Eclipse Series 6: Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy

Discuss releases in the Janus Contemporaries, Eclipse, and Essential Art House lines and the films on them.
matrixschmatrix

Re: Eclipse Series 6: Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy

#51 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:54 pm

I got a piece of a deal like that once, where someone had inherited a giant movie collection full of rarities and valuable stuff, and sold it to me for $300- I felt a little sad breaking it up, since it felt like someone's diary in a way. You feel like you know a person when you see all the movies that interest them.

Professor Wagstaff

#52 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:58 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:You feel like you know a person when you see all the movies that interest them.
When I visit someone's home for the first time, I always like to see what movies/books they have on display to get a better sense of who they are. Even with small, generic collections for people who don't own a lot of titles, I tend to notice a film or two that don't quite fit with the rest. It always feels like discovering someone's secret (like spotting Throne of Blood mixed in with Will Ferrell movies and The Lord of the Rings).

mteller

#53 Post by mteller » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:32 am

Napier wrote:I got this for $6 at an estate sale today.
Seething with jealousy right now. Good for you, though.

MichaelB

#54 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:56 pm

Professor Wagstaff wrote:
matrixschmatrix wrote:You feel like you know a person when you see all the movies that interest them.
When I visit someone's home for the first time, I always like to see what movies/books they have on display to get a better sense of who they are. Even with small, generic collections for people who don't own a lot of titles, I tend to notice a film or two that don't quite fit with the rest. It always feels like discovering someone's secret (like spotting Throne of Blood mixed in with Will Ferrell movies and The Lord of the Rings).
If you visited my home, you'd get the impression that I was exclusively into mainstream blockbusters, TV sitcoms and children's films. Largely because all the stuff that my wife wouldn't touch with the proverbial ten-foot pole is kept elsewhere.

manicsounds

#55 Post by manicsounds » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:01 am

Good thing I waited. Happened to walk into the store where I saw the set for $70, and they had a Criterion sale, got it for 50% off. I guess $35 is not bad. I'll delve into the films eventually, but nice to have on the shelf (or closet in my case).

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#56 Post by Drucker » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:17 pm

Amazon is currently listing this as in-stock. Don't know if that's an error...but this had been up for 300 dollars or so a few months ago.

Professor Wagstaff

#57 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, Drucker. Took the plunge considering there's not much Suara to be found and I loved Cria Cuervos. Considering the rate even a used copy would resell for normally, I don't know why I'm not buying a couple copies.

Yakushima

#58 Post by Yakushima » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:02 am

Thank you, Drucker! Ordered one as well, fingers crossed it's not a glitch.

knives

#59 Post by knives » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:07 am

Same deal with the Orphic trilogy and I'm sure a few others, so it's likely just a glitch. All the same...

matrixschmatrix

#60 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:04 am

Wow, cool, ordered. I'm not convinced it's a glitch, I've seen things like the Chaplin Mutuals pop back into print for a little while before.

dustysomers

#61 Post by dustysomers » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:16 pm

Even if it is a glitch, a fulfilled by Amazon seller has beaten the new price by a penny for a like new copy. That one's very likely to actually be in stock.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#62 Post by Drucker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:26 pm

According to this... due in stock Oct. 9?

PS: I just chatted with an amazon person to see:
Me: Can you confirm for a fact that this will be sent on Oct 9? Just wanted to verify it's not a mistake that this is showing up. Thanks!
Prathap: Hello, my name is Prathap. I'll be happy to help you today.
Me: great. did you get my first message?
Prathap: Yes Robert. I can confirm that we will have it in stock on October 9, 2011. However please note you will receive the items between Oct 14, 2011 - Oct 19, 2011 as per your estimated delivery dates.
Me: Okay thanks a lot. This is out of print...so it was kind of a surprise to me. Would there be any way of you finding out if it's a glitch?
Prathap: No Robert, I'm sorry. However I can assure you, you will get this book.
Me: It's a DVD...but okay! I believe you Prathap...don't let me down!
Prathap: I meant the DVD. Sorry! Bad typo!
Me: It's okay. Thanks for the help!
I've chatted with them before and they were wrong... but I'll hold out faith! Even though I doubt this guy really has any more information than I could've gotten on my own. (just from using the website)

zedz

#63 Post by zedz » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Good luck, Drucker (and others). I remain skeptical (and I suspect that Prathap knew exactly as much about this whole issue as he could infer from the public Amazon page for the title), but I have managed to pick up long OOP items from Amazon in the past. It definitely a good idea to keep OOP items you want on your wishlist on the off-chance that some extra copies turn up.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#64 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:08 pm

There's still the possibility to find some old stocks during an inventory.
That's things that happens every day or so in my factory.
And when we find some, it can turn out to be 1.5 ton of enzymes, 22 000 € worth as a whole. \:D/

Professor Wagstaff

#65 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:03 am

Amazon currently has the price down to $33.49

neal

#66 Post by neal » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:30 am

knives wrote:Same deal with the Orphic trilogy and I'm sure a few others, so it's likely just a glitch. All the same...
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that the Orphic Trilogy has consistently been in stock even since going OOP. There seems to have been a large portion of whatever printing they did lying around unpurchased.

perkizitore

#67 Post by perkizitore » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:21 am

Any other Criterion OOPs expected in stock?

matrixschmatrix

#68 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:01 am

Mine's in the 'Shipping Soon' status, which never happened on the items that turned out to be permanently out of stock. Fingers crossed.

edit: Also, they've already charged me for it. I seriously think they've got some coming in.

If anyone ordered it before the price drop as I did- I contacted Amazon through the Help thing, and they gave me some promo credit to make up the difference, since the order hasn't actually shipped yet.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#69 Post by Drucker » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:59 am

neal wrote:
knives wrote:Same deal with the Orphic trilogy and I'm sure a few others, so it's likely just a glitch. All the same...
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that the Orphic Trilogy has consistently been in stock even since going OOP. There seems to have been a large portion of whatever printing they did lying around unpurchased.
Never seen it "in stock" but there's consistently inventory in the marketplace.

matrixschmatrix

#70 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:05 am

Wow, this is currently the highest-selling Criterion related item on Amazon, and nearly in the top 500 in TV and Movies overall- they're going to piss off a lot of people if this is a mistake. There's no way this could actually be coming back into print, could it?

mteller

#71 Post by mteller » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:01 am

Of course this happens a month after I spend $100 on eBay for it. sigh

thatobscurecharm

#72 Post by thatobscurecharm » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:23 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote: If anyone ordered it before the price drop as I did- I contacted Amazon through the Help thing, and they gave me some promo credit to make up the difference, since the order hasn't actually shipped yet.
I e-mailed them about the price change and gave me a very vague response. Basically they sort-of reiterated what I found in the help section. What should I ask them again?

perkizitore

#73 Post by perkizitore » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:33 pm

I cancelled and re-ordered, i hope i didn't lose my place in the queue :P

matrixschmatrix

#74 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:40 pm

thatobscurecharm wrote:
matrixschmatrix wrote: If anyone ordered it before the price drop as I did- I contacted Amazon through the Help thing, and they gave me some promo credit to make up the difference, since the order hasn't actually shipped yet.
I e-mailed them about the price change and gave me a very vague response. Basically they sort-of reiterated what I found in the help section. What should I ask them again?
Try calling or direct chat, the emailing one works far less often.

Yakushima

#75 Post by Yakushima » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:42 pm

to matrixschmatrix: Thank you for the heads-up, I called Amazon right away and got a credit for price difference toward a next order.