Essential Art House: 50 Years of Janus Films

Discuss releases in the Janus Contemporaries, Eclipse, and Essential Art House lines and the films on them.
Jeff

Re: Essential Arthouse

#276 Post by Jeff » Sat May 09, 2009 9:34 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:Emerging Pictures, a digital theatrical distribution company, will be touring twelve titles from the Essential Arthouse series around the country...The titles are 400 Blows, Black Orpheus, High & Low, Jules & Jim, Knife In The Water, La Strada, Pygmalion, Seven Samurai, Seventh Seal, Summertime, Spirit Of The Beehive, Wild Strawberries.
What an odd choice for Janus, especially after running an extensive 35mm print tour within the last couple of years. I've been fortunate to see seven of those twelve titles in very nice 35mm prints. My experience with digital projection at my local cinemateque (Starz FIlmcenter) has been similar to yours. The scaling on subtitles is especially unpleasant on the big screen.

visuallyimpaired

#277 Post by visuallyimpaired » Sat May 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Does that fact that the above mentioned titles are touring art houses around the country give any hope that a blu-ray edition of "Summertime" could be named in the next list of titles to get the b-r treatment.

It seems as if we are nearing the end of the original b-r list (but when is that friggin' 'Contempt' going to get announced - maybe this Friday, huh?) Would also make sense to do the gorgeous 'In The Mood For Love' in the next round. Am I crazy, or are these possibilities??

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#278 Post by swo17 » Sun May 10, 2009 1:48 am

visuallyimpaired wrote:when is that friggin' 'Contempt' going to get announced
Hate to break it to you, but...

ZizouJuve

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation

#279 Post by ZizouJuve » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:40 pm

Le Jour se leve

Kinda bummed its not in the main line, but I can accept it.

denti alligator

#280 Post by denti alligator » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:43 pm

ZizouJuve wrote:Le Jour se leve
Wow, not even a spine number for this classic!

zedz

#282 Post by zedz » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:04 pm

It's interesting that we're starting to get a number of non-Criterion titles in this line (this makes, what, four now?). Le jour se leve is a surprise, given its reputation, but if they couldn't manage any compelling extras for it, it's better off to be here at the lower price. Of the others, I've seen Gervaise and found it middling. Does anybody recommend Mayerling?

Shrew
The Untamed One

#283 Post by Shrew » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:15 pm

Seems like Arthouse is essentially becoming a miniature Eclipse for miscellaneous films Criterion isn't sure what to do with. Not enough of related films to make an eclipse set, and not enough extras/interest to get a spine number.

It's certainly more interesting than the original "All your old favorites- but cheaper!" approach.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#284 Post by Tribe » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Are these going to make it the main line at any point? I've been wanting to see Le jour se leve for quite some time..any real possibility these might be the only editions they have and won't release anything further?

justeleblanc

#285 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:42 pm

Shrew wrote:Seems like Arthouse is essentially becoming a miniature Eclipse for miscellaneous films Criterion isn't sure what to do with. Not enough of related films to make an eclipse set, and not enough extras/interest to get a spine number.

It's certainly more interesting than the original "All your old favorites- but cheaper!" approach.
More like a new version of HVE.

ianungstad

#286 Post by ianungstad » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:45 pm

I had asked Mulvaney the same question when The Last Holiday was announced and he replied that it may appear as a Criterion title in the future. So they could be possible double dips. Then again, they said the same thing about Eclipse and years later none of the Eclipse titles have been upgraded to a CC special edition.

Not a huge fan of this idea anyways. I woudl rather see these bundled in Eclipse sets. Even if they are only 2-3 titles like the Bernard or Fuller sets. The last thing Criterion needs is another line to dump unwanted/problematic titles. The Carne belongs in the mainline. Dissapointed.

