The 1981 Mini-List

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers.
Maltic

Re: The 1981 Mini-List

#26 Post by Maltic » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:42 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:33 pm

Time Bandits: I told my mother I was disappointed in her for never showing me this as a kid, to which she replied she wasn't a big fan of it, which is fair.
I saw it on TV with my father when I was 9 or 10 and was obivously unsettled when...
SpoilerShow
the parents died... but as my father said, "they weren't much good anyway, were they?"

geoffcowgill

#27 Post by geoffcowgill » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:28 pm

Can Berlanga's Patrimonio Nacional be added to the list, please?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#28 Post by swo17 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:15 am

Added

knives

#29 Post by knives » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:51 pm

Is My Young Auntie the best kung fu movie of the ‘80s? It’s literally a screwball musical with the songs replaced by action scenes. I could easily see this being one of the sillier Doris Day films of the ‘50s. It has some clear Calamity Jane energy going on. I really haven’t seen a Chinese film try this sort of thing before and that’s probably because I can’t imagine anyone doing it better.

brundlefly

#30 Post by brundlefly » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:51 am

The Indian films I’ve seen from this year, ranked. A nicely varied bunch – though I’m behind on Bollywood blockbusters, which has something to do with that, will update as I catch-can – and a lot I found worthwhile.

ImageImage

1. Silsila (Yash Chopra)

In a moment of crisis, a selfish man commits a selfless act and rebuilds several peoples' lives upon it. How much pain will he dare cause them because has done something that is unlike him? Can he become a more selfless person? Will he even try? Is that even a fair thing to be?

This is the second time I’ve fallen hard for one of Yash Chopra’s romantic melodramas and both times I’ve left laughing at what a sucker I must be. But I must be what I must be! In Kabhi Kabhie he surprised me by passing opportunities to create easy villains and by pushing time forward; there were only circumstances and suffering and getting on with life, which brings sadness and joy. With Silsila he shocked me by testing how much of a villain he was willing to make his romantic hero.

Because this is a conservative culture and (despite some of its excesses) format, I’m talking stocking glimpse-level shocks. But the excessive run time is there to acclimate you, hold you hostage. This is basically an intimate (at times, internal) three-hour film about two married couples. It could arguably lose most of its first hour; were it a noir it could get in and out in a tight 80. (Come to think of it, there’s something of an analogue in de Toth’s Pitfall.) Downlist I’ll shrug at Shyam Benegal’s award-winning Kalyug for its juiceless escalations; a lot less happens in Silsila, but my chin got carpet burn all the same. And I watched it without knowing the real-life circumstances under which it was made.
The Real-Life Circumstances Under Which it Was MadeShow
Bollywood’s most renowned star Amitabh Bachchan plays a character named “Amit” who marries a woman played by his real-life wife, but who is shown to be truly in love with a woman played by an actor widely assumed before filming began to be Bachchan's real-life mistress.
Those circumstances did not endear it to an audience, and to the film's credit it rubs your face in them. It is serious about making you feel uncomfortable. It leaves no doubt which characters belong together: If simple star power’s not enough – when they first lock eyes, oh man – they also get the perks of the genre: They meet through dance, they flirt through song, and using time, Chopra builds them a world. Their courtship is more than ten minutes of straight music, back-to-back songs that have them climbing mountains, hip-deep in tulips. The usual musical hyperreality bubble, always outdoors (because their love is natural, and because Mother Nature is the best and cheapest set designer), often oozing fog. Over days and nights and nights and days. They are indulged so much time, mostly without event, it wipes the practical world away. They fit. They burrow into each other.

(Chopra will not impress you with craft. Cuts are crass. I’ve wondered at how he kept winding up with the least talented camerapeople on the planet, but after sitting through six of his films have to assume he was getting what he wanted. At this point in his career dude just loved zooms. Maybe he didn’t trust his audience’s patience. Maybe he thought it a good way to hide deficiencies in blocking and composition. But you wind up with situations like this, where he wants to reprise 90 seconds of a song while two people stand still in a room, so he alternates zoom ins and zoom outs on one-shots until he can slowly zoom in on a two-shot. It’s not a paucity of visual ideas, it’s a style!)

There are real-world intrusions. There are cycles of accidents parsed out with a regularity that lets you know Chopra has a structure up his sleeve. (There’s also an international political situation temporarily used as dressing.) But for the most part these characters’ real world is exceptionally generous. The people close to them care for them deeply, are kind. are more than understanding. Arbiters of guilt are de-fanged in ridiculous fashion. These two do not want for anything but each other.

