Janus Contemporaries: All That Breathes

Discuss releases in the Janus Contemporaries, Eclipse, and Essential Art House lines and the films on them.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Janus Contemporaries: All That Breathes

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:11 pm

From its poetic opening shot, Shaunak Sen’s All That Breathes establishes the documentary’s patient, observant, and remarkably cinematic approach to telling the story of a pair of brothers in Delhi running a makeshift bird hospital out of the basement of their soap dispenser factory. That commitment to capturing the smallest of details and grace notes with dexterous camerawork really pays off in making a small, specific story feel all-encompassing and universal; smooth, slow pans make claustrophobic shots bloom into panoramas, and focus pulls draw your eye to tiny dramas occurring amidst everyday life. There are several shots that make noteworthy use of water and reflections, deftly illustrating the overlap between the human and animal worlds in this megalopolis. Most of these more painterly visuals are further elevated by Roger Gould’s shimmering, ethereal score, while other moments are delightful for their impromptu surprises, like the sudden, surprising appearance of a small mammal after a tense phone call or a kite snatching a pair of glasses off someone’s face.

Sen spends most of the film establishing the arbitrariness and pointlessness of some of the categorical barriers we erect between humans and other living creatures, and illustrating the value to us and those other creatures in tossing those barriers aside. Once he turns our attention more directly to the political and religious unrest being stirred in Modi’s India with the rise of Hindu nationalism, the idea that any differences between members of our own species are worthy of this kind of violence becomes absurd on its face. I won’t claim that the film entirely sticks the landing with its focus on an unresolved thread of sibling tension, but so much of it is sublime and moving that it’s easy to see why it’s won prizes at Sundance and Cannes in addition to snagging an Oscar nomination, and equally easy to recommend (I believe it's on HBO Max at the moment).

Matt

Re: The Films of 2022

#2 Post by Matt » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:56 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:11 pm
From its poetic opening shot, Shaunak Sen’s All That Breathes establishes the documentary’s patient, observant, and remarkably cinematic approach to telling the story of a pair of brothers in Delhi running a makeshift bird hospital out of the basement of their soap dispenser factory. That commitment to capturing the smallest of details and grace notes with dexterous camerawork really pays off in making a small, specific story feel all-encompassing and universal; smooth, slow pans make claustrophobic shots bloom into panoramas, and focus pulls draw your eye to tiny dramas occurring amidst everyday life. There are several shots that make noteworthy use of water and reflections, deftly illustrating the overlap between the human and animal worlds in this megalopolis. Most of these more painterly visuals are further elevated by Roger Gould’s shimmering, ethereal score, while other moments are delightful for their impromptu surprises, like the sudden, surprising appearance of a small mammal after a tense phone call or a kite snatching a pair of glasses off someone’s face.

Sen spends most of the film establishing the arbitrariness and pointlessness of some of the categorical barriers we erect between humans and other living creatures, and illustrating the value to us and those other creatures in tossing those barriers aside. Once he turns our attention more directly to the political and religious unrest being stirred in Modi’s India with the rise of Hindu nationalism, the idea that any differences between members of our own species are worthy of this kind of violence becomes absurd on its face. I won’t claim that the film entirely sticks the landing with its focus on an unresolved thread of sibling tension, but so much of it is sublime and moving that it’s easy to see why it’s won prizes at Sundance and Cannes in addition to snagging an Oscar nomination, and equally easy to recommend (I believe it's on HBO Max at the moment).
I want to second the recommendation for this documentary (which is indeed streaming on HBO Max). Its (and the brothers’) focus on the work of rescuing avian raptors—mainly the kites native to India which are increasingly succumbing to air pollution and other environmental threats—is inspiring, but the intrusion of the outside world, especially the political violence happening very nearby which threatens not only their work but their home, provides a sobering reminder that no one, no matter how noble or innocent, is immune to the threats posed simply by living in the world.

knives

Re: Forthcoming: All That Breathes

#4 Post by knives » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:27 pm

I thought this was okay and occasionally beautiful, but not that exciting on the whole.

aox

Re: Forthcoming: All That Breathes

#5 Post by aox » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:40 am

knives wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:27 pm
I thought this was okay and occasionally beautiful, but not that exciting on the whole.
I watched it last night and felt similarly. There has been this movement to shoot documentaries like feature films (narratively and cinematographily), and this documentary sort of epitomizes it. It's a beautiful film, but it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. It doesn't dive deep enough into politics or philosophy and straddles the thin line of not having much to say. I did find the section on adaptation (in the context of evolution) interesting and somewhat moving. I wasn't sure if I was angry or humbled by it.

FrauBlucher

Re: Janus Films

#6 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:50 pm