Finch

#287 Post by Finch » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:49 pm

ZizouJuve wrote:Le Jour se leve
Think that settles it for me as to whether to finally buy the Optimum (cheap price & great cover).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#288 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:03 pm

zedz wrote: Does anybody recommend Mayerling?
I haven't seen it but Litvak is an underrated director who could really benefit from the popularity push the Criterion treatment could have provided. Sigh

so lightly here

Re: Essential Art House: 50 Years of Janus Films

#289 Post by so lightly here » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:41 pm

It seems that a new section needs to be added so that CC lesser labels can be discussed like "The Red Balloon" and now all of the EAH titles like "Mayerling". At the time they were announced it seemed to be assumed they would appear as regular CC titles. This seems unlikely now.

zedz

#290 Post by zedz » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:45 am

so lightly here wrote:It seems that a new section needs to be added so that CC lesser labels can be discussed like "The Red Balloon" and now all of the EAH titles like "Mayerling". At the time they were announced it seemed to be assumed they would appear as regular CC titles. This seems unlikely now.
Rather than adding a whole new section for the sake of a few, probably rarely discussed films, why not just change the Eclipse subforum to Eclipse / Essential Arthouse and routinely add threads for newly announced unique titles. Discussion of previously Criterioned titles should obviously remain in the parent thread, and should Essential Arthouse titles eventually get the Criterion treatment their threads can just be ported over.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#291 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:53 am

Seconded

George Kaplan

#292 Post by George Kaplan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:59 am

All in favor say "aye!"

Jeff

#293 Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:31 am

zedz wrote:Rather than adding a whole new section for the sake of a few, probably rarely discussed films, why not just change the Eclipse subforum to Eclipse / Essential Arthouse and routinely add threads for newly announced unique titles. Discussion of previously Criterioned titles should obviously remain in the parent thread, and should Essential Arthouse titles eventually get the Criterion treatment their threads can just be ported over.
A suggestion so fine that I went ahead and created the new threads. I also moved over the three children's films that were released under the "Janus Films" imprint.

Chull

#294 Post by Chull » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:26 am

Can anyone tell me how the boxes are packaged? That is - are the discs in individual cases, or is it some kind of fold-out job?

hammock

#295 Post by hammock » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:29 am

Chull wrote:Can anyone tell me how the boxes are packaged? That is - are the discs in individual cases, or is it some kind of fold-out job?
No boxes. They are clip-on's in cut-out holes in cardboard. They house 4 DVDs on each page.

Jeff

#296 Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:33 am

hammock wrote:
Chull wrote:Can anyone tell me how the boxes are packaged? That is - are the discs in individual cases, or is it some kind of fold-out job?
No boxes. They are clip-on's in cut-out holes in cardboard. They house 4 DVDs on each page.
Like so:

[img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/product_images/123/Janusboxsetstill.png[/img]

Tommaso

#297 Post by Tommaso » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:32 am

This looks very worryingly like 'Murnau-Borzage-Fox'. I assume they are not scratched, though?

Chull

#298 Post by Chull » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:09 pm

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was wondering how the 6-disc sets were packaged.

Zazou dans le Metro

#299 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:37 pm

Seeing that I got Mulvaneyed a couple of months back with 'we have no plans...etc etc' re 'Le Jour se leve' I'm wondering if we now have to be extra pedantic in our enquiries and ask what particular livery our favourites might be sporting.

In fairness there aren't many specific extras that relate to Jour, even the Studio Canal is hard pressed with an interview with Gabin where he doesn't mention the film,but is it mere fetishism that would like to see a spine number on this?

At least it's out in R1 land and maybe the Essential line now paves the way for a less cultish Eclipse option for more classic titles that would otherwise not fit any particular bill/price structure.

Tommaso

#300 Post by Tommaso » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:10 pm

Zazou dans le Metro wrote: maybe the Essential line now paves the way for a less cultish Eclipse option for more classic titles that would otherwise not fit any particular bill/price structure.
I hope so, too. But then I wonder why they didn't simply create another line; I never really bothered to look at the Essential line before, seeing that these were all stripped-down releases of films available in the CC line. I always regarded the extras and the booklets as essential features of the original releases, and wouldn't even want to think of a barebones "Tales of Hoffmann" without "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" and audiocommentary, for instance. In other words: the four new films being dumped into Essential might even get less attention than if they were Eclipse releases. In any case, CC should decide whether they want Essential to be a cheapo re-release line or a line of exclusive, though barebones releases from now on. The situation as it is now is simply rather confusing.

And yes, I too want spine numbers for these films, considering "Button", "Che", "Monsoon Wedding" -or whatever else they deem to be more important than these films so that they give them the full treatment - will also get their numbers. It's not fetishism, but showing some respect to Carné or Litvak.
(Note: I never really cared before about CC releasing "Button" et al or not, but seeing that apparently almost ALL pre-50s films - with rare exceptions- now no longer seem to get the full treatment really makes me worry about the future of the collection. Even though I'm glad to see them out at least in this form).