Eclipse Series 44: Julien Duvivier in the Thirties

Discuss releases in the Janus Contemporaries, Eclipse, and Essential Art House lines and the films on them.
knives

Re: Eclipse Series 44: Julien Duvivier in the Thirties

#51 Post by knives » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:03 pm

I'm not Zionist nor right and dislike the implication of such. I find at the moment you are treating my comments in a way they are not just so you can imagine an argument I am posing which I find to be annoying. I am not saying the film is bad or even racist and even if I were I don't see how that would render me zionist since the film has nothing to do with Israel or right wing since I am fine with an anti-capitalist message and have already said so. My question above was really only just do I have things right with my Jew Suss comparison and if so wouldn't a more effective way of dealing with this idea of a bad jew be to show other types of jews such as the North African Jews which would be well known to the French.

Even if that is a no and the film for whatever reason must be askenormative then why show and criticize (at least in the film) the character blindly. A well characterized stereotype is still a stereotype and the film does nothing to comment upon such a stereotype (which I take to be your perspective) presenting it very straightforwardly though I could someone being able to argue the ending against my question which I hope someone does. I really liked your first response and would have liked more information like that, but for whatever reason you are reacting defensively and I just don't get it.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#53 Post by soundchaser » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Just finished this set last night. What a treasure the whole thing is. There's a particular scene in Un Carnet de Bal that cements Duvivier in my mind as one of the great early sound directors.
SpoilerShow
The astonishing sequence in which Christine goes to visit Thierry, the abortion doctor, is shot almost entirely in shifting Dutch angles. I think there are three layers at work here. Not only does this technique externalize Thierry's mental instability and the queasiness of his abusive relationship, but it also illustrates what could be his future as a ship's doctor (I forgot for a second that it wasn't taking place on a ship, so omnipresent is the movement). And by the end of the scene, Thierry is stumbling around as if the room is moving diegetically.
It's a fantastic layering that takes a simple camera technique and explores it in several facets in the span of maybe ten minutes. I'm not sure I've seen anything quite like it before.

Stefan Andersson

#54 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:07 am

"La tête d´un homme" has been restored in 4K, from the OCN and other materials. Billed as "version originale inédite", running 100 minutes:
https://www.cinematheque.fr/film/48359.html

The film is also billed at 100 minutes on this VOD service available in France, Germany and Austria:
https://www.lacinetek.com/fr/tous-les-f ... e-vod.html

The Eclipse version runs 93 minutes.
Runtime 88 minutes according to this: http://www.dvdclassik.com/critique/la-t ... e-duvivier

TMDaines

#55 Post by TMDaines » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:52 am

This set will be redundant pretty quick once it is all on Blu-ray.

knives

#56 Post by knives » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:17 am

As long as there are casual film fans it won't.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#57 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:02 pm

Also : this is from TF1, who pretty much don't release catalogue BDs themselves anymore, and sadly, not many people are picking those up in France (and the ones who do don't release tons of discs per year). In the US, it would require Criterion upgrading a title from an Eclipse set, which IIRC still remains yet unheard of. That leaves the UK as the best shot, with either Arrow Academy or Eureka, and Japan with IVC (who release quite a hefty amount of newly restored French movies). This isn't much.

The Pachyderminator

#58 Post by The Pachyderminator » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:17 pm

tenia wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:02 pm
In the US, it would require Criterion upgrading a title from an Eclipse set, which IIRC still remains yet unheard of.
Except for the Early Bergman titles that ended up in the box set.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#59 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:22 pm

Didn’t one of the Ozu early films end up as a Blu-Ray extra?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#60 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:23 pm

I Was Born But...

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#61 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:05 pm

The Pachyderminator wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:17 pm
tenia wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:02 pm
In the US, it would require Criterion upgrading a title from an Eclipse set, which IIRC still remains yet unheard of.
Except for the Early Bergman titles that ended up in the box set.
Oh right, I forgot about that. It's inside a boxset though, and not an individual release, so that probably was a different thought process for Criterion.
swo17 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:23 pm
I Was Born But...
This one however was more of an upscaled extra than a real upgrade (unlike the Bergmans).

This being written, some Eclipse movies WERE included elsewhere, so my bad.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#62 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:17 pm

Criterion is 100% going to upgrade Daisies at some point, bet money on it, so you’ll get a better example one of these days