Eclipse Series 26: Silent Naruse

Discuss DVDs released in the Eclipse and Essential Art House lines and the films on them.
Lemmy Caution

Bold No Blood

#101 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:11 pm

Well, I'm a little late to the Film Club discussion, but the FC got me to finally pop this disc in.
I really enjoyed No Blood Relation.
It had a dynamic feel to it and quite nice pacing.
I liked all of the supporting characters, from the selfish grandmother to the hoodlum brother and his goofy accomplice. I thought they were mixed in quite nicely, breaking up and supporting the simple main storyline.
I thought the sympathy with the stepmother was bold, but the biological mother isn't just a villain, but somebody who wants to belong and wants to recapture her life and place in society.

I also enjoyed the comedy of Flunky, Work Hard.
Again Naruse matches a little fella with a bigger guy, borrowing straight from early Hollywood comedies.
A lot of the physical gags were well done.
I liked when the boy explains his injury saying the other kid beat him up, but as the father starts heading over to the other kid's house to chastise the parents, he sees the other boy all beaten up approaching with his mother. So the father quickly hides. I got a kick out of the boy beating up the other kids by conking them on the heads with his clogs. The leap frog game has a few good moments. And it's a bitter humor just how desperate these men are for a little business/money. And finally, the grief montage was pretty impressive. I went back and watched that a few times.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Eclipse Series 26: Silent Naruse

#102 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:54 pm

Naruse made one last buddy comedy (with big guy and little guy) right after WW2, "Ore mo Omae mo" (which I call "You and Me, Pal" and IMDB calls "Between You and Me"). It really evokes the feel of the 1930s silent comedies of this sort made by Naruse and Ozu. Not one of his most sophisticated films, but enjoyable.