Eclipse Series 6: Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy

Discuss releases in the Janus Contemporaries, Eclipse, and Essential Art House lines and the films on them.
cache-cache

Re: Eclipse Series 6: Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy

#101 Post by cache-cache » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:47 am

I wonder how much stock they have. Although certainly have enough stock to decimate worrying on the board and fill up eBay with copies of the eclipse... There's even a etailer stocking 20 copies! :shock:

JOI

#102 Post by JOI » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:43 pm

knives wrote:Mine has supposedly shipped too. This is becoming too good to be true, when is a kitten going to maul me to death?
My set just arrived today in case you're still incredulous :)

matrixschmatrix

#103 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Mine showed up today, too. No question that it's a brand new copy. Looks like the price has gone back up some on Amazon, but no indication that they're running out of copies yet.

YnEoS

#104 Post by YnEoS » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Just placed my order today, they still seem to be in stock.

Also searching around it seems like a whole bunch of other OOP titles are in stock. I've got a lot of these already, but anyone got any tips on which ones are worth picking up IE: were actually out of stock and going for ridiculous prices, or are just very good DVD releases that aren't available in comparable editions elsewhere?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#105 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Mind letting us know what other OOP titles are available?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#106 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:38 pm

There's a list in the stickied OOP thread

Tom Hagen

#107 Post by Tom Hagen » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Uh, apparently Contempt for one!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#108 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Noiradelic

#109 Post by Noiradelic » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:22 pm

For the really lazy, Drucker's post minus Long Good Friday and Woman is a Woman.

manicsounds

#110 Post by manicsounds » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:10 am

"Carmen" BD review

I know, it's not the same as the movie in the Eclipse set, but still with Carlos Saura & Antonio Gades directing.

manicsounds

#111 Post by manicsounds » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:48 am

"Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy" is being released in the UK via StudioCanal, on DVD on April 23rd, individually. For people who don't want to spend the OOP prices, this is a good alternative.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#112 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:22 am

Here's an extremely subjective question for you: I own this set, but have never watched it. I will be going to Spain next week, and think I'll have time to fit one of these films in before I go. Which would be the best to put me in a spanish mood and get me excited about the trip?

mteller

#113 Post by mteller » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Carmen is the best of them, IMHO, but El Amor Brujo will probably give you more of a "Spanish mood".

manicsounds

#114 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:44 am

Warner Japan is releasing "Carmen" (1983) on Blu-ray on October 10th 2013

The other 2 Flamenco Trilogy titles will be available the same day but on DVD only. All 3 come with Japanese subtitles only.

Donald Brown

#115 Post by Donald Brown » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:43 am

I'd love Blood Wedding on Blu. It doesn't have a lot of dialogue, so no subs would be a minor inconvenience.

peerpee
not perpee

Re: Collecting Criterion

#116 Post by peerpee » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:43 pm

MichaelB wrote:But aside from that apparently all-important spine number, there's nothing special about Criterion's Carlos Saura edition (which I have, although I paid a tiny fraction of the current going rate) - it's three barebones DVDs in very basic packaging. I don't imagine it was one of their more challenging production jobs!
Ah, but it's NTSC, 24fps, and without PAL-speedup / audio speedup of 4% / a whole semitone. Which is why I sought out the Eclipse set and will be keeping it!

knives

#117 Post by knives » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:46 pm

peerpee wrote:
MichaelB wrote:But aside from that apparently all-important spine number, there's nothing special about Criterion's Carlos Saura edition (which I have, although I paid a tiny fraction of the current going rate) - it's three barebones DVDs in very basic packaging. I don't imagine it was one of their more challenging production jobs!
Ah, but it's NTSC, 24fps, and without PAL-speedup / audio speedup of 4% / a whole semitone. Which is why I sought out the Eclipse set and will be keeping it!
And for such musically enriched films that's probably a valid concern for once.

MichaelB

#118 Post by MichaelB » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:51 pm

knives wrote:And for such musically enriched films that's probably a valid concern for once.
Not if you're not familiar with the original score.

knives

#119 Post by knives » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Whatever do you mean? I'm familiar with the source scores for two of the films which only makes me more concerned to hear them 'properly'. Why would familiarity chuck out the importance of hearing the music at the correct pitch and speed?

MichaelB

#120 Post by MichaelB » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:26 pm

knives wrote:Whatever do you mean? I'm familiar with the source scores for two of the films which only makes me more concerned to hear them 'properly'. Why would familiarity chuck out the importance of hearing the music at the correct pitch and speed?
Because if I'm not familiar with the source scores, why will it matter to me if they're at a different pitch?

And I doubt that you could detect a 4% speedup by ear without prior warning - you'll encounter far greater variations between recordings by different performers.

knives

#121 Post by knives » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:31 pm

For talking I'll admit I don't notice, but for music it is painfully obvious to me. Perhaps it is because I'm more aware of the music or some other cheap trick, but PAL for musically based films strikes me as a death sentence.

MichaelB

#122 Post by MichaelB » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:47 pm

knives wrote:For talking I'll admit I don't notice, but for music it is painfully obvious to me. Perhaps it is because I'm more aware of the music or some other cheap trick, but PAL for musically based films strikes me as a death sentence.
Unless of course it's been pitch-corrected or the material originated at 25fps, and we don't know if the former isn't true.

(I'm guessing it isn't, but if I was producing the DVDs myself I'd certainly look into it).

knives

#123 Post by knives » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:19 pm

MichaelB wrote:
knives wrote:For talking I'll admit I don't notice, but for music it is painfully obvious to me. Perhaps it is because I'm more aware of the music or some other cheap trick, but PAL for musically based films strikes me as a death sentence.
Unless of course it's been pitch-corrected or the material originated at 25fps, and we don't know if the former isn't true.

(I'm guessing it isn't, but if I was producing the DVDs myself I'd certainly look into it).
I would hope at least the later matter would go without saying.

Moe Dickstein

#124 Post by Moe Dickstein » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:32 pm

I guess I'm unlucky but the year I lived in a PAL country so long as I had seen the actor before, I could tell instantly on the voices let alone the music.

zedz

#125 Post by zedz » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:12 pm

I find it remarkable that in the general population 1 in 10,000 people have perfect pitch, but in online DVD fora it's more like one in two. Of course, it is supposed to be more common among people with autism. . .