There’s a second path laced through this that feels both redemptive and wrong. Chopra threads that from the beginning, before anyone has to make any damning choices. The way the he fosters tension between the film and the audience makes you wonder where to put your cynicism. I choose the ending, which for me is an all-timer, a laugh-out-loud display of bullshit shrewdly slapped on to hide a cyclical turn from a character incapable of change. But cynicism is a cancer that spreads and undeniable love is not immune; sugar-rot and eye-rolls set in as lines let and charm falls away.

The movie’s best musical number is a holiday celebration of eternal, divine love. A climactic color ejaculation. And an open transgression. How much are we supposed to hate the person posited as the practical and romantic hero of the film? How turned off are we supposed to be by his joy? The dissonance between star power and character behavior festers to the extent that, by the time he righteously rails against unfair social structures I both wanted to spit at him and see him wind up with the one he loves. It's a movie willing to be as abrasive and shameless as its central couple, as willing to be expressive beyond its competence as its hero, willing to cast effective pall upon its own deep romanticism. I loved that, and I loved this more than I expect anyone else would.

(I watched this on DVD, but it’s currently streaming on Amazon Prime.)

2. Akaler Shandhaney/In Search of Famine (Mrinal Sen)

Film crew descends on rural village to recreate a famine, recreates a famine.

In 1960, Mrinal Sen went to a rural village to film Baishey Shravana, a period piece which incorporated elements of the devastating man-made famine of 1943. In 1980, Mrinal Sen went to a rural village to film Akaler Shandhaney, in which Dhritiman Chatterjee plays an unnamed director shooting a film about the 1943 famine called “Akaler Shandhaney.”

The result is less a clever series of meta echoes than a fluid, pointed cycling through ever-present history. Sen tones down his choppy formal playfulness (outside a hilarious chorus of children screaming "Cut!") in favor of long tracking shots to keep eras interwoven. Yet still relies heavily on improvisation. (According to Dipankar Mukhopadhyay, “About 60 percent of the film was improvised on location and whatever working script [Sen] had with him went totally haywire.”)

Preferring captured inspiration to a lock-tite puzzlebox can mean leaving a lot of ideas on the table, but it also means the obvious ideas get more than obvious satirical gloss. So certainly, there can be a crass tone-deafness to the visitors – anyone for a game of "Guess which famine?" – but the "film crew" and "villagers" are not monolithic entities and relationships between individuals are varied and revealing. There is a refusal to compromise in art and a refusal to compromise in life and a refusal to change in the face of evidence that what you're doing has done wrong before. (There is a lot of suffering, and particularly women's suffering, created at the hand of male pride.) There is a lot about how we relate to history, to what we make and what we watch, to each other.

Sreela Majumdar's show-stopping moment may be the point where everything comes most fully together and also where everything decisively falls apart.

(There are two English-friendly options on YouTube, both compromised: A muddy VHS rip in the correct aspect ratio, and a digitally scrubbed, reformatted version. The cap is from the latter, but I watched the former.)

ImageImage

3. Umrao Jaan (Muzaffar Ali)

Thousands are intoxicated by these eyes
Associated with these eyes are a thousand tales
You are not the only one disgraced for love of me

In this city, there are thousands like you
I’m the only one who intoxicates with my eyes

Though there are thousands of taverns in the world
You think a gale can scare such a flame
A flame which is protected by a thousand moths

Thousands are intoxicated by these eyes
Associated with these eyes are a thousand tales

If you are here for the poetry and the music, this one’s for you. (You, and the person who voted for it on the forum’s Musicals List.)

The actor pictured above is Rekha. She won the Filmfare Best Actress award the previous year for playing a bubbly anarchist in Khubsoorat. She would win the National Film Best Actress Award for this performance, which evolves into one of stillness and control. imdb credits her with 14 films in 1981, including Silsila up top, not including her cameo in the film below.

Umrao Jaan is the slave name of a young girl who is abducted and sold into service at a brothel; eventually she becomes a celebrated poet. The film is based on a novel from 1905. It recrosses too many paths and dots way too many i’s. It soft-sells the sex work and the conditions of a life in captivity, but I think Rekha makes those burdens felt. The music is by Khayyam, who also worked on Yash Chopra’s Kabhi Kabhie. Urdu poet Shahryar’s ghazals are great, even in translation (my library had this dvd); his film work mostly consists of the few films his college friend Muzaffar Ali directed. Ali's best when he lets the sets and actors do the work in this; the rare inspired camera move can come as a surprise and a distraction in the middle of too much random activity.

I did not find what I looked for
But this became an excuse for seeing the world

ImageImage

4. Chashme Buddoor (Sai Paranjpye)

A playful delight. A bunch of kids whose idea of love has been deeply affected by Bollywood romances spend time either recreating their lives as a Bollywood movie or seeing their experiences distorted through that mirror. A winsome cast. Ideas and jokes that arrive without ponderous telegraphing. For a while, this is an irresistibly good-natured, low-to-the-ground comedy. I beamed through the first 90 minutes.

