Eclipse Series 6: Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy

Discuss releases in the Janus Contemporaries, Eclipse, and Essential Art House lines and the films on them.
knives

Re: Collecting Criterion

#126 Post by knives » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:52 pm

zedz wrote:I find it remarkable that in the general population 1 in 10,000 people have perfect pitch, but in online DVD fora it's more like one in two. Of course, it is supposed to be more common among people with autism. . .
I hope this isn't directed at me. If so though I have a much more boring answer than autism just a victim of Jewish 'inbreeding'.

Matt

Re: Eclipse Series 6: Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy

#127 Post by Matt » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:53 pm

I don't know that I have perfect pitch, but I'm very sensitive to pitch (and tempo) changes in music I'm familiar with. My old UK PAL DVD of Lukas Moodysson's Tillsammans was unwatchable thanks to the ABBA songs on the soundtrack. I threw it out the second I got the US NTSC DVD.

albucat

#128 Post by albucat » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:00 pm

Perfect pitch tends to be a weird obsession for people who aren't particularly knowledgeable about music. It's not very difficult to tell when pitches have been altered or when they're off, and has little to do with perfect pitch. I'm sure we can all tell when a framerate is off without trying, and it's a similar sort of thing.

rwaits

#129 Post by rwaits » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:46 pm

All Along the Watchtower in Withnail & I has always driven me nuts.

MichaelB

#130 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:29 am

albucat wrote:I'm sure we can all tell when a framerate is off without trying.
Between 24fps and 25fps? By eye? I seriously doubt that.

Or rather, while you might have that truly exceptional ability, it's certainly not true that we all do!

manicsounds

#131 Post by manicsounds » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:06 am

Well considering the Eclipse titles don't have spine numbers, it wouldn't be that much of a problem.

But as for music, yeah if it's a pitch off, it doesn't bother me too much. I'm used to it.
When I was a teenager, my old tape player played back tapes at a slightly faster rate, so songs sounded slightly faster.
My record player plays back slightly faster as well with no pitch control. It's like I was prepared for PAL speedup.

Now speeddown on the other hand does make things a little frustrating to the ears.

eerik

#132 Post by eerik » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:17 pm

Out on Blu-ray next month in Spain. English subtitles and a 64-page book.

Amazon.es