Eclipse Series 10: Silent Ozu—Three Family Comedies

Discuss releases in the Janus Contemporaries, Eclipse, and Essential Art House lines and the films on them.
krnash

Re: Eclipse Series 10: Silent Ozu—Three Family Comedies

#251 Post by krnash » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:30 am

Anyone know why I Was Born, But... has a 90 minute runtime on Hulu+ but is listed as 100 minutes on Criterion's website and iMDB? I guess my main question is, is the Hulu version truncated?

JonasEB

#252 Post by JonasEB » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:56 am

krnash wrote:Anyone know why I Was Born, But... has a 90 minute runtime on Hulu+ but is listed as 100 minutes on Criterion's website and iMDB? I guess my main question is, is the Hulu version truncated?
No, it's fine. IMDB is frequently wrong about these things and either Criterion simply copied its info or mixed it up with Passing Fancy (which is 100 minutes.)

D50

#253 Post by D50 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:21 pm

Did anyone else notice the scene right after the dad walks in with the plate of rice balls and the kids come in the house, the scene switches to a side view of the mom sitting, looking downward, and she's shuffling these playing card sized blocks, or packs with some design on them. Knowing Ozu's attention to detail, I wonder what these were?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#254 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:39 pm

D50 wrote:Did anyone else notice the scene right after the dad walks in with the plate of rice balls and the kids come in the house, the scene switches to a side view of the mom sitting, looking downward, and she's shuffling these playing card sized blocks, or packs with some design on them. Knowing Ozu's attention to detail, I wonder what these were?
Possibly this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanafuda" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

D50

#255 Post by D50 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:22 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
D50 wrote:Did anyone else notice the scene right after the dad walks in with the plate of rice balls and the kids come in the house, the scene switches to a side view of the mom sitting, looking downward, and she's shuffling these playing card sized blocks, or packs with some design on them. Knowing Ozu's attention to detail, I wonder what these were?
Possibly this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanafuda" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Could be. We used to play Hanafuda as kids. These were thicker, seemed blocky, and larger. There was a medium close up of the shuffling, but it was not clear enough to make out the design on them. If they were Hanafuda, could be she was cutting them, thus the blocky appearance.