No comedy should be longer than two hours, though, and when complications come due the film chooses some needlessly mean ones. It recovers in time to get ridiculous and fulfill the promise of a running (literal) gag. I'm glad I've now seen enough of these movies to recognize at least a couple of the tunes in its the quick-hit parody song, but familiarity is definitely not a prerequisite.

The first of two films directed by Indian women on this list, Sai Paranjpye's writer/director credit in the cut-out animated opening titles is a sharp way to assert her presence:
No Spoiler, Just GIFShow
(Watched the Shemaroo DVD. Have not seen the 2013 remake that’s on Netflix.)

ImageImage

5. Bhavni Bhavai (Ketan Mehta)

“Which sin will you choose?”
“The middle one.”

A find I’m frankly underrating because it’s an adaptation of a play by Dhiruben Patel and I’m unsure exactly where credit is due. Bhavai is a form of folk theater whose 14th-century origins are credited to Asait Thakar, who was punished for associating outside his caste and turned to theater to make a living. (Mehta’s film is dedicated to Thakar and Bertolt Brecht, also acknowledges the creators of Asterix in the credits.) Bhavni Bhavai is a clever and broad and furious attack on caste that uses folklore and theatricality to lampoon social hierarchies and spit on the violence of their continued existence.

A tribe of Dalits whose homes were burned – refugees due to “games elders play” – stops to camp for a night; a storyteller entertains the children with a tale from earlier times when things were worse and their people were called Untouchables. Most of the film is spent inside that story, a familiar one of court intrigue around a buffoonish king and a foundling prince. Poor people love tales of royalty, and (as the play within the story within the film shows) kings love a beggar’s opera.

Everyone is playing dress-up, everyone is putting on an act. Actors take multiple roles, multiple actors play one role. Name actors (Naseeruddin Shah (having more fun than I’m used to), Smita Patil, Om Puri) recite couplets outside their language (the film is in Gujarati); at one point, Patil’s dubbed with a male voice. People in the story talk to the camera, people outside the story talk to the camera. Mehta uses James Bond needle drops and an electronic score that would qualify as anachronistic if you could be safe in thinking these problems were in the past.

There’s a washed-out English-friendly copy on YouTube.

ImageImage

6. 36 Chowringhee Lane (Aparna Sen)

Unlike everything else on this list, not simply because it’s mostly in English. Aparna Sen's first feature contemplates loneliness and connection and changing guard in changing times. Merchant-Ivory grad Jennifer Kendal is an elderly Anglo-Indian Shakespeare teacher at a Calcutta girls' school. Never married, all her family is either moved away or wasting away in hospice. Her hobbies are: Dragging her feet through graveyards, reading letters to her cat, losing herself in wistful remembrances.

One of her former students is looking for a place for day hook-ups with their fiancé, a would-be writer, and arranges to borrow the teacher's flat during school hours on the pretense that would-be writing will get done there.

Sen and her production team favor muted palettes and shadows and find some decisive static shots. The pacing appropriately preaches, and occasionally tries, patience; it's a sad and sweet little film that mostly knows when to get excited. It is not a film with a lot of plot or complications, not busy or confrontational to its benefit. A solid short story drawn out to two hours. A fine opportunity to try things, and Sen's expressive touches are welcome whether they work or not. The evocative dissolves do. The lavender-tinted dream sequence comes off a bit like a student art film. She can be overbearing. ("Silent Night" plays over a montage of homeless people.) She can favor understatement to a fault -- a lot of the early going hangs on Kendal's plaintive stare -- but finds some great rewards. The end of a party sequence is beautifully done.

ImageImage

7. Kalyug/Age of Vice (Shyam Benegal)

Benegal updates the Mahabharata as a corporate soap opera, two branches of the same family bloodthirsty for contracts, the Kali Yuga as late-stage capitalism. And it may be (like this year’s French Lieutenant’s Woman) more a triumph of adaptation than a work of lasting effect. (Samir Chopra’s dissection deals mostly in compare/contrast.) Kalyug suffers an inevitable cultural barrier for those of us unfamiliar with the Mahabharata, and it’s so pared down it’s not going to open the old work to new eyes.

Chopra asserts its value as critically tying rising corporate culture to India’s warrior past, but equaling big business with moral bankruptcy has long been old hat in the West. Kalyug predates Gordon Gekko, but not Michael Corleone, and the intervening decades of Dynasty, Profit, Succession, etc. have given us so many clashing archetypes and ruthlessly propulsive cutthroat narratives that things have to get extravagantly juicy or clever or deep to warrant attention.

