (here, both maps and anything that stands straight up) he was a pioneer. Everything in its right place

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#74 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:10 pm

Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe (Ted Kotcheff) Truly the 70s were a period when anything could get made without anyone worrying about what an audience would like, because I can't imagine anyone was asking for this star packed comedy oddity. Robert Morley more or less top-lines (!) as a fearsome food critic who may or may not be killing the world's greatest chefs so as to be able to stick to his diet. That idea is funnier as a premise than it is in execution here, however-- though not for lack of trying. The film is overstuffed with "funny" lines right out of a sitcom, as characters talk to each other in the flat punchline driven language of television in a manner that immediately irritates. I've liked George Segal in lot of other films from this period, but he is hopelessly outmatched by the script here, as are Philippe Noiret (underused, but with a strong command of english) and Jean-Pierre Cassel (overused, with what I believe to be a phonetic command of his lines in english). Jacqueline Bisset is probably equally matched to the material, however. It's really Morley's movie, though, and he gives a good reminder of star power (and a preview of the kind of roles Charles Laughton would have been stuck with if he'd lived long enough) to turn dreck like this suddenly watchable by virtue of him just being on screen doing his thing

knives

#75 Post by knives » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:36 am

Just submitted my list. Six films were on it I hadn’t seen before this month. Not too bad. I really hope in particular people check out Ringing Bell which isn’t a major time commitment at all.

My last two viewings of the month also made it with a Geraldine Chaplin double header. Remember My Name has already gotten some great discussion, but I thought Blindfolded Eyes was even better dealing with the all too relevant feeling of tackling horrors you have no real part in. The danger is real here, but I think what works best is the feeling that you aren’t actually risking skin and instead are just rub salt