It is a problem how inured to all this I felt! Family members killing family members. blah blah blah. Some of that’s due to overcrowding. The film opens with a narrated family tree chart, moves at a good clip because you’re playing catch up with characters; Benegal drops the occasional ellipse to keep ahead. Events and complications come on strong, and when labor unions fight each other to control a strike it’s a nice bit of divide and conquer. But unlike other Benegal films this one gets smaller as it goes along. His first (I think) contemporary urban drama even looks cramped. Escalations are often uncinematic (a lot of time on telephones) and easily shrugged off.

Some of that is to point. The claustrophobia, the self-containment, the contraction. When real people intrude on family space by presence or mention it’s a passing shock. Even though there are two competing family businesses, all the business is kept in the family. Letting competition supersede all other values makes your family as horrible as your family has made the world. But it's still their world, what choice do we have but to shrug at it?

ImageImage

8. Chakra/Vicious Cycle (Rabindra Dharmaraj)

The Filmfare awards seem mostly dominated by typical Bollywood fare, but in 1981 Kalyug won Best Picture and this downbeat slum-set drama was among that category’s nominees. (Parallel cinema stalwarts Smita Patil and Naseeruddin Shah both won for their acting here.) Chakra played in Cannes' director's fortnight and won the gold at Locarno after its director's early death. This was the only feature from Dharmaraj, a former journalist, and as it weaves a number of characters and incidents into a portrait of a shanty "colony" (as translated), it cries out for a stronger sensibility and a surer story-shaping hand.

Our entry into the film is Patil's Amma; a pair of tragedies leave her a single mother raising her son Benwa in a Mumbai slum. We tour the slum with Benwa, the more natural central character, and two father figures who visit his mother provide the traditional paths. Shah's charismatic big-knifed pimp/thug is a neighborhood institution and takes the boy under his wing; Kulbhushan Kharbanda's straight-shooting truck driver has the steady, honest job but is an infrequent presence. There are too many scenes away from either of them to make any path clear, to make life seem anything but improvised and episodic. Perpetuated instability and impermanence are part of Dharmaraj's point.

The best thing by far about Chakra is its outdoor set, a sprawling practical encampment that shows a bustling cityscape around it. There are standout scenes -- the chase of a leaking grain truck, exciting stolen shots of Benwa working streets as a shine boy and a squeegee man. Great percussive sections of soundtrack. And despite its trajectory, Dharmaraj does not force-wallow in miserabilism. But the film's sloppy climax mostly brings home the film's missed opportunities, not the characters'.

9. Ranganayaki/The Heroine of the Stage (S.R. Puttana Kanagal)

Kanagal is going for something mythic in his Kannada-language melodrama about an actress and her troubled off-stage relationship with former members of her audience. I’m not sure he gets there, despite a running consternation about broken families. She is with a theater troupe that specializes in Hindu mythological plays, with which I’m unfamiliar, but a late turn toward Greek tragedy features a queasy revelation without a pronounced reveal and with a hodgepodge of hokey-pokey non-action.

It often feels that way, both jumpy and static. A huge chunk of time is devoted to one of my least favorite turns, the guy who marries a woman and wants her to stop being the woman he married. The theater Is where the actress’ and film’s hearts are and it shows. An early backstage tussle has fun with props and costumes, actors in full half-monkey Hanuman costume kicking butt. And there’s a stirring whirl at dervishry that, even as it sends the film spiraling into its next act, leads to more Wifey Don’t Do That! morass. Frustrating.

A subbed, awkwardly reformatted copy is on YouTube.

ImageImage

10. Chaalchitra/Kaleidoscope (Mrinal Sen)

Sen’s second film of the year starts promisingly enough, with an on-screen optical track and a story-within-the story, a pitch from a would-be journalist. (Sen’s Interview, but it’s in an interview to get a job interviewing!) It turns into a hunt for story ideas around his home so Sen can do a day in the life of a lower-middle class complex and express conflicted feelings about upward mobility. There are good things, like a courtyard cleaning that shows cooperation bred through animosity. A showy dream sequence conjures Fellini against Sen’s favorite black limbo background, snaps a quip that tear gas can’t work against protestors who’ve acclimated to India’s air pollution. But this ultimately feels uninspired. Even the quick-cut street scenes feel aimless.

A subbed, digitally scrubbed copy in the wrong aspect ratio is on YouTube.

11. Nakhuda (Dilip Naik)

Negligible and sloppy melodrama only made interesting by a portrayal of lower-class self-hatred. A gruff ex-con hotel/café owner (Kulbhushan Kharbanda, who played Dr. Evil in Shaan and is effectively heartbreaking despite looking a little like a Eugene Levy bit) adopts a soon-to-graduate college student, helps arrange his future, then decides he must sabotage their relationship to ensure his new son’s success. Normally this would focus on the rising son and his conflict with the ex-con’s actual son (a criminal and layabout, natch), but it largely stays on Kharbanda as he beats himself up through weird machinations to no good end.

Unranked:

Dakhal/The Occupation (Gautam Ghose)

Cannot count this as seen because the only versions I’ve found (on DVD, on YouTube) use the same source, which is missing subtitles for the first two reels.

Luckily Dakhal is much shorter and simpler than Ghose’s ambitious and overreaching Maa Bhoomi, though it can also seem thin. As revealed mostly in flashbacks: Andi, a member of the nomadic kakmara people, once eloped and had children with a man who settled and developed marshland for farming. After he suddenly dies, her tribe haunts her home while a greedy landowner twists the legal system to try to force her from her home.

Beyond issues of land grabbing, examples of the powerful turning poorer people against each other to their advantage (lending fine ambiguity as to who's responsible for a climactic event), and some bracing low language in a courtroom, there's the emotional crush of an abandoned past sweeping back into someone's life(*) while their future seems ready to be snatched away, the haunting feeling of having no place in the present to be. But Ghose doesn't give his heroine enough to do, doesn't seem interested in exploring any psychological connection to either of her worlds, refuses to push her readily righteous part toward resolute dramatic fire.

(*) Committed opening shot has a clan emerge from the sunrise to traverse the whole length of the screen on a river bank before turning toward us and fording the river.
Last edited by brundlefly on Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#31 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:43 am

Interesting guide, thanks for sharing!

knives

#32 Post by knives » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:03 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:33 pm
a schoolgirl twofer that both somehow starred Hiroko Yakushimaru in the lead role, something I didn't know going in, and totally didn't plan them on the same day for such a purpose!

Sailor Suit Machine Gun: first Shinji Somai despite my calls for more of his films to be released by the various labels, in threads, etc. I bet that he would be my kind of director and he is. the negative-to-middling reviews on Letterboxd that this has are very amusing, as people clearly wanted more of a schlocky movie, which this is not at all. it's tonally a bit all over the place, at times being quite funny and a clear parody of the yakuza film, but then will actually have the emotional pulls that some of those movies have? it felt more like a Seijun Suzuki movie without his more in your face energy, moving at a more relaxed pace. I appreciated the comedy a lot more than say, the two Juzo Itami movies I've watched so far (the two Criterion have released) and liked the summery mood of the film, with a great theme song (and title card). that said, I feel like this could've stood to press more at the idol film like it did the yakuza genre, could've been quite interesting. therewillbeblus noted in the dedicated thread for this movie that this does owe a lot to noir, with the whole theme of an outsider (in this case, one of the more extreme cases of such!) being brought into the underworld. I really loved...
SpoilerShow
the bittersweet ending. more like this please, in a French movie or something I feel like Izumi would've been unceremoniously killed off, but I love the pessimism so much more of the ending we got
I really can't wait to see more of Somai's work. I didn't love this movie, but did quite like it and think he can land a masterpiece with me at some point.
I enjoyed this one a lot and it’s definitely doing to be a last minute addition to my list. The film with its relaxed e affect and focus on familial minutiae reminded me a lot of Edward Yang and I do think love of it is going to be dependent on how much one can take an absurd premise as interior, minimalist drama.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#33 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:53 pm

swo: Unless I'm missing it, can you add the Prowler?

therewillbeblus

#34 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:02 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:53 pm
swo: Unless I'm missing it, can you add the Prowler?
Totally missed that on my own shortlist. Apologies in advance if orphaned, too lazy to re-submit my ballot

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#35 Post by swo17 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:36 pm

I've added The Prowler. If anyone wants to edit their lists and can't find the link, PM me and I'll send it to you

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#36 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:55 pm

Thanks swo! By pure coincidence, I also have back to back Étranges on my list

knives

#37 Post by knives » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:30 pm

Just submitted my list. It feels more cohesive and better than the previous year, but I still have this resounding feeling of absolute ignorance with my bottom five being nostalgia choices rather than passion ones. I wonder if at any point in the decade I’ll feel as confident as I did with the ‘70s.

Random facts:
7 new to me films with the highest placing at number three.

11 American films, though my number one was shot in English in the US despite being from Europe.

Only made room for two shorts and no docs.

Alan Clarke’s amazing story of intrigue and inflation Beloved Enemy is what I’d put down as the most likely to be orphaned before this mild plea.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#38 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:22 am

Final reminder to vote before I wake up in the morning!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#39 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:41 am

The 1981 List

##. Film (Director) points/votes(top 5 placements, aka likely votes in decade list)/highest ranking

01. My Dinner with André (Louis Malle) 241/12(7)/2(x5)
02. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Steven Spielberg) 207/12(4)/4
03. Blow Out (Brian De Palma) 191/10(4)/1(x2)
04. La Femme de l'aviateur [The Aviator's Wife] (Éric Rohmer) 183/10(4)/1(x2)
05. Modern Romance (Albert Brooks) 155/8(5)/1
06. They All Laughed (Peter Bogdanovich) 146/7(5)/1
(tie) Lola (Rainer Werner Fassbinder) 146/7(4)/1
08. Possession (Andrzej Żuławski) 132/8(3)/1
09. Coup de torchon [Clean Slate] (Bertrand Tavernier) 115/7(4)/1
10. Mephisto (István Szabó) 103/6(1)/4
11. Ms. 45 (Abel Ferrara) 98/7(1)/4
12. Reds (Warren Beatty) 93/6(1)/3
13. An American Werewolf in London (John Landis) 88/7(1)/5
14. Body Heat (Lawrence Kasdan) 87/7(1)/1
15. The Evil Dead (Sam Raimi) 83/7/9(x2)
16. Diva (Jean-Jacques Beineix) 82/4(3)/2
(tie) Excalibur (John Boorman) 82/6(2)/2(x2)
18. Thief (Michael Mann) 74/5(1)/1
19. Cutter's Way (Ivan Passer) 69/6(1)/4
20. The Garden of Earthly Delights (Stan Brakhage) 64/4(2)/3
21. Le Pont du Nord (Jacques Rivette) 62/4(1)/3
22. Das Boot [The Boat] (Wolfgang Petersen) 60/6(2)/5(x2)
23. Tre fratelli [Three Brothers] (Francesco Rosi) 57/3(1)/1
24. Przypadek [Blind Chance] (Krzysztof Kieślowski) 54/3(1)/3
(tie) Time Bandits (Terry Gilliam) 54/6(1)/2
26. Prince of the City (Sidney Lumet) 50/3(1)/5
(tie) Mad Max 2 (George Miller) 50/4/7
28. Bodas de sangre [Blood Wedding] (Carlos Saura) 48/3(1)/4
29. Człowiek z żelaza [Man of Iron] (Andrzej Wajda) 46/3(1)/2
30. Christiane F. – Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (Uli Edel) 45/2(2)/3
(tie) The Howling (Joe Dante) 45/3/6
32. Francisca (Manoel de Oliveira) 41/2(1)/4
(tie) The Man Who Could Not See Far Enough (Peter Rose) 41/2(1)/5
34. Hommage à la Sarraz (Lutz Dammbeck) 38/2(1)/3
35. Storie di ordinaria follia [Contes de la folie ordinaire] [Tales of Ordinary Madness] (Marco Ferreri) 37/3(1)/1
(tie) The French Lieutenant's Woman (Karel Reisz) 37/3/7
(tie) セーラー服と機関銃 [Sērā-fuku to kikanjū] [Sailor Suit and Machine Gun] (Shinji Sōmai) 37/4/14
38. Psy-Warriors (Alan Clarke) 33/2/9
39. Pennies from Heaven (Herbert Ross) 29/2/6
(tie) Looks and Smiles (Ken Loach) 29/3/6
(tie) 泥の河 [Doro no kawa] [Muddy River] (Kōhei Oguri) 29/2/10
42. Wolfen (Michael Wadleigh) 27/2/9
43. Ragtime (Miloš Forman) 25/2/9
(tie) 長輩 [Zhang bei] [My Young Auntie] (Lau Kar-leung) 25/2/11
(tie) O Território [The Territory] (Raúl Ruiz) 25/2/12
46. Прощание [Proshchanie] [Farewell] (Elem Klimov) 24/2/14(x2)
(tie) Southern Comfort (Walter Hill) 24/3/13
48. Gallipoli (Peter Weir) 23/2/8
49. Beloved Enemy (Alan Clarke) 22/2/10
50. Scanners (David Cronenberg) 21/2/9

ALSO-RANS

Escape from New York (John Carpenter) 20/2/13
Tajemství hradu v Karpatech [The Mysterious Castle in the Carpathians] (Oldřich Lipský) 20/2/15
ええじゃないか [Eijanaika] (Shōhei Imamura) 18/2/9
Die bleierne Zeit [Marianne & Juliane] (Margarethe von Trotta) 18/2/13
Tango (Zbigniew Rybczyński) 18/3/17
La Femme d'à côté [The Woman Next Door] (François Truffaut) 16/2/12
Silvestre (João César Monteiro) 15/3/19
History of the World: Part I (Mel Brooks) 12/2/18
The Funhouse (Tobe Hooper) 11/2/20
The Loveless (Kathryn Bigelow & Monty Montgomery) 6/2/21

ORPHANS

Film (Director) highest ranking

به ترتیب یا بدون ترتیب؟ [Be tartib ya bedun-e tartib?] [Orderly or Disorderly] (Abbas Kiarostami) 12
Tiempo de revancha [Time for Revenge] (Adolfo Aristarain) 3
Un étrange voyage (Alain Cavalier) 10
Le Choix des armes [Choice of Arms] (Alain Corneau) 11
Bus Stop (Andrea Gomez) 8
The Fox and the Hound (Art Stevens, Ted Berman & Richard Rich) 8
Four Friends (Arthur Penn) 22
Kate Bush: Sat in Your Lap (Brian Wiseman) 23
Puberty Blues (Bruce Beresford) 19
America Is Waiting (Bruce Conner) 7
Deprisa, deprisa [Faster, Faster] (Carlos Saura) 6
Junkopia (Chris Marker, Frank Simeone & John Chapman) 14
Sois belle et tais-toi! [Be Pretty and Shut Up!] (Delphine Seyrig) 11
Clash of the Titans (Desmond Davis) 20
Сјећаш ли се Доли Бел? [Sjećaš li se Doli Bel?] [Do You Remember Dolly Bell?] (Emir Kusturica) 11
Dark Night of the Scarecrow (Frank De Felitta) 12
Mommie Dearest (Frank Perry) 15
Dead & Buried (Gary Sherman) 20
Rich and Famous (George Cukor) 24
Chariots of Fire (Hugh Hudson) 12
만다라 [Mandala] (Im Kwon-taek) 3
La Guerre du feu [Quest for Fire] (Jean-Jacques Annaud) 16
Une bonne à tout faire [An All Round Maid] (Jean-Luc Godard) 7
The Great Muppet Caper (Jim Henson) 1
Shock Treatment (Jim Sharman) 10
Postřižiny [Shortcuts] (Jiří Menzel) 15
Dance Craze (Joe Massot) 23
For Your Eyes Only (John Glen) 23
Polyester (John Waters) 7
The Prowler (Joseph Zito) 8
ભવની ભવાઈ [Bhavni Bhavai] [The Tale of the Life] (Ketan Mehta) 20
遠雷 [Enrai] [Distant Thunder] (Kichitarō Negishi) 23
The Appointment (Lindsey C. Vickers) 13
Patrimonio nacional [National Heritage] (Luis García Berlanga) 24
Fehérlófia [Son of the White Mare] (Marcell Jankovics) 19
Dragonslayer (Matthew Robbins) 17
Eaux profondes [Deep Water] (Michel Deville) 24
Kisapmata [In the Blink of an Eye] (Mike De Leon) 21
আকালের সন্ধানে [Akaler Shandhaney] [In Search of Famine] (Mrinal Sen) 11
امراؤ جان [Umrao Jaan] (Muzaffar Ali) 16
Sogni d'oro [Sweet Dreams] (Nanni Moretti) 9
Kundskabens træ [Tree of Knowledge] (Nils Malmros) 1
ねらわれた学園 [Nerawareta gakuen] [School in the Crosshairs] (Nobuhiko Ōbayashi) 8
Inseminoid (Norman J. Warren) 10
New York Portrait: Chapter II (Peter B. Hutton) 2
Outland (Peter Hyams) 16
Une étrange affaire [Strange Affair] (Pierre Granier-Deferre) 11
Wojna światów, następne stulecie [The War of the Worlds: Next Century] (Piotr Szulkin) 18
Lili Marleen (Rainer Werner Fassbinder) 22
Roadgames (Richard Franklin) 12
...All the Marbles (Robert Aldrich) 18
L'Entr'aperçu (Robert Cahen) 16
Smash Palace (Roger Donaldson) 10
चश्मे बद्दूर [Chashme Buddoor] [Far Be the Evil Eye] (Sai Paranjpye) 22
敗家仔 [Baai ga jai] [The Prodigal Son] (Sammo Hung) 5
You Are Not I (Sara Driver) 14
陽炎座 [Kagerô-za] (Seijun Suzuki) 5
Gently Down the Stream (Su Friedrich) 25
Spacy (Takashi Itō) 1
Maria Zef (Vittorio Cottafavi) 14
Tag der Idioten [Day of the Idiots] (Werner Schroeter) 5
Dreszcze [Shivers] (Wojciech Marczewski) 18
सिलसिला [Silsila] [Continuation] (Yash Chopra) 2
の・ようなもの [No yōna mono] [Something Like It] (Yoshimitsu Morita) 2

16 lists submitted

knives

#40 Post by knives » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:56 am

Thank you so much Swo for your quick and good work and thanks everyone else for giving me only four orphans.

therewillbeblus

#41 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:54 pm

Thanks swo!

1. Blow Out
2. Diva
3. They All Laughed
4. Modern Romance
5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
6. My Dinner with Andre
7. Francisca
8. Lola
9. Possession
10. Inseminoid

24. Eaux Profondes - I thought domino had me on this one, since I'm pretty sure he liked it more!

Maltic

#42 Post by Maltic » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:58 pm

1. Tree of Knowledge
2. Excalibur
3. The Aviator’s Wife
4. Francisca
5. The Prodigal Son
6. The Howling
7. They All Laughed
8. School in the Crosshairs
9. Sweet Dreams
10. Ms.45

Maltic

#43 Post by Maltic » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:07 pm

TMDaines

#44 Post by TMDaines » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:30 am

Blind Chance was eligible here? I'm guessing this is the case for all of the suppressed Polish films of the early 80s?

MichaelB

#45 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:42 am

TMDaines wrote:Blind Chance was eligible here? I'm guessing this is the case for all of the suppressed Polish films of the early 80s?
Hmm. As far as I’m aware, while Blind Chance was made in 1981, it wasn’t shown anywhere until 1987.

So for me it differs from, say, Piotr Szulkin’s War of the Worlds: Next Century, which had a few festival screenings in 1981 prior to being banned until 1983.

That said, Ryszard Bugajski’s Interrogation is usually cited as a 1982 film despite being banned until 1989 - and I suspect a reason for this is that while it was never commercially released, it did a roaring trade on the pirate VHS circuit, with Bugajski’s enthusiastic approval. So people were seeing it in 1982, just not in officially sanctioned venues.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:45 am

I think generally swo uses IMDB's years unless someone flags an exception (including himself). It's definitely not a perfect system, but it's consistent

TMDaines

#47 Post by TMDaines » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:54 am

MichaelB, do you know whether Kobieta Samotna (A Lonely Woman) and Matka Królów (The Mother of Kings) were seen anywhere before being banned? Did any other films have a life of their own from leaked tapes? I believe Gorączka (Fever) and Dreszcze (Shivers) were shown at festivals and "released", even if they ended up banned at home to domestic audiences.

This Wikipedia page has been useful for an oversight of what films were banned and I may miss by filtering by year of release: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... lms#Poland

In terms of what films go where, I appreciate it is not an exact answer and swo17 is making his best call, but, from my perspective, it seems a little inconsistent to hold films back to a later year that were only shown at festivals the previous year, but to then have banned films brought forward to their year of completion rather than the year of their eventual release. We've got some films ending up in a year after they were first shown, but other films being voted for years before they were even shown, even though ordinarily we are pretty much only ever interested in year of release, rather than final production year.
domino harvey wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:45 am
I think generally swo uses IMDB's years unless someone flags an exception (including himself). It's definitely not a perfect system, but it's consistent
Blind Chance would be 1987 then because it was never seen before then.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#48 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:19 am

My system is more complicated than that. I consider various sources and each film on a case-by-case basis in an effort to put each film where I feel it best belongs. In the case of films that see long delays for reasons outside the director's control I aim to assign the film when it would have come out if not for this obstacle. In the case of Blind Chance, it's well documented that it was completed in 1981 but suppressed until 1987. Note that Criterion also assigns this film to 1981. In the case of a film that sees a handful of unheralded festival screenings before opening wider the next year, where most people think of it as a release from the later year, a year isn't 'much difference, and I feel like it would make things more confusing in these cases to deviate from the norm. If you spend enough time considering the various sources, you'll see that it's very difficult if not impossible to apply a simple set of rules to every single film. At the end of the day, the year I assign films doesn't matter as much as the fact that we are all working from the same list of eligible films each year when we vote. Even if I handled suppressed films differently, there would be numerous examples of differing year assignments between people that mostly track their viewings on IMDb vs. Letterboxd, for instance. That's why everyone is encouraged to review each year's eligibility lists closely, both for the current year and for upcoming years to identify any films that are assigned other than where you might expect to see them. And if you think I've made a mistake, I'm certainly open to making corrections, but it would be ideal to bring this up before we tackle that year. That's why I start threads for upcoming years before we're actively in those years. (And if you change the year in one of those links you can see even further ahead--the eligibility lists through 1989 can all be found that way.) Even if I were inclined to move Blind Chance at this point, it's a bit late considering enough people remembered it was eligible this year for it to perform decently well in the results

TMDaines

#49 Post by TMDaines » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:01 pm

Yeah, that is all fair, swo17. I need to get into the habit of scanning a month or two ahead, so I don't catch myself out.

I was just kicking myself for not having watched it, as it is one of the films I was most looking forward to this decade! I will get to it in the two-months round up at the end of the decade instead.

brundlefly

#50 Post by brundlefly » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:08 pm

It makes more contextual sense that way. Unless you're in 1988 and giving awards to works that have just come out, or you're prioritizing these lists vs. year-end lists from each year (never 100% anyway, given erratic distribution schedules), the great benefit of this year-by-year format is that you get to watch it with all the other things made that same year to get a better picture of the state of the world and the state of the art. And if you're going straight through Kieślowski's filmography, I'd want to see them in the order in which he made them to see his progress as an artist.